Is there any happiness with a job at UPS?

The number of bitter old men here should answer the happiness question. UPS employees are definitely sheeple and if one has toxic views, the rest will follow suit. They are so unhappy, they have no friends or family to have positive relationships with, but gather here, even after retiring, to wallow in that bitterness. Very sad.
I feel like you should have your chromosomes counted.

Staydryitsraining

The number of bitter old men here should answer the happiness question. UPS employees are definitely sheeple and if one has toxic views, the rest will follow suit. They are so unhappy, they have no friends or family to have positive relationships with, but gather here, even after retiring, to wallow in that bitterness. Very sad.
The no friends or family part with this job is something you have to work hard at because of the nature of never knowing when your getting off and subsequently not really ever able to make plans with people.

pkgdriver

Don't get rid of the disco lights
287B862B-9E34-4447-9972-A741DDF00F9B.gif

RangerMan06

The no friends or family part with this job is something you have to work hard at because of the nature of never knowing when your getting off and subsequently not really ever able to make plans with people.
Well that's what is wrong with this company in a nutshell. UPS makes enough money that there is zero reason we shouldn't be able to expect to be off the clock in 8 hours. UPS can hire more drivers and run more routes

Thebrownblob

The no friends or family part with this job is something you have to work hard at because of the nature of never knowing when you’re getting off and subsequently not really ever able to make plans with people.
Generally, that does get better as your seniority goes up. Outside of peak I’m generally off at the same time every day, give or take 15 minutes for something crazy happening like traffic.

Thebrownblob

Not here it's not. You never know if you'll be out til 7 or 10:30. Only thing you can guarantee is you will be over 9.5
A few years ago we had quite a 95 issue over $300k worth of grievances pretty much solved the problem. We only paid out 6 9.5 grievances for the period ending June 15.
I expect the new 9.5. Period to be a little more active. Of course, that depends on contract talks.

UPSER1987

Well that's what is wrong with this company in a nutshell. UPS makes enough money that there is zero reason we shouldn't be able to expect to be off the clock in 8 hours. UPS can hire more drivers and run more routes
But what is ironic, you’ll see drivers with a shot of getting off early and going home, but they rather give a play by play of the day to the girls in the office. Same guys that file 9.5 grievances. Very weird.

RangerMan06

But what is ironic, you’ll see drivers with a shot of getting off early and going home, but they rather give a play by play of the day to the girls in the office. Same guys that file 9.5 grievances. Very weird.
We have a few runners that will skip lunch, and get called in on for driving 60mph down dirt roads, but the majority of us 9.5 nearly everyday. Almost guaranteed Friday will be a 12 plus.

That will never happen it would cost too much money.
On the other hand people can't work 10 to 12 hours a day doing a very physical job like we do.

Staydryitsraining

Those guys are :censored2:ing losers. Or the guys who bust ass to get off just to go sit in the managers office and chit chat for 30 minutes.

RangerMan06

That will never happen it would cost too much money.
On the other hand people can't work 10 to 12 hours a day doing a very physical job like we do.
That's the argument UPS likes to use and it is BS and untrue. I would love to see an independent auditor come in and look at things. I believe it would save money. At my center we have enough drivers so they wouldn't have to hire more. They cut routes to hit SPC. They pay enough in overtime daily to fund 2 more routes for the week, not even factoring in the absurd amount of penalty pay and work comp.

UPSER1987

That's the argument UPS likes to use and it is BS and untrue. I would love to see an independent auditor come in and look at things. I believe it would save money. At my center we have enough drivers so they wouldn't have to hire more. They cut routes to hit SPC. They pay enough in overtime daily to fund 2 more routes for the week, not even factoring in the absurd amount of penalty pay and work comp.
You could put every driver assigned to the center on the road including a couple “help” drivers to get everyone in early. It’s been tried before. Drivers come in at the same time, that’s why the center has to hit SPC. None of this is new…been tried in different forms and names. If it was advantageous to put more drivers on the road, the company would do it - but people fall into old habits, need more money than 8 hours provide. That’s why there is 9.5 language, which is still cheaper than putting drivers on the road.Thats why management doesn’t care about 9.5.