Iraq 10 years after

av8torntn

I never said the US hid the weapons, just the US sold the weapons.

How did they sell something that they didn't have or how did they manage to hide it from congress all these years. The most credible and believable allegations seem to be the the U.S. sold the materials and knowledge to produce them or simply looked the other way.

Added
Another interesting question to me would be if they were all US made why would they not just turn them over to the UN and avoid war?

Last edited:

wkmac

How did they sell something that they didn't have or how did they manage to hide it from congress all these years. The most credible and believable allegations seem to be the the U.S. sold the materials and knowledge to produce them or simply looked the other way.

If by "they" you mean the gov't or elements within, the Reason piece I linked spoke to that. (see below) It was also to add Iraq in it's outcome over Iran. As for the rest, now that some of the lid has been lifted, I'm good with seeing where this goes.

Why didn't the government reveal their existence? Possibly because they were embarassed that they were wrong, or perhaps because in some cases the U.S. and some of its Western allies had played a role in designing or creating the weapons in the first place:

Participants in the chemical weapons discoveries said the United States suppressed knowledge of finds for multiple reasons, including that the government bristled at further acknowledgment it had been wrong. “They needed something to say that after Sept. 11 Saddam used chemical rounds,” Mr. Lampier said. “And all of this was from the pre-1991 era.”

Others pointed to another embarrassment. In five of six incidents in which troops were wounded by chemical agents, the munitions appeared to have been designed in the United States, manufactured in Europe and filled in chemical agent production lines built in Iraq by Western companies.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

What is your motivation to disbelieve that REAGAN supplied Saddam with chemical and biological weapons?

EVERY weapons inspector has documented such. The record is very clear.

Now of course, this isnt something the USA wants to promote and the fewer people that know about it the better.

The REAGAN administration LOOKED the other way all the way up to the gassing of the kurds. Reagan knew OUR weapons were used to kill almost 7500 people (the kurds) and he was ultimately going to be held responsible for it.

He chose to IGNORE it.

The decaying weapons found in IRAQ represent NOTHING new as these weapons were already tagged and scheduled for destruction.

The Iraqi government failed to secure them and allthough they are useless, ISIS seems to have access to them.

You can rally for BUSH, but his claims of WMD's still stands as the greatest lie ever told to americans.

TOS.

av8torntn

If by "they" you mean the gov't or elements within, the Reason piece I linked spoke to that. (see below) It was also to add Iraq in it's outcome over Iran. As for the rest, now that some of the lid has been lifted, I'm good with seeing where this goes.

Aiding in the design and manufacture seems different to me than selling.

ImWaitingForTheDay

Annoy a conservative....Think for yourself
The US was happy to help arm Saddam Hussein with chemical weapons (sarin, mustard gas, etc.) to use against the Iranians. That worked out really well, of course. No blowback or future troubles ever happened. And didn't Reagen send weapons to Iran for some hostages, though he denied it until he couldn't anymore. "Mistakes were made...."

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The US was happy to help arm Saddam Hussein with chemical weapons (sarin, mustard gas, etc.) to use against the Iranians. And so he did. That worked out really well, of course. No blowback or future troubles ever happened. And didn't Reagen send weapons to Iran for some hostages, though he denied it until he couldn't anymore. "Mistakes were made...."

REAGANITES will never admit to such.

Holding Reagan partially responsible for gassing the kurds never crosses the minds of the blind. Pretending that Saddam Hussein had his own chemical weapons program just seems more believable to the bush faithful.

TOS.

av8torntn

REAGANITES will never admit to such.

Holding Reagan partially responsible for gassing the kurds never crosses the minds of the blind. Pretending that Saddam Hussein had his own chemical weapons program just seems more believable to the bush faithful.

TOS.

Yes troll because as we all know something that happened in 2009 had to be Reagans fault.

wkmac

Seems to me that the disclosure of Iraq chemical weapons having connections to the US as an enabler would be an embarrassment. Since the post WW1 days, the US has been a leading proponent of banning chemical weapons on the battlefield and especially against civilian populations. I could see the need of silence being necessary to not expose to the world how once again Washington speaks with forked tongue!

oldngray

nowhere special
It's funny watching the liberals scrambling for excuses to explain the WMD's that they claimed never existed which now falling into the hands on ISIS.

ImWaitingForTheDay

Annoy a conservative....Think for yourself
Yes troll because as we all know something that happened in 2009 had to be Reagans fault.
And let's remember what party was in charge when that decision was made...as well as what famous US political figure was photographed shaking hands with good ol' Saddam when the deal was cut. (Hint: he was George W. Bush's Secretary of Defense.).....NeoCons don't believe in looking back. History is so inconvenient and troublesome right av8??????

av8torntn

Seems to me that the disclosure of Iraq chemical weapons having connections to the US as an enabler would be an embarrassment. Since the post WW1 days, the US has been a leading proponent of banning chemical weapons on the battlefield and especially against civilian populations. I could see the need of silence being necessary to not expose to the world how once again Washington speaks with forked tongue!

I don't know. It seems like everyone thinks that they were US made weapons anyway so I don't see the issue.

av8torntn

And let's remember what party was in charge when that decision was made...as well as what famous US political figure was photographed shaking hands with good ol' Saddam when the deal was cut. (Hint: he was George W. Bush's Secretary of Defense.).....NeoCons don't believe in looking back. History is so inconvenient and troublesome right av8??????

I know right? If only we had someone smarter as president in 2009. I don't know. Maybe a community organizer?