Is there any policy (HR) on how late they can keep us out making deliveries?

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
I was working in the dark for Fedex probably before you were born. Call the police, I would be gone in less than a minute after I delivered or picked up your package.
Oohh the cops know your paths. They aren't that dumb. Some cities are actually creating laws against deliveries after 9..

FedexCares

Fortunately by the time peak rolled around I knew where many of the customers lived. Productivity definitely goes down though. But I had been rehired there and was at starting pay so as long as they were going to let me get OT I was going to take it. I did worry that someone might take a shot at me late at night.
I knew where my customers lived too but I often had to go down old logging roads to get to some people and they just weren’t safe after dark. It’s one of those things you try to get done before dark but I often drove 300ish miles in any given day and I could only go out of my way so much if I wanted to avoid a ton of rolled freight. I still loved my route though, really miss it some days when I’m stuck behind computer for 10 hours.

vantexan

So other than possibly having your head blown off.. really no issues
All very small towns and rural. Not that many people and most were pretty easy going. Not the same as working a much more populated area. Heck one night on a rural ranch got stuck for three hours waiting for a flash flood to subside in a usually dry wash. And I've worked downtown Seattle and everything in between.

vantexan

I knew where my customers lived too but I often had to go down old logging roads to get to some people and they just weren’t safe after dark. It’s one of those things you try to get done before dark but I often drove 300ish miles in any given day and I could only go out of my way so much if I wanted to avoid a ton of rolled freight. I still loved my route though, really miss it some days when I’m stuck behind computer for 10 hours.
I worked an extended rt in southern Mississippi in the world's largest white pine forest. Often it was like driving through tunnels of trees. Prefer the desert.

Guitarman01

I believe a customer would rather get a del. at 830 pm than the next day.
830 makes sense, thats your running a little late on your commit time.
930 not as much. At that point your talking about pkgs prob sitting outside over night just to get swiped.
Thats not good service.
I asked my then manager how late we should be out delivering and he said 830.
I have another manager now that seems most concerned about her numbers and she has no problem keeping us out all hours of the night.
Thats not service, thats stupid.
That could be their new slogan for midday.
Our entire shift wants off midday.
Delivery jobs like this werent made to start at 2 in the afternoon, which is how late we get out of the building some days, and then try to cover multiple routes and business commit times of 430.
its a joke.

Karma...

in the old days I was out during peak to midnight but the airs had to be dropped off at meet points by 8pm........it was also common to deliver parcels to where the people worked as area/local knowledge was helpful........also since many people would go to the local post office I would deliver parcels to the post office ...and yes the post office people would sign for them.........times and company were very much different.....ups was called united parcel service back then and actually had a symbol that made sense......I have seen things you people would not believe.....we were decentralized then...now its a stew......going public destroyed the old company.

Working4the1%

930 not as much. At that point your talking about pkgs prob sitting outside over night just to get swiped.
Thats not good service.
I have another manager now that seems most concerned about her numbers and she has no problem keeping us out all hours of the night.
Delivery jobs like this werent made to start at 2 in the afternoon, which is how late we get out of the building some days, and then try to cover multiple routes and business commit times of 430.
its a joke.
I just love when they say. “ Your not the pizza guy ??”

Godzilla55

Thats not good service.
its a joke.
Wait until daylight savings hits, be dark just after 5pm, good luck midday folks 😬

falcon back

Is there a set cut-off time where it is deemed unsafe to still be making deliveries, especially in rural and not so nice sides of town?
I ask this because as a midday we are constantly getting late freight and call-ins and the solution seems to be to just stay out all hours of the night until the deliveries are done.
I was actually thinking about calling hr about this.
It seems different managers and stations might have different philosophies on this.
I just heard about one station today, they quit delivering past 8pm.
I was alittle standoffish with my manager today because I declined to help one of my fellow drivers make deliveries past 9pm.
Nothing against wanting to help out my fellow driver at all, but I dont think they should be forced to stay out all hours of the night either.
Thoughts on this?
Are you afraid to deliver in the rain as well?

Maui

There is no official policy for this . Technically it’s 2359 after that it’s a WDL either way. FedEx commit is 2000, UPS has 2100, and 2200 for Amazon.
The time really just depends on the area. Some aren’t great ever and we cutoff all service at 1500 or 1600. Others we are in until 2300 getting pups.
As a general rule I think 2100 is a reasonable cutoff, but i wouldn’t make a hard across the board cutoff. Freight was 3 hours late and 30 more minutes gets everything delivered in a well lit suburb? Probably get those done. If it’s Gary, IN or East St Louis I want you out by 1700.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
There is no official policy for this . Technically it’s 2359 after that it’s a WDL either way. FedEx commit is 2000, UPS has 2100, and 2200 for Amazon.
The time really just depends on the area. Some aren’t great ever and we cutoff all service at 1500 or 1600. Others we are in until 2300 getting pups.
As a general rule I think 2100 is a reasonable cutoff, but i wouldn’t make a hard across the board cutoff. Freight was 3 hours late and 30 more minutes gets everything delivered in a well lit suburb? Probably get those done. If it’s Gary, IN or East St Louis I want you out by 1700.
Having a gun pointed at you when you’re delivering from a rental van will quickly change your priorities on delivering after dark.

If Fedex can’t get the freight on-road in a timely fashion, that’s not my problem.

falcon back

Having a gun pointed at you when you’re delivering from a rental van will quickly change your priorities on delivering after dark.

If Fedex can’t get the freight on-road in a timely fashion, that’s not my problem.
Becoming unemployed because you don't want to do your job isn't the company's problem.

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
in the old days I was out during peak to midnight but the airs had to be dropped off at meet points by 8pm........it was also common to deliver parcels to where the people worked as area/local knowledge was helpful........also since many people would go to the local post office I would deliver parcels to the post office ...and yes the post office people would sign for them.........times and company were very much different.....ups was called united parcel service back then and actually had a symbol that made sense......I have seen things you people would not believe.....we were decentralized then...now its a stew......going public destroyed the old company.
Carol you are destroying it...

I heard you did this same thing at home depot...

Guitarman01

This actually happened recently, our manager told us about it.
It wasnt our station but it must have been pretty local because our manager talked to the guy.
He was pretty shook up about it.
The driver actually fought back and got pistol whipped and they stole his van.
Hes lucky it wasnt worse.

Guitarman01

Thanks.
You know ive seen UPS post commit times of both 7pm and 9pm so im not sure if that maybe varies by area?
Also where did you get that amazon info from?
10pm seems pretty late and they are all contracted out right?
I want to say usps is very early with delivery times as late as 5pm.
Do you think I would be in danger of being written up or reprimanded if I defied delivering past 9pm in some areas?
Ive already been to alot of houses out in the sticks that I wouldnt want to go to after dark, let alone after 9.
its not about being scared, but I see the risk involved for both me and the customer, and again it doesnt seem like service at that point, but just me unloading the pkg so we dont have to deal with it the next day.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
This actually happened recently, our manager told us about it.
It wasnt our station but it must have been pretty local because our manager talked to the guy.
He was pretty shook up about it.
The driver actually fought back and got pistol whipped and they stole his van.
Hes lucky it wasnt worse.
Chicago or in the burbs?