Is normal OT awarded by seniority

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I got it four times.....but I get my OT in the AM. It different but definitely nice to have real dinner at the normal time. Only thought is when a real “peak” day hits we’re all gonna die out there cause none of us are conditioned for late nights anymore.
Worked 11 hours today at OT rate, some guys were still out there when I left. This check should put at my limit of 18.5k in my Roth401k this year.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
And some of us worked 60 hour weeks on purpose for years to get ourselves out of those situations where we “needed” the OT.
So why were your actions justified and guys now seem to be so misguided to you. Seems a bit self serving and righteous to me.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
So why were your actions justified and guys now seem to be so misguided to you. Seems a bit self serving and righteous to me.
No, it’s making hay while the sun shines. If I was in their shoes today, I’d do a side gig like Uber or something flexible. I worked two jobs when I found this place 20 years ago, I did what I had to do to make it happen, not wait around for something to happen to me.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Wow....that made me laugh.
I screwed up when I was younger, broke as :censored2:, living paycheck to paycheck. I was working on fixing that when I came here, and back then, 9.5 wasn’t a thing because dispatches were reasonable. I don’t remember anyone back then begging to be out till 8-9pm every night just to live.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
No, it’s making hay while the sun shines. If I was in their shoes today, I’d do a side gig like Uber or something flexible. I worked two jobs when I found this place 20 years ago, I did what I had to do to make it happen, not wait around for something to happen to me.
I agree with you, the question isn’t about doing what’s necessary it’s about guys getting OT and if it’s available how does seniority help.

Guys can’t ask this question without some attacking them with accusations of mismanagement of their finances or what ever else. Bottom line is none of us know why someone wants OT or needs OT.

Good buddy of mine paid for his pool by putting in a year of 60 hour weeks, so its not always about dire straights.

35years

Gravy route
If they offer early AM work to any driver it should be by seniority.

If Safety committee work extends the shift before or after, it should be offered by seniority.

If any drivers are working preload before regular start time it should be offered by seniority.

If low seniority T-S drivers pick up a 6th shift on Monday, should higher seniority M-friend drivers be offered a Sat. 6th shift?

If the less senior driver with the route next to me is dispatched with a 10 hour day every day and I get 8 hrs, should I be able to take stops from him or have my dispatch adjusted upwards?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.

If Safety committee work extends the shift before or after, it should be offered by seniority.

If any drivers are working preload before regular start time it should be offered by seniority.

If low seniority T-S drivers pick up a 6th shift on Monday, should higher seniority M-friend drivers be offered a Sat. 6th shift?

If the less senior driver with the route next to me is dispatched with a 10 hour day every day and I get 8 hrs, should I be able to take stops from him or have my dispatch adjusted upwards?
Absolutely

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I agree with you, the question isn’t about doing what’s necessary it’s about guys getting OT and if it’s available how does seniority help.

Guys can’t ask this question without some attacking them with accusations of mismanagement of their finances or what ever else. Bottom line is none of us know why someone wants OT or needs OT.

Good buddy of mine paid for his pool by putting in a year of 60 hour weeks, so its not always about dire straights.
I get where you are coming from, but there is nothing in the contract that says you’re entitled to more than 8 hours of work. I’d be very curious where your center is because at ours we have extra work lists posted. No one signs them yet guys complain sups are loading cars in the morning, running misloads, and tons of other bargining unit work. All these guys complain but do nothing to fix their problem like coming in on preload to bust sups, or file when management brings them misloads, or sign up to work Saturdays.

They just want extra hours forced on them when they need the money, and once they get their heads above water, they go back to treading and complain about being overworked.

35years

Gravy route
Any panel decisions to support a demand for OT by seniority?

We don't have extra work lists.

They are sending drivers to take stops off drivers who will be over 9.5 even if they are not on the 9.5 list and want the OT. Do they have the right to refuse the help by a lower seniority driver?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

Tues-Sat drivers still have seniority over Mon-Fri, even if they come in Mon. Saturday is their regularly scheduled work day, Monday was their “6th punch”

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!

EAM’s are offered by seniority.....one question not clearly answered is if it’s center seniority or building wide. My building has four centers and outside of major issue you do EAM’s for your center.

Safety committees are another issue that needs clarity. We also have SurePost runs to the different Post Offices that all leave at 7AM which is offered by seniority too.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
EAM’s are offered by seniority.....one question not clearly answered is if it’s center seniority or building wide. My building has four centers and outside of major issue you do EAM’s for your center.

Safety committees are another issue that needs clarity. We also have SurePost runs to the different Post Offices that all leave at 7AM which is offered by seniority too.
Here, EAM is attached to routes, they are bid as such, rebid every two years like every other route.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I get where you are coming from, but there is nothing in the contract that says you’re entitled to more than 8 hours of work. I’d be very curious where your center is because at ours we have extra work lists posted. No one signs them yet guys complain sups are loading cars in the morning, running misloads, and tons of other bargining unit work. All these guys complain but do nothing to fix their problem like coming in on preload to bust sups, or file when management brings them misloads, or sign up to work Saturdays.

They just want extra hours forced on them when they need the money, and once they get their heads above water, they go back to treading and complain about being overworked.
Out west in the Bay Area. We have no “sign up” sheets for extra work. Only thing we have is a “call list” for pre-load. Other than that you just go in and say if my seniority allows I’d like to do xy&z.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Here, EAM is attached to routes, they are bid as such, rebid every two years like every other route.
We have lifetime bids, curious if that’s why we don’t have bids like that. Just another example of how the same job for the same company can seem so damn different.