Irregulars becoming regular

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Is it just me or is there a massive increase in the amount of irregulars being accepted into the system. I don't mean the odd farm implement or crazy shaped box but the irregular boxes that are clearly over the UPS allowed measurements of 165".

I know there are some additional charges for "over maximum limits" but does anyone know what those actual max limits are? Today I picked up a futon that was 96"x 55"x 20". Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that is way over 165".

Maybe other centers take action on these extremely large items but mine does not. Is this the norm for your centers as well or has UPS just gotten to the point where it does not care anymore? It's bad enough when the weights are nowhere close to the contents of the box and nothing gets done to these shippers claiming 1lb for an 85lb box but the sizing thing really annoys me.

Satuirus2000

Not exactly irregulars, but in my hub we're constantly getting packages that weigh over 150ibs in the system. We're talking about 190-200 lbs. I refuse to touch them cause we have a Freight facility for a reason, but we always get some BS reason as to why we have no choice but to run it through the regular UPS Air system. Such crap, and then in the next breath you hear management crying about safety. Whatever.

scooby0048

The amount of massive packages has increased tremendously over the last 5 years or so.

I remember in 08' people would flip out getting one of those mini fridges saying those were too big. Now it seems anything goes. I too have seen mattresses, big ole honking generators that weigh 200lbs, a naked engine block, and some other large stuff. When is it going to end? Trucks are blown out and pretty soon, they will need a route just to handle all the oversized / over weight boxes.

Part of me really wants to be a jerk and request another member help for over 70's but I know that would just make someone else fall behind and resentful, and I'm sure management would find a way to screw with me afterwards so it's just not worth it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Part of me really wants to be a jerk and request another member help for over 70's but I know that would just make someone else fall behind and resentful, and I'm sure management would find a way to screw with me afterwards so it's just not worth it.

Why would it make you a jerk? It's a contractual right.

BrownTexas

It's simple. You have less drivers that know what is acceptable to pick up. So they are accepting packages that are too large. All you have to do is tell the shipper "sorry, that doesn't meet out shipping requirements. Your going to have to ship that freight." Been there and done that. Even got backed up by my "management team".

Cementups

Box Monkey
We've kind of taken a different swing on the USPS's motto...

If it fits, it ships!!

So, if we can get it on the truck then it goes along for the ride.

scooby0048

Why would it make you a jerk? It's a contractual right.

Yeah I know and that's why I said I should exercise that right BUT...I know that my partners would be resentful...I would be if I had to come across town just to help lift a package. I guess my point should have been maybe something would get done if someone took a stand but for something to really get done, all the drivers in the center need to be on the same page making management send help if they are going to allow these super-sized packages not just one or two of us.

We've kind of taken a different swing on the USPS's motto...
If it fits, it ships!!
So, if we can get it on the truck then it goes along for the ride.

Yeah all for the almighty $$...

T

Turdferguson

Not exactly irregulars, but in my hub we're constantly getting packages that weigh over 150ibs in the system. We're talking about 190-200 lbs. I refuse to touch them cause we have a Freight facility for a reason, but we always get some BS reason as to why we have no choice but to run it through the regular UPS Air system. Such crap, and then in the next breath you hear management crying about safety. Whatever.
Article 44 section 3 of master they can not make you move or touch that package. File on them

Sent using BrownCafe App

fres431

I remember in 08' people would flip out getting one of those mini fridges saying those were too big. Now it seems anything goes. I too have seen mattresses, big ole honking generators that weigh 200lbs, a naked engine block, and some other large stuff. When is it going to end? Trucks are blown out and pretty soon, they will need a route just to handle all the oversized / over weight boxes.

If your get hurt lifting a overweight by yourself without asking for help ups will blame you for injury(yes I know they do that already) but it will be more severe

scooby0048

Article 44 section 3 of master they can not make you move or touch that package. File on them
If your get hurt lifting a overweight by yourself without asking for help ups will blame you for injury(yes I know they do that already) but it will be more severe

These are not new concepts, been like that for years. People file and people get hurt but yet UPS is still allowing these increasingly monster items into package division. I am a firm believer that no action is ever taken towards the small things until they become large things.

fres431

If the employer fails to make changes to health and Safety issue is gross negligence. I personally have threaten to call OSHA and report issues. I try and be nice guy give them a chance to fix it themselves..then I grieve it so it's on record and if they fail to do anything I report to division manager about calling OSHA. It gets fixed amazingly. Funny how that works :)

By The Book

With that thought process you will hurt yourself moving one of those and not turn it in as as workers comp. injury, because you're sure management will find a way to screw with you. So how do you get it done without feeling guilty? You have a talk with the driver on both sides of you and call each other and set up meet times that work best for everyone and help each other. No one gets hurt and you count on each other.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

I see your point...but at the same time...the minute you got hurt on the job while delivering a 100lb+ overweight...management will be riding your sack saying...why didn't you ask for help???