Jarrett may need a Shop Steward

upsdude

Found this at Jayski.com...............

Jarrett could leave MWR? XM Radio reported on Sunday that #44-Dale Jarrett, Michael Waltrip Racing and Toyota were re-evaluating Jarrett’s future with the team and could release him outright or sending him to a different Toyota team, either a current team or one that could switch to Toyota next season.(Ford Racing/XM Radio - need to sign up to view)(6-11-2007)

Waltrip needs to fire himself first. :thumbup1:

UPS can't be happy about this, but hey, they went into business with an idiot, Waltrip.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
As we all have heard at UPS at one time or another, are you the part of the problem or part of the solution! DJ has had how many crew chiefs in the past 3 years? I think he has had at least 6 under contract and who nows how many more temps. He maybe a nice guy but being nice doesn't get you into races and good finishes. How can Mark Martin run part time with a new team and perform so well? DJ needs to be released and UPS needs to move on!

upsdude

As we all have heard at UPS at one time or another, are you the part of the problem or part of the solution! DJ has had how many crew chiefs in the past 3 years? I think he has had at least 6 under contract and who nows how many more temps. He maybe a nice guy but being nice doesn't get you into races and good finishes. How can Mark Martin run part time with a new team and perform so well? DJ needs to be released and UPS needs to move on!

Just a note about Jarrett's former crew chiefs; One of them was Mike Ford, Ford is currently Denny Hamlin's crew chief. Seems to be working out pretty well for Hamlin. :thumbup1:

JustTired

free at last.......
In another thread, they were talking about reduced inventory in automotive. Maybe the IE guys have that also including his garage.

I'm not saying Jarrett doesn't want to win, but I think the fire is gone. It was gone not too long after the UPS affiliation. Oh...there was the occasional spark, but overall...............

If they really wanted to cash in, they would be looking into the Jr. thing. Of course "cash" being the operative word. You get what you pay for, though. And I doubt they would spend that kind of money.

I'm not a Jr. fan, so my position is unbiased. If they want max exposure, though, they need to put up or get out.

Maybe they can get that "whiteboard" commercial guy to strap in and give it a go. He's probably more in their price range.

Dutch Dawg

It's easy for me to set behind this keyboard pecking away at the many flaws of UPS's NASCAR driver sponsorship cause most of my theories have and never will be proven and I have never felt the pressure of actually making this decision.

That said from what I've observed of the Jarret/UPS relationship should it come to a premature end. UPS either needs to assign another driver/team selection committee or get out of NASCAR driver sponsorship all together. Cause I don't think we should be having this conversation again in three years and we surely will if the same people make the same mistakes and frankly I don't trust them to do anything but make the same mistakes in selecting another drive should it come to that..... whew my pecking fingers are tired.

I don't think they sat down the last time and seriously discussed Jarret's future winning potential. They were too busy wondering how he'd look on camera and being in over their heads.

JustTired

free at last.......
I don't think their that concerned with winning. They just want somebody who will most likely be in every race. Somebody who doesn't wreck out often would be a plus, also.

For maximum exposure , though, you have to have a top tier driver. I've gone whole races where I haven't heard a drivers (or several) name mentioned, let alone the sponsors name.

As a stockholder....if they're going to waste money on nascar sponsorship, then I would like to see the money spent more wisely. In other words, where there is a better chance of some kind of return.

dragracer66

I say :censored2: Jarret and go Vandergriff. He is # 7 in point's and dragracing is more people and family friendly!!! Why drive in circle's looking for the finish line when it's straight in front of you!!!! Anybody can get into a 400hp car and go round and around for 3 1/2 hr's. Strap 8000 hp to your ass and see what happen's!!!:thumbup1:

UPS Lifer

I say :censored2: Jarret and go Vandergriff. He is # 7 in point's and dragracing is more people and family friendly!!! Why drive in circle's looking for the finish line when it's straight in front of you!!!! Anybody can get into a 400hp car and go round and around for 3 1/2 hr's. Strap 8000 hp to your ass and see what happen's!!!:thumbup1:

Not going to defend Jarrett ....he needs to go, but I have a renewed respect for NASCAR. I paid the money to race around California speedway in a Bush series car at 160. One false move and you are in the wall. This ain't your typical Sunday drive.

Back in the day I had a 69 SS Camaro with 425hp. All I did was street race and spend time at Irwindale running the lights.

These drivers earn their money (except Jarrett:thumbdown). We need to sponsor many more and different sporting events and dump Jarrett.

local804

I don't think their that concerned with winning. They just want somebody who will most likely be in every race. Somebody who doesn't wreck out often would be a plus, also.

Tend to disagree with you on that one buddy.I dont know anyone who competes (owners or players) that dont play to win!

JustTired

free at last.......
Tend to disagree with you on that one buddy.I dont know anyone who competes (owners or players) that dont play to win!

Sure, DJ (driver) and Waltrip (owner) both want to win.
But if you look at it from a marketing standpoint, for UPS (sponsor), having great exposure is a "win".

They're not getting that exposure at present. At least on a consistent level. I think they would have been better off staying with the 88 car (still not the ideal situation). Of course, they would have had to trash the commercials and start all over. A major expense, to say the least.

I tend to agree with whoever said that they were looking more for a personality than a top notch driver. You need both to succeed.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that when Jarrett was let go by Yates, UPS had the prime opportunity to make a change. They made the wrong choice. Does that really surprise anybody?

hair

All the talk about being competive, exposure, return on investment is right on. DJ just seems to be running out the string on past glory. Try something new; Kasey Kahne, Montoya, etc. Tap into a different demographic. I think the old boys club that DJ represents shouldn't be a concern anymore. Lets get creative and competive.

LKLND3380

Found this at Jayski.com...............

Jarrett could leave MWR? XM Radio reported on Sunday that #44-Dale Jarrett, Michael Waltrip Racing and Toyota were re-evaluating Jarrett’s future with the team and could release him outright or sending him to a different Toyota team, either a current team or one that could switch to Toyota next season.(Ford Racing/XM Radio - need to sign up to view)(6-11-2007)

Waltrip needs to fire himself first. :thumbup1:

UPS can't be happy about this, but hey, they went into business with an idiot, Waltrip.

Well he is a driver for UPS... I guess he should have a Union Steward... Imagine what his union dues would be... I guess he could file a grievance any time he looses or does not qualify...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I wonder if UPS can fire DJ for job abandonment since he usually can't make the field on Race Day.:crying:

dragracer66

Ok,I`ll admit this one is the sexist pig in me,so sue me.
ashley.jpg
Should I tell ashley you have been asking about her when I see her in 10 day's!!!!

Anyone that drives for UPS knows exactly what is costing DJ valuable time during the race.... His route is nothing but left hand turns!! :w00t::laugh::w00t::laugh:

upsgrunt

Remember when our best and only advertisement was package cars that were washed every night? With what UPS has invested in Jarrett, the money spent on the car wash should be a no brainer! I say fire Jarrett and wash every car every night and pocket the difference.

JustTired

free at last.......
Anyone that drives for UPS knows exactly what is costing DJ valuable time during the race.... His route is nothing but left hand turns!! :w00t::laugh::w00t::laugh:

Good one!

Maybe he should be time studied. Those geniuses in IE should be able to straighten him out.

Wait........maybe that's the problem.....they already have.:tongue_sm