Is normal OT awarded by seniority

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
What is considered extra work by the panel decisions?
Southern Supplement
Article 46 section 3.b
(B) When additional employees are necessary to complete the Employer's operations on any shift or within any classification, the supervisor shall exhaust all established local practices to first use bargaining unit employees including where applicable, double shifting, early call-in, and overtime.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
So I would like someone who actually has some expertise or experience at panel, not just opinion...

If this no OT stuff keeps up through March people will start asserting their seniority to secure OT.
Any contract experts out there who can explain how it would work?

Say there are 4-5 guys in a loop. With ORION dispatch there are no distinct route boarders anymore.

If the top seniority guy in the loop opts out of 9.5 protection and wants OT, can he successfully file if another guy in the loop consistantly gets longer paid days?
Does he have the right to relieve (take stops off) the less senior employee? How about relieving guys outside the loop but who are on the way back to the bldg?

Could the more senior worker bump a member or co-chair off the safety committee for OT? Would it be the call of the BA or the Center Manager? Or if neither agree, would a grievance accomplish it?

Central Region language...

Section 16 -Extra Work
Seniority shall prevail for extra work and the work shall be assigned
by seniority, within the classification and work area, to those who
are qualified, present and available

In the Central Region, section 16-Extra Work has always been defined as

work that is "unplanned or unscheduled".... hence the term "extra"

The issue mainly comes up dealing with work inside the buildings.

I can't say I've every heard of it being grieved in pkg car, in your type of situation.

If they decided to put in "extra" runs on a Saturday, that would be applicable.

The best thing to do would be talk to management about it, and ask for the work.

You can always grieve it, at least to bring the issue to the table.

But, you can't exercise your seniority to "bump" someone out of their assigned work.

-Bug-

35years

Gravy route

So having a lower seniority driver (or in the future a 22.4) come take stops at the end of the day could be considered "unplanned" work since in the morning the plan was for it to be assigned to the original, senior driver.

But, you can't exercise your seniority to "bump" someone out of their assigned work.

My "assigned" work when I bid this route 15 years ago was twice the geographical area that it is now. ORION makes route boundaries fluid.

Has the definition of "assigned work" been interpreted as daily planned dispatch or long term assignment by geographical area? If the former, then management could assign me an area 20 miles from my bid area each day. So geographical area must be a criteria.

Add to that management dispatching that area of what used to be my route to a less senior driver the next route over. He puts in 1-2 hours more than me each day.

These issues are going to be coming up after peak. The BAs and stewards need to work out what our seniority means in these situations before 22.4 becomes a reality.

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

So having a lower seniority driver (or in the future a 22.4) come take stops at the end of the day could be considered "unplanned" work since in the morning the plan was for it to be assigned to the original, senior driver.

My "assigned" work when I bid this route 15 years ago was twice the geographical area that it is now. ORION makes route boundaries fluid.

Has the definition of "a signed work" been interpreted as daily planned dispatch or long term assignment by geographical area? If the former then management could assign me an area 20 miles from my bid area each day.

Add to that management dispatching that area of what used to be my route to a less senior driver the next route over. He puts in 1-2 hours more than me each day.

These issues are going to be coming up after peak. The BAs and stewards need to work out what our seniority means in these situations before 22.4 becomes a reality.

Changing font size.. or Color..

Does not enforce your point, Or change the language.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Before we judge how others overspend...

Some of us support 7 people with our Ups check.

Some of us have dependant children or parents who are disabled.

Some of us have not have had a vacation outside of tent camping for decades.

Some of us drive 20 year old vehicles.

So let's assume the OT is not for frivolous toys.

Does seniority mean anything when wanting OT or not?

BUG?
MUG?
Others who actually know?

Except for the disabled

The rest of them need to get jobs

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
If there is no OT what is the Union going to do?
Create it out of thin air?
The Union should educate the Membership on how to be Financially Responsible.
Perhaps but this thread is in regards to “extra work” and who’s entitled through seniority and if so how is it determined and enforced.

35years

Gravy route
Changing font size.. or Color..

Does not enforce your point, Or change the language.
Not my intention...
My comments are in color, yours are plain black.
I posted from my phone and didn't know how to multi-quote without collapsing the entire post.

I am looking for advice, not trying to make a point.

Mooseknuckle

Not the problem of the Union or UPS.
It is the enployees problem for being financially irresponsible
We don't all live in Kansas. Due to things well beyond our control the cost of living has skyrocketed in many parts of the world. Not everyone needing more OT is that way because of their spending. If I remember correctly Brown287 lives in San Francisco, One of the most expensive places on earth.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
We don't all live in Kansas. Due to things well beyond our control the cost of living has skyrocketed in many parts of the world. Not everyone needing more OT is that way because of their spending. If I remember correctly Brown287 lives in San Francisco, One of the most expensive places on earth.
Explain how UPS should care?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I am looking for advice, not trying to make a point.

I told you what the answer is.

Don't expect the BA's and Stewards, to go into some sort negotiation with the

company to clarify things for a handful of people.

If you feel your seniority is being violated.... file a grievance.