Jewish holiday, not in union yet

brownedout

Not wise-----------------------but it is fun. ----------- Honestly Good Friday was treated just like any other day at my old center. Why would Good Friday be so light as to give everyone the day off? Did the shippers all take good thursday off too so there was no volumn to deliver on Friday? All I remember is I had to run like hell to get my business off before noon when the majority closed for 3 hours so their employees could attend church----------------although a good many of them went to the local saloon for a burger and a half dozen beers. I took lunch and deliverd residential between noon and 3 and then went back to business as usual. There were times I never got all my businesss off and pickups made because they closed for the day at noon---didn't matter-closed/holiday----see ya monday.

Rod, not to belabor the point, but all of what you said, confirms my "skeleton crew" statement more than your "any other day"

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
THis kid has balls He's gonnah KOUFAX BIG BROWN !!!
It is a well documented and indisputable fact that Sandy Koufax was one of the best pitchers in baseball history. It is also an indisputable fact that he refused to pitch the opening game of the 1965 World Series because it conflicted with Yom Kippur.

GO GET EM KID !!!
4-22-11_Sandy%20Koufax.gif

moreluck

golden ticket member
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, you actually will yourself to say something intelligent
It's a joke...like with the UPS socks. So many Jewish comedians...........Shelly Berman , Alan King and Shecky Green would get it and not be offended. Hell, they'd probably say it themselves.

UPSGUY72

Employers are required to make reasonable accomodations to accomodate a person's religious beliefs. This is the law in the U.S. Check out http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/employee-religious-holidays.html for more information.

The key word here is reasonable they don't have to let everyone that is Jewish that day off it would interrupt operations. With that being said he can ask for it off but isn't guaranteed to get it. They have to have enough people scheduled to work to get the job done. He can always call in and either have to start his 30 days over or take the chance of not making his 30 days.

jalnar

You dont have to tell them anything. I WILL NOT BE THERE PERIODI ahve been there for 25 years and I always take the Holy Days OFF period. If they give you a hard time file a grievance for discimination.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The new ERI survey has a few questions about time off and accomodating personal issues. Maybe the company is going to become more humane in the future. I strongly disagree.

kdogg788

I think they won't have any problem with you taking it off, but it most likely won't be a paid holiday. There are religious discrimination laws in your favor that would prevent them from making a stink about it.

-k