Is ups freight union ?

cook32nd

I have been keeping tabs on whether ups freight is union or not, but it is rather hard to actually decipher? If not, do they plan on becoming union? I work for UPS (package handler) now and am quitting to get my Class A CDL and hopefully in due time, land back at UPS on my feet some how driving a tractor. Any kind thoughts as far as making this work?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I have been keeping tabs on whether ups freight is union or not, but it is rather hard to actually decipher? If not, do they plan on becoming union? I work for UPS (package handler) now and am quitting to get my Class A CDL and hopefully in due time, land back at UPS on my feet some how driving a tractor. Any kind thoughts as far as making this work?

No, UPS Freight is not union, at least not nationwide. According to this board, a UPSF/OVNT terminal in Indianapolis is the first to go through a union election. I haven't heard anything on here, much more anywhere else about this actually happening. Anyone?

And as to getting your Class A CDL...I'd suggest you look around, bud, before deciding to return to Father Brown. Class A CDL's are in very high demand nationwide. Do some research. You might be very pleasantly surprised at what you can find. The job security and stability of UPS is second to none but I'd still suggest looking around. When I was in my teens, I told my Dad I wasn't going to college (half-jokingly) and he flipped. He howled, "You are not going to tie yourself to one company for the rest of your life, are you??" It made me think twice. A year later, I jumped ship. At the time, I was working for a now-shuttered grocery chain in the Chicago-area. Makes ya think twice. -Rocky

raceanoncr

Why are you quitting UPS to get your CDL? Can't you do both? Not prying. You may have other personal issues but if not, you don't have to quit to get a CDL.

You may or may not know, sometimes it can be very difficult to get BACK ON at UPS after quitting. It looks as if Rocky has done it so I know it CAN be done but here, anyway, it's frowned on.

UPSF, as reported , is mostly non-union. There are some areas of the country that were union for yrs but not all and it's true, Indy is the big push since becoming Uncle Buster.

Even if they stay non-union, they ain't too far off our $ pace to look at seriously.

What REALLY strikes me is that they get a 401 match from Co.! How come they do and we don't?

One Company, One Brand, One Vision, right?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
You may or may not know, sometimes it can be very difficult to get BACK ON at UPS after quitting. It looks as if Rocky has done it so I know it CAN be done but here, anyway, it's frowned on.

I've heard that before, Race. I think that policy applies to management, not hourlies, particularly pt'ers. When I left the first time, there was a form the Retention supervisor had to fill out, sign and asked me to sign. Included on that form was a section titled "Re-Hire Status." Most pt'ers are college students, too. School transfers take students away from home, they graduate, come home looking for a job and see UPS is hiring. Bammm...back into the ranks they come. In my orientation class, there was a guy that moved from the East Coast and was re-hired. My sup quit and came back. He's on track to go full-time. He's making noises about it happening by this Peak. Let's just say he'll fit riiiiight in! -Rocky

705red

Browncafe Steward
If we become Union, it will more than likely disappear.
Not if you voice your approval for that 401k, you will have ups freight workers on your commitee.

What REALLY strikes me is that they get a 401 match from Co.! How come they do and we don't?

Race remember ups bought overnite who already had the 401k in place, ups would be stupid during negoiations to attempt to remove that, that would send all the freighters into a frenzy benefiting the unionizing of the teamsters. It would be nice to get a match, but we get free medical, over $200 a week into a pension, upto 7 weeks of vacations, overtime after 8, double time after 9.5, and we are just cause employees, ask yourself would you trade all of this away for a 401k match?

LVBrown1

Feeder driver are non union, however if you plan to drive for UPS DO NOT QUIT! You must have 5 years of package driver to move to feeders. If you move to feeder drivers, they train you and ge you a CDL I would not pay for it.
Quiting and being re-hired you will lose all seniority.

Just so you know

Pollocknbrown

Lvbrown, is needing 5 years of package driving to become a feeder required at all hubs or just yours? and how do they get u a CDL, they loan you a truck to take your test in?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Lvbrown, is needing 5 years of package driving to become a feeder required at all hubs or just yours? and how do they get u a CDL, they loan you a truck to take your test in?

It depends on the building how long you have to be a package car driver, I think. It depends on how many package car drivers want to drive feeders. In answer the CDL question, its possible UPS loans you a truck for the test but I doubt it. I don't know how it works exactly but somehow UPS is involved in getting your Class A CDL. It might be UPS pays for your training course, etc. However, I'm waaaaaaaay out of my depth here. Tie? CACHSUX? Any other feeder drivers/management? -Rocky

Pollocknbrown

that would be nice either way if they assisted with getting CDL A license, up here in buffalo, i see the courses running round 2500 min, too bad this aint the days when my dad's only cost 1K in the 70s

705red

Browncafe Steward
When you attain enough seniority ups will ask you if your interested, if you are you need to obtain you cdl A permit with air brakes, doubles & triples, and combination endorsements. Once you get that ups will train you (without paying you) for 1 week, if you pass the ups training you will be certified by ups. The department of motor vehicles recognize ups as a certified trainer. you will not have to take a road test at the dmv. Ups will give you the forms stating that you have passed the cdl road tests and pre trips and you will receive your cdl. So it costs you 1 week of your time9 unless you use your option week).

satellitedriver

When you attain enough seniority ups will ask you if your interested, if you are you need to obtain you cdl A permit with air brakes, doubles & triples, and combination endorsements. Once you get that ups will train you (without paying you) for 1 week, if you pass the ups training you will be certified by ups. The department of motor vehicles recognize ups as a certified trainer. you will not have to take a road test at the dmv. Ups will give you the forms stating that you have passed the cdl road tests and pre trips and you will receive your cdl. So it costs you 1 week of your time9 unless you use your option week).
Good info. Seniority being the key.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
why u like to know where im from? just wondering, and yes im from the best city ever AKA buffalo

Easy, Pollock. Its a perfectly reasonable question. In the event you have further questions, he'll be better able to answer them. The New England Supplement is very different from the contract he has in Chicago.

I was watching A&E a few weeks ago and saw this commercial for a new reality series. Its name is something along the lines of True Confessions of a Matchmaker and is set in your city. Anyway, the commercial said Buffalo is the Lonely Hearts Capital of the United States. That's about all I know about your fair city. And I'd say DENVER should be the holder of the designation BEST CITY EVER! Red, at the age of 2, my brother--native born Chicagoan that he is--called Chicago YUCKY! lol. -Rocky

705red

Browncafe Steward
why u like to know where im from? just wondering, and yes im from the best city ever AKA buffalo
First of all buffalo sucks, (bills) afc sucks. Look around at all the locals covering ups employees in new york and see if any of them hire of the street for feeder. I know in chicago local 710 hires some of the street, mostly over the road drivers. GO BEARS!

Pollocknbrown

First of all buffalo sucks, (bills) afc sucks. Look around at all the locals covering ups employees in new york and see if any of them hire of the street for feeder. I know in chicago local 710 hires some of the street, mostly over the road drivers. GO BEARS!

i dont like the bills.....never have, i grew up loving da bears :thumbup1: , so dont be to quick to judge me on that, and rocky, i wasnt getting defensive, i was just merely asking just so i knew, not like im gonna refuse telling.