Interviewing Monday, Tell me the hard truth.

SBTY_Syndrome

Center Managers Hate Me
Newbie here.

As the title suggests, I am interviewing for a FT (Temp 2018) Package Delivery Driver off the street.

From what I have gathered by reading past threads, it is a very select few that actually get chosen. I applied on a whim and from what I have read, delivery seems like a good job and very sought after. But I am afraid of a bait and switch. Bring me in for delivery and sell me on loading stating I have to "work my way up".
Now I am a very hard worker, I workout 5 days a week and have been a fitness trainer and a gymnastics instructor. So physical and mental endurance is something I can handle. But I've also heard a lot of horror stories.

What are the odds that I can get the job off the street? (a pretty populated area not rural)
If I do have to work my way up, will I really have to wait years to get a driving position? and is it worth it?
If I don't get a drivers position, would it be better to get my CDL and reapply rather than taking loading and waiting?

(inb4 "you're a p.o.s you gotta shovel crap before you rank up" tough guy comment)

Box Ox

If I do have to work my way up, will I really have to wait years to get a driving position? and is it worth it?

Wait time is generally 1 day up to 15 years, depending on our location's needs. It's a few years at my center.

(inb4 "you're a p.o.s you gotta shovel crap before you rank up" tough guy comment)

a27b46227cbd5ce9c6c37885a5df4a14ca326ea459c936f0c41b848d89d0d128.jpg

would it be better to get my CDL and reapply rather than taking loading and waiting?

Don't need a CDL for package delivery driving and makes no difference in hiring if you have one as far as I know.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OP----ignore the previous posts.

I will try my best to answer your questions.

1. There will be no "bait and switch". You applied for a FT temp driver position and that is the one that you will be interviewing for. You will not have to start on the inside and work your way up.

2. I was hired off the street during a period of growth (1989) and we are currently in a period of growth so your chances are actually pretty good that you will also be hired.

3. The job is demanding but by no means impossible.

4. You are the only one who can answer the "is it worth it?" question. This depends upon your personal situation and, if your avatar picture is you, your age may be an issue.

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
Obviously it's different in every hub, but all I can say is my hub is the second largest in my state and they can't find any inside employees to drive so they are hiring a bunch off the streets. With the new tuesday-saturday routes they opened a bunch of new routes. It's worth applying now.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This company is on new ground with the Saturday Ground expansion, where I am at they are hiring drivers right off the street. It used to be a five-year wait for a part time employee to get a shot at driving. We simply don't have enough qualified inside employees to bid on driving jobs.

oldngray

nowhere special
This company is on new ground with the Saturday Ground expansion, where I am at they are hiring drivers right off the street. It used to be a five-year wait for a part time employee to get a shot at driving. We simply don't have enough qualified inside employees to bid on driving jobs.
It wouldn't surprise me if UPS Saturday drivers ended up looking like FedEx Ground.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Newbie here.

As the title suggests, I am interviewing for a FT (Temp 2018) Package Delivery Driver off the street.

From what I have gathered by reading past threads, it is a very select few that actually get chosen. I applied on a whim and from what I have read, delivery seems like a good job and very sought after. But I am afraid of a bait and switch. Bring me in for delivery and sell me on loading stating I have to "work my way up".
Now I am a very hard worker, I workout 5 days a week and have been a fitness trainer and a gymnastics instructor. So physical and mental endurance is something I can handle. But I've also heard a lot of horror stories.

What are the odds that I can get the job off the street? (a pretty populated area not rural)
If I don't get a drivers position, would it be better to get my CDL and reapply rather than taking loading and waiting?

Nothing you said matters...you will be their bitch...just a body

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Newbie here.

Your sweater is horrible looking. Don't wear it to the interview. Automatic rejection

SBTY_Syndrome

Center Managers Hate Me
Obviously it's different in every hub, but all I can say is my hub is the second largest in my state and they can't find any inside employees to drive so they are hiring a bunch off the streets. With the new tuesday-saturday routes they opened a bunch of new routes. It's worth applying now.
Why is it that they can't find people to drive? Unqualified? Drug test? Driving seems like a god sent if you've been working loading for years. But that's just my outside opinion, I've yet to even step foot in a hub so I really am wondering why.

SBTY_Syndrome

Center Managers Hate Me
OP----ignore the previous posts.

I will try my best to answer your questions.

1. There will be no "bait and switch". You applied for a FT temp driver position and that is the one that you will be interviewing for. You will not have to start on the inside and work your way up.

2. I was hired off the street during a period of growth (1989) and we are currently in a period of growth so your chances are actually pretty good that you will also be hired.

3. The job is demanding but by no means impossible.

4. You are the only one who can answer the "is it worth it?" question. This depends upon your personal situation.

Thank you for the information. Good to know they're in a growth period and I have a better shot than the 2% people said in previous threads.

if your avatar picture is you, your age may be an issue.
I'm about 50 years younger than the man in my avatar so no worries.

Over 70

#1 It's not as easy as people think No matter what the pay is. Drivers are a tough gritty bunch.

#2 Many long time loaders are actually making $20+/hr or more at their PART time job with full benefits. The inside workers see the trucks they load daily and say screw that day in and day out.

#3 Driving requires a certain level of maturity that many young kids don't have as early in our current society. Many of the PT'ers at my hub are young kids in college or not much on the ball. Not interested in UPS for a career.

#4 There are plenty of PT'ers that do try to go driving and realize no amount of money makes them like it. It's quite a bit of pressure until they break you and your give a :censored2: goes to the bare minimum.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Why is it that they can't find people to drive? Unqualified? Drug test? Driving seems like a god sent if you've been working loading for years. But that's just my outside opinion, I've yet to even step foot in a hub so I really am wondering why.
You'll see