Is being an overachiever at UPS worth it?

OPTION3

i have seen so many preloaders stuck loading 6 trucks, now management wont let them leave preload even when they request it.
they ask a shop steward and he tries to bs them to agree with management. i saw the funniest thing yesterday, had an unloader looking for a
grievance form which shop steward stone walled him so guy asked an air driver(he keeps them instock), best part was when the unloader
asked the pt sup he was filing against for a pen and wrote out the form in front of sup on his desk.
FYI… Your UNION HALL has cases of them….go to the hall and get as many as you want---the first few you file will probably make up the gas money and time

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Option, I've lived it...and what you call, "Work hard and they'll work you harder" I look at from a more positive perspective: Those who prove themselves responsible are given more responsibility. In the end, I am just trying to keep my job, which compensates me extremely well. Everyday I come to work and have it, I am very happy, and thus smile often and even sing. I don't mind helping people when I am happy, and my conscience won't allow me to not help them when I am miserable...mostly....

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
untitled.png

OPTION3

In the end, I am just trying to keep my job, which compensates me extremely well.
If that helps you rationalize taking it just a little deeper so be it, I try to never get in the way of those who can never get enough. Glad you are happy..Bon Appetite

Island

The grass isn't any greener on the other side. Those that have been with UPS for a lot of years may not realize how most other jobs suck worse. All the while paying much less too.
My job at UPS has been the worst I've ever had in my life. The current job market is the only thing keeping me there.

JL 0513

My job at UPS has been the worst I've ever had in my life. The current job market is the only thing keeping me there.

You're part time? If so, I get it.

If you are a driver, then you've already been with UPS too long to ever do something else that will pay anything decent, outside of a few exceptions.

That's what's most scary as a driver. The idea of ever getting hurt to the point of not being able to continue the job. $80K jobs don't grow on trees. Most of us would be stuck going into retail making peanuts because of a lack of education or other experience.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You're part time? If so, I get it.

If you are a driver, then you've already been with UPS too long to ever do something else that will pay anything decent, outside of a few exceptions.

That's what's most scary as a driver. The idea of ever getting hurt to the point of not being able to continue the job. $80K jobs don't grow on trees. Most of us would be stuck going into retail making peanuts because of a lack of education or other experience.
it happens to PTers too sometimes....I've been there too long to quit and go make less than half my hourly rate folding tshirts at the Gap for 40 hours a week.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I only like my job marginally more than I'd enjoy being homeless...

About the only thing I hated about being a pt loader was the pay.

As a full time loader, while at the PHL operation it was very smooth, as they took the directive of 'No OT for 22.3s' seriously. Every day I was done at 8:15, except maybe peak. OT was pretty much nonexistent, but it was the job most of you probably dream of working for UPS. Working FT at the metro Philly hub....looking back, I may have been harassed, but didn't see it for that back then; now, it's water under the bridge.

People and situations happen that can make me angry, but I don't have to stay angry. I'd rather not. I prefer to be on people's good side, so maybe my experience is somewhat unique. However, I really have mainly worked for and with fair mgmt teams, except for one female dispatch supe. And I know the backbreaking work is everywhere, including my center, but I believe most people's experience would be somewhere between mine and ya'll s.

Ashell

Its worth it not to make mistakes or damage people packages. That takes time. Mistakes will get you fired and damaged packages will piss off customers or both.

I always say the 3 ways to get ahead at UPS are, love jesus, be military, or suck a (male part of the body). Everything else is seniority. So you have to think, is it worth your aches and pains at the end of the day? or possible injury? Work smart. Work safe. Work the system. Those are the keys to the dogma of UPS.