Is it normal for a local to be backed up on grievances?

UnionGuy

Our local is so backed up on hearings that we still have some grievances since July 2020 not yet heard. I have filed so many grievances since November and December 2020 that haven't been heard. I'll excuse the ones I filed in January and feb. But since July 2020?? Our BA has been avoiding our area when he does walk arounds. I understand the covid thing, but atleast let us have hearings over the phone in the conference room or a zoom meeting. I just want my penalty pay and my lost wages pay.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Our local is so backed up on hearings that we still have some grievances since July 2020 not yet heard. I have filed so many grievances since November and December 2020 that haven't been heard. I'll excuse the ones I filed in January and feb. But since July 2020?? Our BA has been avoiding our area when he does walk arounds. I understand the covid thing, but atleast let us have hearings over the phone in the conference room or a zoom meeting. I just want my penalty pay and my lost wages pay.

If you’re serious contact the NLRB if not keep whining on the internet

UnionGuy

If you’re serious contact the NLRB if not keep whining on the internet
We thought of doing that. At this point we want to give it one more month before we take action. We've already spoken to the BA in person and he just blames management.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
2 years ago I witnessed our BA handing a black suitcase to our center manager about 2 miles from our center...🧐

wonder what was in it?
🧔✊

542thruNthru

What exactly are the grievances?

Panels are once a month. The company can postpone once which can push it out another month.

Once it gets to panel it may not get heard because terminations and suspensions have priority also any grievance before the panel that has a grievant present also gets priority.

With covid Western panels are WAY behind and people that were terminated back in November are just now having their grievances heard.

My point is if it's just a mistake in wages and every week your penalty goes up the union sees it as not as important as someone not being paid at all.

Also just to put into perspective.. panels covers AZ UT CA NV NM and I'm sure I'm missing a couple states. So hopefully you can understand how they get backed up so easily when covid shut it down until they worked it out with the company to use Zoom and work the bugs out of that as well.

Say patient and take comfort in the fact that when you do get your money it will be 4 or 5 times what you were actually owed because of the compounding penalty pay.

tourists24

What exactly are the grievances?

Panels are once a month. The company can postpone once which can push it out another month.

Once it gets to panel it may not get heard because terminations and suspensions have priority also any grievance before the panel that has a grievant present also gets priority.

With covid Western panels are WAY behind and people that were terminated back in November are just now having their grievances heard.

My point is if it's just a mistake in wages and every week your penalty goes up the union sees it as not as important as someone not being paid at all.

Also just to put into perspective.. panels covers AZ UT CA NV NM and I'm sure I'm missing a couple states. So hopefully you can understand how they get backed up so easily when covid shut it down until they worked it out with the company to use Zoom and work the bugs out of that as well.

Say patient and take comfort in the fact that when you do get your money it will be 4 or 5 times what you were actually owed because of the compounding penalty pay.
If the situation is anything like our local, you have to send grievances to the panel after the local level hearing, yet none of the grievances are even being discussed at all (no local level). We had grievances take over a year last year just to even be discussed by BA and labor

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Last year our local stayed backed up all year long with grievances due to Management refusing to meet "Due to Covid" .If someone screwed up and got terminated they were SOL as panels were often delayed "Due to Covid" . In November and December grievances were finally heard and we all got some very nice end of year checks. I retired shortly after New Years and don;t know if they are caught up this year

Integrity

Binge Poster
In our Local it is fairly common for grievances to be backed up.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Hard to hold hearings during Covid 19 and then you add in December through first few weeks of January where it is near to impossible to get everyone in the same room because of the business equals longer grievances.

RoswellHub

We had this in our center, nearly 1000 backed up grievances. All 9.5 and 8 hour requests. Our BA eventually just Docketed about 200 grievances and the company folded a decided to settle them all. The NLRB is another solution as well.

djcodine

we currently have have outstanding grievances going back to christmas 2019 in our center atm. The ones over pvd drivers that started in 2019 are to be heard by an arbitrator in april, however there are hundreds of hours of supervisor working in our center dating back to 2019 havnt even been heard yet due to ups refusing all of last year to hold grievance pannels on anything due to covid. The only things that have been settled since covid hit are 9.5s and 8hr request violations and some of them can take up to 2 months. On top of that there hasnt been any cases heard at the 9.5 pannel either with tons of people in my center filing over 40 9.5s last year and every single week of this year to date. We are part of the western btw. As for the NLRB from my understanding they can only lay down a decision if something is right or wrong, they have absolutely no power to impose such decision or issue penalties its up to the courts to handle that after they issue decissions which can be appealed in a court of law.