I've noticed that most drivers don't own premium cars that they can afford. Why?

Why do you drive much less than you can afford?

• Just don't wanna appear flashy or showing off

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like to appear as an everyday blue (brown?) collar worker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have different priorities than nice cars

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • I have a big family so the money isn't as much as it seems

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Hey, I'm one of the one's with a luxury car. Gotta problem w/ that?

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters

MAKAVELI

Nice! Too bad its a California Edition. It probably has so much
extra pollution BS on it its no where near as high performance as it looks.
Actually most states follow California's smog regulations, so there really is no difference in performance.

rod

Retired 22 years
Actually most states follow California's smog regulations, so there really is no difference in performance.

Why does every car maker make cars that can be sold in every state except California unless they are equipped with Calif emissions BS. I would have to see the performance stats comparing a Calif Mustang and an "anyplace else" Mustang before I could believe both are equal.

MAKAVELI

Why does every car maker make cars that can be sold in every state except California unless they are equipped with Calif emissions BS. I would have to see the performance stats comparing a Calif Mustang and an "anyplace else" Mustang before I could believe both are equal.
Every manufacturer has to meet federal requirements which aren't much less than California and more states have the same requirements as California now. Essentially all cars are the same in all 50 states. The main differences are in the testing and aftermarket parts which have to be CARB approved to be legal in CA. If you bring a used car from out of state to be registered, it will just need to pass the California exhaust emissions limits.

rod

Retired 22 years
Every manufacturer has to meet federal requirements which aren't much less than California and more states have the same requirements as California now. Essentially all cars are the same in all 50 states. The main differences are in the testing and aftermarket parts which have to be CARB approved to be legal in CA. If you bring a used car from out of state to be registered, it will just need to pass the California exhaust emissions limits.

Are you a car salesman in California? :happy:

jaker

trolling
For me I keep cars a long time , when I went driving in 2005 me and my wife had 2001 Hyundai elantras we bought . We kept them until 2009 so 8 years and would have kept them longer but needed a bigger cars

So in 2009 I brought here a used 2007 trail blazer with 20k on it , a few months later I brought a used 2007 jeep with 11k on it we still have both of them and they are running great so no need to get rid of them

I did go by a 2013 commuter car for work and a litte around car and for long distance drives but it was needed

but there really no reason to get a 40k car unless you really want to , a 20k car can do what a 40k car can do and with cheaper insurance

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I disagree with increasing federal requirements for average fuel economy.

I think consumers should be free to decide for themselves what sort of fuel economy they want from their cars. Its called a free market. However....I think that consumers should ALSO have to pay the TRUE cost of the fuel they buy at the pump...meaning an additional tax to pay for the Iraq war and its aftermath as well as the cost of maintaining a huge military presence in the Middle East. In other words...drive whatever you want but be willing to pay $6 or $7 a gallon for gas instead of the artificially cheap, debt-subsidized $3.50 a gallon we are paying now. If gas were $7 a gallon, the free market would be making the fuel-efficient cars that consumers would be demanding without the need for government mandates or interference and we could use the additional "pay at the pump" taxes to support our military rather than simply passing the cost along to our grandchildren in the form of debt. That is how a "free market" is really supposed to work.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sober, you should go to Europe sometime, if you haven't already done so. Petrol is at least double but they have long since embraced fuel efficient cars, public and alternate forms of transportation. SUV's and friend-150's are unheard of.

Sent using BrownCafe App

MAKAVELI

I disagree with increasing federal requirements for average fuel economy.

I think consumers should be free to decide for themselves what sort of fuel economy they want from their cars. Its called a free market. However....I think that consumers should ALSO have to pay the TRUE cost of the fuel they buy at the pump...meaning an additional tax to pay for the Iraq war and its aftermath as well as the cost of maintaining a huge military presence in the Middle East. In other words...drive whatever you want but be willing to pay $6 or $7 a gallon for gas instead of the artificially cheap, debt-subsidized $3.50 a gallon we are paying now. If gas were $7 a gallon, the free market would be making the fuel-efficient cars that consumers would be demanding without the need for government mandates or interference and we could use the additional "pay at the pump" taxes to support our military rather than simply passing the cost along to our grandchildren in the form of debt. That is how a "free market" is really supposed to work.

Sent using BrownCafe App
The fuel efficiency standards are not just to keep fuel costs down, it's also better for the environment. The less fuel being burned, the less pollutants go into the air. It is a win, win proposition.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The fuel efficiency standards are not just to keep fuel costs down, it's also better for the environment. The less fuel being burned, the less pollutants go into the air. It is a win, win proposition.
I agree 100% that the enviornment benefits from increased MPG; I just prefer a free-market approach to getting there and if people had to pay $7 a gallon there would be enough of a demand for hyper-efficient cars that regulation would be unneeded. I would also exclude domestically-produced renewable biofuels from the tax in order to encourage their use. This, combined with some modifications to EPA regs, would encourage the use of cars like the VW Lupo...available in Europe but not here...that can get 80MPG on biodiesel made from domestically grown canola, algae or even recycled cooking oil.

Sent using BrownCafe App

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
quote="poopsup, post: 1291523, member: 49117"]I got an 03' 4 Runner. Works for me. Dependable, nice looking, holds it value. I got it 2 years ago for 8k. Only 148k on the engine and haven't had one issue. I'll probably keep it for a another 5-10 years. The V8 in that puppy is fun![/quote]

I just like commuting on my Kawasaki when I can. 45mpg and 111hp on demand.:blushing2: