Is a person's scheduled day off counted towards the 3 day occurence policy?

quad decade guy

The easiest way to look at it, is the company can change company policy.

But, when they try and take the position of disciplinary action for violation

of those new policies.... is when it becomes the subject of mandatory bargaining.

I've never seen anything in writing. They can differ between facilities and even

between full and part-time. That being said.... you really have to have serious problems

for getting disciplined for attendance.

You'll see people on here suggest it be contractual language, which is a bad move.

Right now, there is leeway to work with people. Put it in the contract.... and

everyones hands are tied.

-Bug-

Well, I don't know what you call "serious problems" but no call no show and cause an

air trailer to be missed or something like that and I've seen people fired on the spot.

Whether it sticks, depends. I've never really understood the whole "reduced to

3 day suspension" or "working terminations".... huh?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Article and Section number?

Unless you're referring to the infamous Central Region 17i.

That's exactly it.

When it was first negotiated, that's what "other serious offenses" were....

it was just over the years that the company started using it for anything they could

think of. And sad to say, once that door was opened by the lower panels, they never

got it shut until the last 2 contracts. I had one labor guy take out a whole family

with 17-i. Got dad (driver) for sexual harassment, mom (can't remember) and

the son (racist comments and jokes). He laughed saying 17-i got him a trifecta.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Got dad (driver) for sexual harassment, mom (can't remember) and the son (racist comments and jokes). He laughed saying 17-i got him a trifecta.

Let me preface this by saying I would never condone the above behavior for any reason. Now we are just two fellas talking, but in those examples, how could sexual harassment and racist jokes be so egregious to cause removal and subsequent termination?

The only way I could see sexual harassment being egregious is with physical contact. In that case, the unwanted behavior would more than likely fall under unlawful sexual contact /conduct. (Not only a criminal offense but a workplace violence thing)

The racist jokes, well, I could see the company using the workplace violence label to terminate but my question would be, since when did saying something constitute an egregious behavior? Words might evoke and provoke someone into violence but words alone cause no harm.

How did these terminations stick?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That's exactly it.

When it was first negotiated, that's what "other serious offenses" were....
it was just over the years that the company started using it for anything they could
think of. And sad to say, once that door was opened by the lower panels, they never
got it shut until the last 2 contracts. I had one labor guy take out a whole family
with 17-i. Got dad (driver) for sexual harassment, mom (can't remember) and
the son (racist comments and jokes). He laughed saying 17-i got him a trifecta.

I agree, in the Central, sexual harassment would fall under 17i.

But, no other Supplement has a 17i clause or sexual harassment listed as a Cardinal sin for termination.

I don't want to start a huge debate, because I think you get my point.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
How did these terminations stick?

Seriously ?

The only way I could see sexual harassment being egregious is with physical contact.

Uh.... being arrested for forced entry and attempted rape.

While on the clock and in uniform.

The racist jokes, well, I could see the company using the workplace violence label to terminate but my question would be, since when did saying something constitute an egregious behavior? Words might evoke and provoke someone into violence but words alone cause no harm.

Really ?

It's called financial liability, for allowing a hostile work environment.

Dude.... what planet do you live on ?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Seriously ?
Uh.... being arrested for forced entry and attempted rape. While on the clock and in uniform.

Really ?

It's called financial liability, for allowing a hostile work environment.

Dude.... what planet do you live on ?
Well since we are being dickheads tonight, yeah really dude. If you didn't leave out all the pertinent facts like attempted rape, then I wouldn't have asked. There's a big difference calling it sexual harassment when in fact it is attempted rape and forced entry.

And using a racist term is not hostile workplace unless the WORKPLACE does not curb the behavior of the person using the terms. It is discrimination and harassment though.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
An Emergency has come up and I plan to miss 4 days of work. I know I got a write up coming for it and I'll take it, but what I want to know is if my scheduled day off is Monday and I take Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday off, will I still need a doctors note to return? Does Monday count since I'm normally off for Mondays anyway?
unfortunately man you are going to have to take a hammer and hit your ankle, it’s going to hurt but the doctor will give you an excuse for a few days when they try to fire you..