Is there still a need for the union?

ManInBrown

The unions also help the non union companies.

The non union companies pay their drivers more than they want to, but just enough to keep them somewhat happy so as not to unionize.
I really worry about the younger generation of upsers not understanding the importance. I see it when I go back to my old building I did package when I’m pulling a load, or bringing one in. They’re incapable of seeing the big picture. “PVD’s I love ‘em. Why wouldn’t I love them” you can just read their mind and know what they anre thinking. All they care about is will my day be made easier. PVD’s,22.4s taking a chunk of their day off them.

I always said if I was still in package I would be livid if I had to give work to a PVD. I’d rather work 14 every day at peak then give a PVD one stop. I guarantee you the company loves the younger generation of UPSers. It’s sad that it will never be the same again. The old timers and drivers like myself held the companies feet to the fire and knew what was important.

I know it’s tough finding people to work in todays environment. UPS has definitely lowered their standards across the board. Not talking about PTers. Package and feeders the standards have been lowered. I see it, and it’s not a good thing. I’m very interested to see if we do strike, how many will cross the line. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. People are gonna get their tires slashed and their heads split open. It worries me. We are only strong if we all stand together.

Last edited:

Johney

Do people not realize That if we weren’t unionized we’d all be making $20 an hour and have horrible working conditions? If you can’t see that you’re clueless. The upside that comes with being unionized is priceless. They can’t be measured. Even if the teamsters are a shell of what they once were which many think, the benefits far outweigh any downside some might see.
And if they were making $20 an hour they'd be stealing more than they deliver. There always is someone even making $40 an hour who will steal I get that, but can you imagine the theft in this place at $20 an hour?

Shorts365

Well, I'm sure most of us dreamed of having a job to support a family and live comfortably.

You can make $40K pouring coffee all day.

You can make $100K pushing cardboard all day.

I'm sure a garbage man (sanitation engineer) didn't dream of dumping trash all
I think you guys misunderstand me. I’m definitely proud of what I do and thankful for the mostly fair compensation. I just think it’s BS to dunk on baristas who also want fair compensation because we don’t respect their career choice. Do I think they work as hard as or deserve as much as us? Probably not. But I could say that about any white collar job out there. I do think they deserve a living wage though.

Also, no one pours coffee all day. Half day, max. 😎

Over70irregs

A job at UPS used to be a premier job. Now.... only in terms of benefits and pay.
Those benefits and pay combo definitely is an outlier. People cannot even spell the word PENSION.
I think you guys misunderstand me. I’m definitely proud of what I do and thankful for the mostly fair compensation. I just think it’s BS to dunk on baristas who also want fair compensation because we don’t respect their career choice. Do I think they work as hard as or deserve as much as us? Probably not. But I could say that about any white collar job out there. I do think they deserve a living wage though.

Also, no one pours coffee all day. Half day, max. 😎
I know someone who worked for them back in the day in the warehouses. They have always been anti-union.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
And if they were making $20 an hour they'd be stealing more than they deliver. There always is someone even making $40 an hour who will steal I get that, but can you imagine the theft in this place at $20 an hour?
Ups just looks at today. They dream about paying us less, but are too ignorant to see that it would make us look worse than Amazon or FedEx. Ups needs to get their stock price for the moment out of their ignorant brains if they have one. Not accusing them of having one.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
I really worry about the younger generation of upsers not understanding the importance. I see it when I go back to my old building I did package when I’m pulling a load, or bringing one in. They’re incapable of seeing the big picture. “PVD’s I love ‘em. Why wouldn’t I love them” you can just read their mind and know what they anre thinking. All they care about is will my day be made easier. PVD’s,22.4s taking a chunk of their day off them.

I always said if I was still in package I would be livid if I had to give work to a PVD. I’d rather work 14 every day at peak then give a PVD one stop. I guarantee you the company loves the younger generation of UPSers. It’s sad that it will never be the same again. The old timers and drivers like myself held the companies feet to the fire and knew what was important.

I know it’s tough finding people to work in todays environment. UPS has definitely lowered their standards across the board. Not talking about PTers. Package and feeders the standards have been lowered. I see it, and it’s not a good thing. I’m very interested to see if we do strike, how many will cross the line. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. People are gonna get their tires slashed and their heads split open. It worries me. We are only strong if we all stand together.

Part of the problem is that the union doesn’t make its presence known. You have to seek them out. I can’t speak for every hub but it’s like that here. I do agree though standards have been lowered on both sides-union/management

542thruNthru

Part of the problem is that the union doesn’t make its presence known. You have to seek them out. I can’t speak for every hub but it’s like that here. I do agree though standards have been lowered on both sides-union/management
Questions for you.
How often do you think your BA should be in your building /shift?

How many UPS BAs do you have?

How many UPS members do you have?

How much area does your local cover?

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
Questions for you.
How often do you think your BA should be in your building /shift?

How many UPS BAs do you have?

How many UPS members do you have?

How much area does your local cover?

1. As much as possible.

2. I know of only one. I’ve spoken to him twice..probably seen him three four times and that is recently because of everything going on .

The other two questions I don’t know…again this proves my point. I didn’t have anyone to help me with this. Im learning as I go.

The reason I made that comment because I’ll meet new hires some who already been here a year completely oblivious to what the union is. Pretty much what management wants.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
Not that I’m expecting someone to hold my hand but as an organization, I do think the union needs to be active as possible with new members. That’s it.

542thruNthru

1. As much as possible.

2. I know of only one. I’ve spoken to him twice..probably seen him three four times and that is recently because of everything going on .

The other two questions I don’t know…again this proves my point. I didn’t have anyone to help me with this. Im learning as I go.

The reason I made that comment because I’ll meet new hires some who already been here a year completely oblivious to what the union is. Pretty much what management wants.
I wasn't trying to defend your BA. More just pointing out how stretch thin a BA can be especially in a small RTW local or a local like 104 in AZ that is RTW and they cover the whole state.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
I wasn't trying to defend your BA. More just pointing out how stretch thin a BA can be especially in a small RTW local or a local like 104 in AZ that is RTW and they cover the whole state.

Don’t get me wrong I like my BA. It just wasn’t easy trying to contact him. Also, yes I could imagine dealing with something like that. RTW is silly anyways. Either you join or don’t.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Btw here and everyone still in the union in our building that I'm aware of.
I live in a RTW state. I can’t speak for the part timers but we have almost 100% membership in a 620 driver feeder department. I would assume it’s the same in package. No one likes a scab, and all full timers know it.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Regardless of union or not, everyone should know when they should defend themselves. Union negotiates rightful pay and working conditions and so on for the better of the workforce. Obviously no big corporate white collar will approve of a union. Union means increased price and less demand on their company. Do you realize how much money would go into big browns pockets if we weren’t unionized? The union negotiates for us for what we deserve for busting our ass.

Yolo

As someone who moves boxes for a living i will always look down on someone that makes coffee for a living. My job is super important and their job is very stupid people.

34yearpackagehumper

Do people not realize That if we weren’t unionized we’d all be making $20 an hour and have horrible working conditions? If you can’t see that you’re clueless. The upside that comes with being unionized is priceless. They can’t be measured. Even if the teamsters are a shell of what they once were which many think, the benefits far outweigh any downside some might see.
Being in the union is kind of like having a lawyer on retainer ! I would rather have it and not need it and to need it and not have it. The working conditions at UPS are certainly not that great . I can only imagine how they would be without it . As for that 20 per hour in some southern states it would probably be less than that .