Is TDU behind them?

You know me...
Reminds me of the guy trying to convince me he was qualified to run the local because he had a degree (in theology). He went on to say he deserved the job because he spent so much time in school.
I voted for the guy that spent his time defending and representing, and learned unionism at meetings and on the floor. He won, and the local is doing just fine.

Annnd Which local are you referring to? (PLEASE glance over the LM2's of the local you are about to mention before you say it....because I am going to after you say it.) If you are referring to the very broke, very divided, very PO'd membership of local 251, please don't even respond, I have a nasty cold and laughing that hard could make me cough to the point where I'd pass out.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
And why do you think it is that Local 251 is totally broke? Because of.....wait for it....CRAPPY LEADERSHIP. So your logic is, lets keep the guys that have failed the membership and bankrupted the local because the other guys have great Ideas but no experience. The ST that bankrupted the union has TONS of experience and ZERO education. Think that has something to do with it? Politics aside, would you rather have a guy with a business management degree or a high school dropout running your local. I refer you to my signature.
OMG. Someone who actually thinks about the issues before he responds. Something that is becoming very rare on BC lately.
I am more used to the mind-numbed robot OG cheerleading squad that worships at the feet of the OG, and tries to shout down any opposition.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
And why do you think it is that Local 251 is totally broke? Because of.....wait for it....CRAPPY LEADERSHIP. So your logic is, lets keep the guys that have failed the membership and bankrupted the local because the other guys have great Ideas but no experience. The ST that bankrupted the union has TONS of experience and ZERO education. Think that has something to do with it? Politics aside, would you rather have a guy with a business management degree or a high school dropout running your local. I refer you to my signature.

Honestly, I don't know because I don't fall under Local 251's jurisdiction and I'm not familiar with that local's bylaws. Numerous legitimate reasons can exist for a local's finances being in trouble, not solely corruption or incompetence. However, it's a fair statement to say that the salaries for Local 251 officials are definitely top-heavy (at least compared to the e-board at my local) even coupled with cost of living in the north-east US. In my local, all raises for the e-board/business agents must be advertised in advance via the newsletter and then ratified by the membership.

That still doesn't excuse the almost-complete lack of experience being touted by that slate. A college degree doesn't mean much when it comes to representing someone -- and that's coming from a guy with a friggin' Bachelor's. James R. Hoffa dropped out of school in the sixth grade; formal education is a great thing, but nothing (and I mean nothing) can replicate the experience gleaned by organizing and representing the rank-and-file in a union.

Additionally, I'd be interested to know why the UA slate's candidate for ST went to school for a degree in Business Management in the first place. That's typically a degree path taken by someone considering going into upper management at UPS; don't get me wrong, I'm not dumping on the guy for going to college by any means but it's a question worth asking.

stink219

OMG. Someone who actually thinks about the issues before he responds. Something that is becoming very rare on BC lately. I am more used to the mind-numbed robot OG cheerleading squad that worships at the feet of the OG, and tries to shout down any opposition.
Relax Realbrown. 251 isn't single. I seriously doubt he is interested.

You know me...
^ Nothing to say to that? Still think your boys are the right fit for the job? Let me ask you this. If YOU were the guy making that call, and that was the answer you got...would you still support these thugs?

By the way I figured out the backstory to this video. Apparently BR likes to talk...A LOT. She ran her mouth to the guy that had this audio and he turned it over to the UA slate. He told them that he wasn't going to release it, and "If she had just shut her mouth, it would have never seen the light of day".

​I wonder how many more audio clips like this are out there...

Inthegame

​No comment on this? I hope, at least, our reasons for running have become clear to you guys. This type of corruption HAS to end.
The audio doesn't start until 50 seconds in. You had me checking my speakers.
Is this a conversation between a member and a steward? Sounds like the steward is "supposing" someone got in improperly. If so, stewards occasionally speak without complete knowledge of process and her supposition of this occurance sheds little light on reality. How did her conversation with HR go. Remember the union doesn't hire anyone so maybe the issue is with the Hospital violating the agreement, not the local. We need the rest of the story.

You know me...
The audio doesn't start until 50 seconds in. You had me checking my speakers.
Is this a conversation between a member and a steward? Sounds like the steward is "supposing" someone got in improperly. If so, stewards occasionally speak without complete knowledge of process and her supposition of this occurance sheds little light on reality. How did her conversation with HR go. Remember the union doesn't hire anyone so maybe the issue is with the Hospital violating the agreement, not the local. We need the rest of the story.

All I know is what is on that tape. "Not everyone gets a fair chance" is pretty self explanatory. And this wasn't a run of the mill Steward, this was a "Liaison" which is a cushy little position created by KR that allows a lackey paid time to sit in the cafeteria and handle union issues (Or hide behind a newspaper all day and pray no one sees you) Why would someone so in touch with the daily dealings of the local even suggest such a thing unless it was a common occurrence?

When I was there a few weeks ago, one of the housekeepers told me that he owns his own landscaping company, and has owned it for over 10 years. He got a job at the hospital for the benefits, then he found out how much the grounds laborers get paid, and decided that when a grounds job opened up, he'd jump on it, sell the company and work at the hospital full time. He has 15 years seniority at the hospital. Well, the day came when a Grounds job popped up, he applied, was told by HR that "He was not experienced enough" (Along with about 50 other guys on the seniority list that applied) And the job went to....guess who? One of Kevins friends. Think I'm BSing? Ask your friend Kevin for a list of hire dates from the grounds crew, and then I'll introduce you to the housekeeper that owns his own landscaping company and is not experienced enough to throw mulch down around the RIH bushes...

The audio in that call represents an epidemic at RIH.

You know me...
Should I vote for a guy who secretly records his phone calls with other members?
Too scary for me.

1. The guy that recorded the call is not on the slate.
2. If you work at RIH and you do NOT record every call to HR or the Union, you are doing it wrong.

Inthegame

All I know is what is on that tape. "Not everyone gets a fair chance" is pretty self explanatory. And this wasn't a run of the mill Steward, this was a "Liaison" which is a cushy little position created by KR that allows a lackey paid time to sit in the cafeteria and handle union issues (Or hide behind a newspaper all day and pray no one sees you) Why would someone so in touch with the daily dealings of the local even suggest such a thing unless it was a common occurrence?

When I was there a few weeks ago, one of the housekeepers told me that he owns his own landscaping company, and has owned it for over 10 years. He got a job at the hospital for the benefits, then he found out how much the grounds laborers get paid, and decided that when a grounds job opened up, he'd jump on it, sell the company and work at the hospital full time. He has 15 years seniority at the hospital. Well, the day came when a Grounds job popped up, he applied, was told by HR that "He was not experienced enough" (Along with about 50 other guys on the seniority list that applied) And the job went to....guess who? One of Kevins friends. Think I'm BSing? Ask your friend Kevin for a list of hire dates from the grounds crew, and then I'll introduce you to the housekeeper that owns his own landscaping company and is not experienced enough to throw mulch down around the RIH bushes...

The audio in that call represents an epidemic at RIH.
The "liasion" position as you described is in the TDU playbook as an "on the job" assistant BA. In large facilities it's effective and a model to lower costs to the union by having benny's paid by the employer. Actually it's a decent deal if the locals can negotiate it into contracts. You might want to rethink your derisive opposition to it. Of course if your group wins they'll have much better ideas and personnel to "read the papers all day".

"When you were there a few weeks ago"? Does this mean you don't work at RIH? Your posts indicate intimate knowledge of policies and procedures one would expect from an employee, not someone who visits occasionally. Regardless of that, if indeed these improper hirings occured, were they grieved and what was the response/outcome?
I can't ask "my friend Kevin" as I've never met him or anyone else from L251, but I do know there's always more sides to a story than first presented by anyone, union or management.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The "liasion" position as you described is in the TDU playbook as an "on the job" assistant BA. In large facilities it's effective and a model to lower costs to the union by having benny's paid by the employer. Actually it's a decent deal if the locals can negotiate it into contracts. You might want to rethink your derisive opposition to it. Of course if your group wins they'll have much better ideas and personnel to "read the papers all day".

"When you were there a few weeks ago"? Does this mean you don't work at RIH? Your posts indicate intimate knowledge of policies and procedures one would expect from an employee, not someone who visits occasionally. Regardless of that, if indeed these improper hirings occured, were they grieved and what was the response/outcome?
I can't ask "my friend Kevin" as I've never met him or anyone else from L251, but I do know there's always more sides to a story than first presented by anyone, union or management.

I am curious as to why you seem to have such a vested interest in all threads involving local elections?
You seem to leave no stone unturned on this forum, engaging posters on this Local 251 thread, the Local 177 and the 804 thread to name a few.
Also there seems to be a reoccurring theme of asking for proof of allegations.
How would anybody ever satisfy such a request on an anonymous internet forum?
If they managed to provide some proof, how could you ever validate it as fact?
Care to share your agenda?

Inthegame

I am curious as to why you seem to have such a vested interest in all threads involving local elections?
You seem to leave no stone unturned on this forum, engaging posters on this Local 251 thread, the Local 177 and the 804 thread to name a few.
Also there seems to be a reoccurring theme of asking for proof of allegations.
How would anybody ever satisfy such a request on an anonymous internet forum?
If they managed to provide some proof, how could you ever validate it as fact?
Care to share your agenda?
I missed the rules limiting postings in similar thread topics. Could you kindly point those out for me.
The answer to this mindbending puzzle is pretty simple, Union issues and elections interest me. I stick to posts (mostly) on the Union Issue page, because I'm interested in our Union. That's it. I've been closely involved in numerous Local Union and civil elections. I enjoy the electoral process, especially when the good guys win.
I try to correct inaccuracies, answer questions, and use knowledge gained from many years as an elected steward to help members and I'd like all leaders from the GP and Local PO's to the alternate stewards to do the same. (What a heretical concept)
For those that enjoy unsubstatiated allegations, good for them, conspiracy theories are interesting and entertaining even if they're seldom accurate. I don't enjoy speculative statements and I know you don't either. You often question posts for better info. (You're questioning my motives in this post) How do you determine what or who to believe? I suspect you do exactly as I do. Read posts, read responses, and gradually trust those that give good answers.
To specifically address the Locals you've mentioned, L251 is Stink's local. I agree with Stink's posts for the most part so tend to agree with his position on the incumbent leadership. I've posted little in the L177 thread as I know no one in L177 but the challengers appear very unprepared. Members get harmed by unprepared leaders. I do know some of the L804 leadership and believe they're on the right track, and would do even better by losing the TDU link.
Again all union issues interest me. No agenda other than that.
One question though Bubble, when did I pee in your cornflakes?

RIH251

1. The guy that recorded the call is not on the slate.
2. If you work at RIH and you do NOT record every call to HR or the Union, you are doing it wrong.
He's not on the slate? im sorry that sounded a lot like our old pal Nick W. was it not? All but two on that slate are from the hospital. Are you saying they all record their phone calls as a matter of routine? Dear lord that's creepy.

Last edited:

stink219

He's not on the slate? im sorry that sounded a lot like our old pal Nick W. was it not? All but two on that slate are from the hospital. Are you saying they all record their phone calls as a matter of routine? Dear lord that's creepy.
Isn't NW the campaign manager for UA251? Isn't he on the TDU steering committee too?