Is it worth telling management about being overpaid?

UnionGuy

For helper pay I normally make $15.50/hr. This check shows I got paid $17.50/hr. Is it worth letting management know, or is it small enough that they won't notice?

Btw, they almost paid me right for my 78 hours they owed me. They paid me, but they still owe me 10.5 hours.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210114-183408_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210114-183408_Chrome.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_20210114-183442_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210114-183442_Chrome.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 121
For helper pay I normally make $15.50/hr. This check shows I got paid $17.50/hr. Is it worth letting management know, or is it small enough that they won't notice?

Btw, they almost paid me right for my 78 hours they owed me. They paid me, but they still owe me 10.5 hours.
If they ask I just tell them my wife takes care of the money and I never look at my check. I just assume it will be right.

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
My initial response to you is that it is a matter of integrity. You expect the company to pay you fairly and accurately for the work you do, it stands to reason then that you have an obligation to notify them when you are being paid incorrectly, whether it's in your favor or not. Bottom line is that it's dishonest and theft. Notify them in writing so you have a paper trail of it i the event they realize the error and your lack of reporting it and attempt discipline for dishonesty.

Mr. Marshall

I tend to find that my management team more or less ignores it when I tell them I was overpaid so I satisfy my conscience and get to keep the money. Two years in a row I was overpaid by more than $200 on a single check and informed management and was told that they probably knew what they were doing and just in case be prepared to have the money pulled in the future.

My initial response to you is that it is a matter of integrity. You expect the company to pay you fairly and accurately for the work you do, it stands to reason then that you have an obligation to notify them when you are being paid incorrectly, whether it's in your favor or not. Bottom line is that it's dishonest and theft. Notify them in writing so you have a paper trail of it i the event they realize the error and your lack of reporting it and attempt discipline for dishonesty.
Think. UPS has the information. Ups does not ask you what you think. Ups tells you and you do. Accept what is. You are not being dishonest. You think ups will want to hear what you have to say, and that is probably not a true statement.

I tend to find that my management team more or less ignores it when I tell them I was overpaid so I satisfy my conscience and get to keep the money. Two years in a row I was overpaid by more than $200 on a single check and informed management and was told that they probably knew what they were doing and just in case be prepared to have the money pulled in the future.
I agree. To try and talk with ups is likely to appear as arguing with them. It's a one way street with them and if they want to hear from you, they will call.

Nah

Seeing as they still owe you money, I would make a personal note of it and say nothing to them. At least not until you're made whole.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Think. UPS has the information. Ups does not ask you what you think. Ups tells you and you do. Accept what is. You are not being dishonest. You think ups will want to hear what you have to say, and that is probably not a true statement.
Ignore everything this guy just said. You keep trying to stick it to the man and eventually they are going to stick you back. Always cover your ass. Report the inaccuracy with your check, if they do nothing about it, that’s on them. Better than being fired for dishonesty.

oldngray

nowhere special
Ignore everything this guy just said. You keep trying to stick it to the man and eventually they are going to stick you back. Always cover your ass. Report the inaccuracy with your check, if they do nothing about it, that’s on them. Better than being fired for dishonesty.
Report it and the clock starts ticking. If they don't do anything in a timely matter that money is yours.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

You have a contractual obligation to notify the company.

"When an employee notifies the Employer in writing of any ongoing overpayment, the employee’s increasing liability will cease five (5) working days after the date of the written notification. The notification shall be provided to the employee’s immediate supervisor or manager."

ZeroHandicapper

Olympic Preload Gold Medalist

Let your supervisor know. Note the date that you informed them. Then it falls on them. At the end of the day it is stealing and being dishonest. Few months ago, they overpaid me by 40 hours and I asked them if I could just write a check, but they took it over 4 weeks out of my pay. Karma will come back to you.

Spanky250

There's very few things you can get fired for, but dishonesty is at the top of the list. Inform them in writing of the overpayment.

Over70irregs

I informed them about a Sat I did not work. They just said oh and went about their biz. I messaged in writing and talked to them in person.

AKCoverMan

Tell them. Do it in a text or email so you have a documented time stamp. They hate payroll stuff as our payroll department is horrible. If they don’t do anything quickly, contractually the money is yours. For small amounts they are probably going to ignore it.

But if you don’t report it they have unlimited time to come back and reclaim the money. They can try to get you on dishonesty although they have to prove you knew you were overpaid.

oldngray

nowhere special
Tell them. Do it in a text or email so you have a documented time stamp. They hate payroll stuff as our payroll department is horrible. If they don’t do anything quickly, contractually the money is yours. For small amounts they are probably going to ignore it.

But if you don’t report it they have unlimited time to come back and reclaim the money. They can try to get you on dishonesty although they have to prove you knew you were overpaid.
I never saw anyone fired for that. Really hard to prove intentional dishonesty when the mistake was by them. I did see them take the money back but yeah, not for small amounts.