Is UPS quitting the railroads?

rod

Retired 22 years
We have one coal train after another that is coming from ND to Duluth, Mn. where it is loaded on 1,000 foot ships headed east on the Great Lakes. Also grain trains during harvest season. From what I've read Amtracks Great Northern Limited running from Chicago to Seattle has all but shut down due to not enough track time available.

feeder05

heard a couple of things…BN told UPS that they can not guarantee transit times and said deal with it. Also that BN might build a UPS rail only from chicago to the west coast…who knows?

barnyard

KTM rider
We have one coal train after another that is coming from ND to Duluth, Mn. where it is loaded on 1,000 foot ships headed east on the Great Lakes. Also grain trains during harvest season.

I have read articles and testimony from elevator managers in the Dakotas that own their own railcars that are saying they used to get 2.5 trips per month per trainset and now they are getting less than 1.5 trips a month. These same managers doubt they will have last year's crop shipped before this year's crop starts coming in.

The money that BNSF is making on oil is allowing them to lose UPS business without pain, even though this was business they aggressively developed.

rod

Retired 22 years
I have read articles and testimony from elevator managers in the Dakotas that own their own railcars that are saying they used to get 2.5 trips per month per trainset and now they are getting less than 1.5 trips a month. These same managers doubt they will have last year's crop shipped before this year's crop starts coming in.

The money that BNSF is making on oil is allowing them to lose UPS business without pain, even though this was business they aggressively developed.

Oil is King----all others wait your turn (if there is a turn for you). I have also read about how the farmers in the Dakotas are warning of a disaster coming up this fall at harvest time due to not being able to get their grain to market.