I've noticed that most drivers don't own premium cars that they can afford. Why?

Why do you drive much less than you can afford?

• Just don't wanna appear flashy or showing off

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like to appear as an everyday blue (brown?) collar worker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have different priorities than nice cars

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • I have a big family so the money isn't as much as it seems

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Hey, I'm one of the one's with a luxury car. Gotta problem w/ that?

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters
It's your personal logic, and that's fine It's purely opinion though. Doesn't seem as though you saw the sarcasm in my analogies that you quoted. It was all to make a point about why one might want a nice car.

Exactly my point. What's the differance in other nice things and nice cars? Nice shoes wear out. Why not just get $20 shoes? People prefer Nike's in the same way they prefer a Lexus.

Again, being sarcastic. I have a 60" in my living room and a 51" in my bedroom. It was for the purpose of argument.

I was talking UPS package cars. Many of us still don't have power steering. Of course regular cars have had power steering standard for decades.

I do indeed value your opinion. I asked for everyone's and appreciate it. This is a great debate.

Yes, there are still NEW cars available for around $12-$13K to start. Nissan Versa, ect...

Like I said earlier, I drive a Yaris. A $14K sub-compact that I bought used. It now has 150,000 trouble free miles on it. I love the car but in a few years I lookfrward to a rnice upgrade after I reach top rate.

Premium brands usually start around $30-$35K. That's all I'm talking about. I would never expect a driver to pull up in a Mercedes S-Class. I do see drivers with vehicles in the $35K area, but it's mostly trucks rather than luxury sedans.

:grouphug:

Thats way too much of a post......for nothing important..buy a car lot and sell to UPS employees their is your future!..........good luck with that!

gingerkat

OP,
Firstly boy, it's hard to read sarcasm as this is text, but thanks for putting me in line - lol.

I think it also has to do with where you live. In a large city, people drive flashy cars to look the part. Even people that can't afford flashy cars, have them. For me, a premium car starts at about 50k, so I guess we do differ on price point.

So, no matter what you drive people will always have something to say, that is just life. There is nothing wrong with getting an upgrade, so grant yourself that wish and get the car that you really want. You don't need this board for approval. Big boy, go get your car!

DS

Fenderbender
Your poll does not apply to many of us.
All the questions are outside our realm of our DOK
Here's a list of all the cars I ever owned.
It was always about what I could afford.

My first car was my dad's 1964 rambler.
-63 ford falcon, 3 volkswagen beetles,63 ford econoline van,
73 impala,84 cutless supreme,92 caprice,76 grand prix,
02,mazda protege,04 sentra.
I now have a 2011 civic.

A lot of people lease cars now.New car every 4 years,or whatever.
What colour iPhone 5c you got?
JK

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
My Santa Fe was the first new car I ever bought. I wrecked it while I was on vacation on a wed and had to be to work back on mon. It was kinda a rush job but homeboy needed some wheels fast lol. I didn't wanna spend anymore than 320 a month. I figured why not get a new car for 320 a month. If I got a used car it would have cost me probably just as much a month. Obviously a used car would have been cheaper but the way I put miles on a car a year(16 to 18k) I figured it would be a safer and smarter bet to just get it new with a really good warranty. Trust me I surely didn't want a another payment a month but a car payment isn't bad debt you know. You gotta get back and forth to Alcatraz everyday lol.

OP,
Firstly boy, it's hard to read sarcasm as this is text, but thanks for putting me in line - lol.

I think it also has to do with where you live. In a large city, people drive flashy cars to look the part. Even people that can't afford flashy cars, have them. For me, a premium car starts at about 50k, so I guess we do differ on price point.

So, no matter what you drive people will always have something to say, that is just life. There is nothing wrong with getting an upgrade, so grant yourself that wish and get the car that you really want. You don't need this board for approval. Big boy, go get your car!

Meow.....lol

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Everybody splurges on different stuff that's for sure. I got about 7k to 10k in my theater room. But with this job im a homebody anyway. I like to chill and watch movies in my downtime on my 163 inch projection screen. Plus my boys come over to my crib for nfl,ufc and boxing while im whoopin their azzes in some ping pong lol.

Everybody splurges on different stuff that's for sure. I got about 7k to 10k in my theater room. But with this job im a homebody anyway. I like to chill and watch movies in my downtime on my 163 inch projection screen. Plus my boys come over to my crib for nfl,ufc and boxing while im whoopin their azzes in some ping pong lol.

Are you sober? wtf?.I understood everything you said tonight!....wait...maybe im drunk.....lol

JL 0513

OP,

I've had grey hair for about 12 years, "boy" doesn't quite describe me. :wink2:

I wish we could just talk about things on this board without the immature bashing and criticism of threads started ( not directed at you necessarily). It's all over the board. What is it for if we can't discuss everything?

​Just talking cars guys. No big deal.
Let's all be nice.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Actually I only drank 1 tonight when I got home. Def being a slackass tonight IGP lol. I didn't drink but you know how I roll hint hint lol. PUFF THE MAGIC DRAGON lol.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I've had grey hair for about 12 years, "boy" doesn't quite describe me. :wink2:

I wish we could just talk about things on this board without the immature bashing and criticism of threads started ( not directed at you necessarily). It's all over the board. What is it for if we can't discuss everything?

​Just talking cars guys. No big deal.
Let's all be nice.
People are being nice....just that earlier post was long and kind of hard to follow. Many of us have the attention span of a gnat, so after like four sentences....I'm out...lol. No offense.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Everybody splurges on different stuff that's for sure. I got about 7k to 10k in my theater room. But with this job im a homebody anyway. I like to chill and watch movies in my downtime on my 163 inch projection screen. Plus my boys come over to my crib for nfl,ufc and boxing while im whoopin their azzes in some ping pong ,420 meeting lol

fixed that for ya

raceanoncr

A shallow person loves things ............

If you're referencing me, then I'll own up. Yes, I DID love things, CARS. That love was forcibly smitten by many circumstances, not the least of which was divorce.

I was anal to the point of "Pledging" my vinyl floor mats every week, requiring a person to take off their shoes (YES, I did that!), waxing the underside of the hood, polishing EVERY piece on the car, whether it needed it or not! And it was all taken away. Did I die? Well, at first but I recovered. AND started listening to my moms favorite radio personality: Bruce Williams. He stated many times: DON'T LOVE ANYTHING THAT CAN'T LOVE YOU BACK. Wow! He's got a point.

Cut to now: Yes, I have a lot of things, BUT, I could let go of EVERYTHING if it meant I or my wife couldn't eat. My cars? They're nice but I don't LOVE em anymore. I can always get another one just like it or similar. Now, I only buy what I can pay cash for...no CREDIT.

It just doesn't matter anymore to me. Or, rather, I'm not chasing a dream anymore. I have everything I need but could start over if I had to. I know I could, I've done it before.

gingerkat

Firstly OP, let me apologize to you. I'm a little ADHD and I didn't see that you did include what you thought a"premium" car was. Wow, that's a premium car price? I guess it really must have to do with where you live. If I was still living in the land of cheese, I would probably think a premium price was around $15k, or a tractor + a cow & a farmers daughter lol.

Maybe you went about doing this thread a little wrong. When you got answers you didn't expect, it looked like you were throwing a bit of a tantrum, IMO. But, it's very hard to know what someone really means when they are just typing words. When I called you boy, I said it because you are younger than me, and I call everyone boy that is younger than me.

If you use the word logic with me and my opinions, please make sure you use that word logically - haha. Otherwise I'll beat you to death with it. Obviously everyone's needs are different depending where you live in the US. Just go buy something that you like and want. Get an automatic, get power windows, get power steering, get a hooker, etc. Enjoy life!

JL 0513

Firstly OP, let me apologize to you. I'm a little ADHD and I didn't see that you did include what you thought a"premium" car was. Wow, that's a premium car price? I guess it really must have to do with where you live. If I was still living in the land of cheese, I would probably think a premium price was around $15k, or a tractor + a cow & a farmers daughter lol.

Maybe you went about doing this thread a little wrong. When you got answers you didn't expect, it looked like you were throwing a bit of a tantrum, IMO. But, it's very hard to know what someone really means when they are just typing words. When I called you boy, I said it because you are younger than me, and I call everyone boy that is younger than me.

If you use the word logic with me and my opinions, please make sure you use that word logically - haha. Otherwise I'll beat you to death with it. Obviously everyone's needs are different depending where you live in the US. Just go buy something that you like and want. Get an automatic, get power windows, get power steering, get a hooker, etc. Enjoy life!

It's all good :). I think the overall tone an idea of the thread was misunderstood.

Perhaps I should have clarified "premium". It does carry different meanings. I never even meant cars over $50 or $60K, even though drivers could indeed afford them. I was thinking that guys earning an average of $80K a year would at least have cars in the average range of say $25-$30K (average car in US). This isn't the case. The average vehicle in our employee lot is worth maybe $10K. People working at McDonald's drive similar vehicles.

All I wanted to find out was what the average drivers view on car buying habits was. The overall tone was that cars are simply an A to B appliance. That's fine. I think many people see cars more than just that though.

Also, this thread wasn't meant to impact my personal buying decisions. I know how I feel about it.

My current plans is to drive my Yaris for about 4 more years at which point it will have about 275,000 miles and trade it in for a 2017Camry.

:)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
When I was young and stupid, I thought the kind of vehicle I drove was important. I had a hot rod first car, bought a '69 Corvette after that, and that gray market BMW 745i was a blast to drive. I finally came to the conclusion that cars are only good for driving to point A to point B, I didn't care about trying to impress total strangers driving down the road. Cars and boats are the worst things in the world to invest in. I lost a lot of money on all my cars except one, the Vette I kept for 25 years and I doubled my money on it.

I laugh at the few drivers I work with that drive expensive vehicles. The driver with the Land Rover knows nothing about cars. The guys with $40K pickup trucks need them to pull their boats and campers, most of them are living from paycheck to paycheck. You ask them how their 401K is doing and they just look at you with a blank look. I just changed the oil in my 2002 Chevy pickup with 190K miles. I haven't had a car note in eight years, I'm happy with that. My vehicle cranks up every time, the A/C and radio work, and I keep it in good shape. Its more important to be wise with your money and invest it in better things.

JL 0513

When I was young and stupid, I thought the kind of vehicle I drove was important. I had a hot rod first car, bought a '69 Corvette after that, and that gray market BMW 745i was a blast to drive. I finally came to the conclusion that cars are only good for driving to point A to point B, I didn't care about trying to impress total strangers driving down the road. Cars and boats are the worst things in the world to invest in. I lost a lot of money on all my cars except one, the Vette I kept for 25 years and I doubled my money on it.

I laugh at the few drivers I work with that drive expensive vehicles. The driver with the Land Rover knows nothing about cars. The guys with $40K pickup trucks need them to pull their boats and campers, most of them are living from paycheck to paycheck. You ask them how their 401K is doing and they just look at you with a blank look. I just changed the oil in my 2002 Chevy pickup with 190K miles. I haven't had a car note in eight years, I'm happy with that. My vehicle cranks up every time, the A/C and radio work, and I keep it in good shape. Its more important to be wise with your money and invest it in better things.

Thing is, to a lot of people, cars are so much more than just a transportation device. Passions run deep with automobiles. It has for their 120 year or so existence. I'm a huge car enthusiast (it's what I think about the most). This idea about impressing others has nothing to do with loving cars and wanting a nice car. Some people look at it that way, but most want a nice car for their own personal pleasure.

Luxury cars are luxurious inside to pamper the driver (and passengers). The plush seats, excellent sound system, and fine driving dynamics aren't there to impress your friends. Those qualities exist for the owners pure pleasure. Every type of car has its purpose. It's why we have many hundreds of models to choose from. Many different wants, needs, and price points.

I'm wondering. Would I be begrudged by fellow employees if I showed up in a nice Lexus? It would be a shame if I was. I sure wouldn't judge anyone's purchase decision.

Some people might want a boat. Some people might want to spend big on fancy landscaping. Some people love cars.