I've noticed that most drivers don't own premium cars that they can afford. Why?

Why do you drive much less than you can afford?

• Just don't wanna appear flashy or showing off

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like to appear as an everyday blue (brown?) collar worker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have different priorities than nice cars

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • I have a big family so the money isn't as much as it seems

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Hey, I'm one of the one's with a luxury car. Gotta problem w/ that?

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters

JL 0513

Thought I'd get some thoughts on this as I've found it curious. As a car lover, I've noticed drivers that are pulling in $75-$100K a year choose to own everyday mainstream cars, instead of premium/luxury brands that they can indeed afford. Since I'm a new driver I'm only half way there so I'm rocking a cheap car myself but I'm wondering what the reasons are for seniority guys. I do see some guys with expensive cars but not many. Actually, the most expensive ones I see are those with new full-size trucks.

Please vote in the poll and/or describe your personal reason. Thanks!

BTW, sorry if this, in any way, has been discussed in the past. Just didn't see any thread like this.

JL 0513

What do you mean?

I'm 34, a homeowner, with a family. On a paycheck HALF that of top rate. Is it unreasonable to think that you can have a nice car on an average of $85,000 a year pay?

Let's play nice please. :grouphug:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Because you don't live and sleep in your car. Self explanatory. If you live in a big house with a fancy car your big ballin or your wifes big ballin too, if you live in a ok sized house with a real expensive car your a wanna be, and if you live in a trailer with a real expensive car well ill leave that blank lol. You get the picture dude.

JL 0513

Just trying to get an idea of the reason why drivers keep it simple, compared to other professions where people who make UPS money often choose to drive luxury brands.

I'm not talking over spending ridiculously on a car. I'm talking reasonable based on driver income. What I'm noticing is drivers driving the same cars as those that make $40K a year.

And I don't know about you, but my commute is 100 miles round trip. Yeah, in my area, 5 centers share seniority which means if we want to go driving, we go where the spot opens up. My home center was 10 minutes away. Now, it's 50 miles away. So I partially live in my car.

Just trying to get an idea of the reason why drivers keep it simple, compared to other professions where people who make UPS money often choose to drive luxury brands.

I'm not talking over spending ridiculously on a car. I'm talking reasonable based on driver income. What I'm noticing is drivers driving the same cars as those that make $40K a year.

And I don't know about you, but my commute is 100 miles round trip. Yeah, in my area, 5 centers share seniority which means if we want to go driving, we go where the spot opens up. My home center was 10 minutes away. Now, it's 50 miles away. So I partially live in my car.
Most centers are in crappy neighborhoods....how nice of a car would you drive to a slum?? Car jacked??

JL 0513

Most centers are in crappy neighborhoods....how nice of a car would you drive to a slum?? Car jacked??

Car jacked? Wow, where's your center at? I live in a city. Never heard of a car jacking.

BTW, my center is on Cape Cod. No slums here obviously. This is where my observation is.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Having an expensive car is cool when your young but when you got big boy bills to pay it isn't so cool anymore. Id rather drive a station wagon and have a fatazz house than live in a trailer and have a Mercedes feel me lol.

JL 0513

Because some of us will want to retire and not have to live in a premium car.

And yet we're one of the few companies left with a pension. The vast majority of people buying luxury badges will have no pension in retirement.

No one finds it odd that drivers own cars that are BELOW the average new car transaction price. So in our particular field, we make much more than the average American, but buy cars cheaper than the average American. Odd?

Average new car transaction price is now $31,252 in the U.S. The cars I see as a whole at my center aren't anywhere close to this except for new p/u's.

JL 0513

Having an expensive car is cool when your young but when you got big boy bills to pay it isn't so cool anymore. Id rather drive a station wagon and have a fatazz house than live in a trailer and have a Mercedes feel me lol.

I'm talking maybe a $35,000 car. Not $75K or something. You can have a great home and a nice car and a whole lotta other things at top rate. I own a really nice 1900 sq ft home in MA on half of top rate. And, I still have a car payment. And a baby....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
And yet we're one of the few companies left with a pension. The vast majority of people buying luxury badges will have no pension in retirement.

No one finds it odd that drivers own cars that are BELOW the average new car transaction price. So in our particular field, we make much more than the average American, but buy cars cheaper than the average American. Odd?

Average new car transaction price is now $31,252 in the U.S. The cars I see as a whole at my center aren't anywhere close to this except for new p/u's.

Maybe the average UPSer works harder for their money and look at money as a limited resource and maybe the average UPSer is wiser than the average worker.

​Maybe that is why the typical Union UPS driver tends to have Republican or Libertarian values rather than Democrat values.

Maybe ...

Maybe ...

Maybe ...

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I feel ya on that. Everyone is different. Id rather stuff that 401k for retirement than have a higher priced car. And buy a couple toys to play with also. A car is meant to bring ya from point a to point b is how I look at it. Its kinda the process of elimination on anything you buy how much and what do you need to get the job done. Good to be thrifty.

JL 0513

Guy's I agree with your points more than I disagree. I drive a Toyota Yaris after all. I'm just very curious to know the overall reasons behind our car buying decisions.

So far, thanks for your replies. :happy-very:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I had a 97 RAV4 for like forever and totaled it but not really too much damage to fix with just liability. I had to buy a new car which really sucked considering I didn't have a car payment for like forever lol. I bought a 2012 Hyundai Santa FE 4 cyl all wheel drive. I got it at end of the year for 23000 brand new looking at 320 car payment not too bad. Pretty decent on gas too about 25 mpg. Needed something good on gas as I drive 68 miles each day back n forth to work and awd just in case it snows in the winter. I didn't need something expensive just something that was practical and met the criteria I needed and a really good warranty.

I had a 97 RAV4 for like forever and totaled it but not really too much damage to fix with just liability. I had to buy a new car which really sucked considering I didn't have a car payment for like forever lol. I bought a 2012 Hyundai Santa FE 4 cyl all wheel drive. I got it at end of the year for 23000 brand new looking at 320 car payment not too bad. Pretty decent on gas too about 25 mpg. Needed something good on gas as I drive 68 miles each day back n forth to work and awd just in case it snows in the winter. I didn't need something expensive just something that was practical and met the criteria I needed and a really good warranty.
I thought you had a Dodge charger with a Rebel flag??...moonshine mobile! :wink2: