Jobs

moreluck

golden ticket member
Shhhhhhh! Have you heard? The president has a plan for job creation! It's based on his new attitude of Git 'er done!! Well, actually he said "get it done".
It's like a surprise because he's not sharing his plan with the country until after Labor Day.

Something tells me, Sonny, that you'll be making up this plan in Martha's vinyard. Just scribble something so people will think you're working. We'll know when the sand falls out of your folder.

If he truly had a common sense plan, he would want to brag on it and try to bring up those falling numbers. No, really, he has one.....after Labor Day it'll be unveiled!!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
maybe this is his plan...............
The U.S. currently admits about 800,000 legal immigrants per year, all of whom are authorized for employment.
This goes on year in and year out, regardless of the level of unemployment.
If the U.S. had halted legal immigration when the unemployment rate began to rise sharply in late 2008 we would have 2-3 million fewer job seekers now, and the unemployment rate would be about 2 points lower (7% rather than 9%). This may not sound like a dramatic difference, but imagine the political implications if bhos could propose a bill that would cost the government no money and would reduce the unemployment rate by 2 points before next year’s election. That would change the entire narrative of the campaign.

moreluck

golden ticket member
He's going to create a Department of Jobs! He says, "We know what to do." I don't think you do!!
Just what we need, another department.

He needs a Department of Clues......to give him a clue!!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Seattle's 'green jobs' program a bust

Last year, Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn announced the city had won a coveted $20 million federal grant to invest in weatherization. The unglamorous work of insulating crawl spaces and attics had emerged as a silver bullet in a bleak economy – able to create jobs and shrink carbon footprint – and the announcement came with great fanfare.

McGinn had joined Vice President Joe Biden in the White House to make it. It came on the eve of Earth Day. It had heady goals: creating 2,000 living-wage jobs in Seattle and retrofitting 2,000 homes in poorer neighborhoods.

But more than a year later, Seattle's numbers are lackluster. As of last week, only three homes had been retrofitted and just 14 new jobs have emerged from the program. Many of the jobs are administrative, and not the entry-level pathways once dreamed of for low-income workers. Some people wonder if the original goals are now achievable.

"The jobs haven't surfaced yet," said Michael Woo, director of Got Green, a Seattle community organizing group focused on the environment and social justice.

"It's been a very slow and tedious process. It's almost painful, the number of meetings people have gone to. Those are the people who got jobs. There's been no real investment for the broader public."

'Who's got the money'

The buildings that have gotten financing so far include the Washington Athletic Club and a handful of hospitals, a trend that concerns community advocates who worry the program isn't helping lower-income homeowners.
As of last week, 337 homeowners had applied for the program. Fourteen had gotten a loan, or were in the process of getting one.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/127844048.html

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Taiwan Denied friend-16s Due to ChiCom Pressure
Instead of the 66 friend-16C/Ds that were requested, the Pentagon is instead going to provide “upgrades” of the current Taiwanese system.
A financial analysis firm, the Perryman Group, had estimated that the Taiwan purchase would have created more than 16,000 jobs and $768 million in federal tax revenue.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
So, according to various counts there are between 12 to 15 million illegal immigrants in the U.S.

There are about 11 million people who are currently unemployed is around 14.5 million.

You ENFORCE your immigration laws and prevent illegals from working in our country, and look at how many jobs would open up....about the same. Ok, so if you figure maybe HALF of the illegals are working that would put roughly 7.5 million AMERICANS back to work instead of giving jobs to people who have NO RIGHT to be here in the first place.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So, according to various counts there are between 12 to 15 million illegal immigrants in the U.S.

There are about 11 million people who are currently unemployed is around 14.5 million.

You ENFORCE your immigration laws and prevent illegals from working in our country, and look at how many jobs would open up....about the same. Ok, so if you figure maybe HALF of the illegals are working that would put roughly 7.5 million AMERICANS back to work instead of giving jobs to people who have NO RIGHT to be here in the first place.

Nice thought but Americans wouldn't do the majority of jobs that illegals do. They would much rather sit at home and collect unemployment.

I will give you an example close to where I live. We have a lot of apple orchards. Apple trees require a lot of care and someone has to harvest the crop. You would think that hiring locals would be a good fit but it turns out that we don't have the patience nor care to properly prune and pick the apples so they have to bring in workers from Jamaica. They fly them in, house them, feed them and pay them; in turn, the Jamaicans send back about 80% of what they make (the remaining 20% goes to the NYS Lottery--Jamaicans love to play the lottery).

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Nice thought but Americans wouldn't do the majority of jobs that illegals do. They would much rather sit at home and collect unemployment.

I do agree that Americans unfortunately prefer the gov't handout as opposed to working for it. However if there was a realistic limit for unemployment benefits, and you only had them for lets say, 1 year, MAYBE these Americans would then have the motivation to do jobs that they are not so fond of.

Although I doubt that they would. Culture of laziness and dependence on the government.....what a shame.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would personally love to see them on the sides of the road picking up trash, cleaning up parks, painting or whatever to earn their handouts. I would also love to see benefits denied if the claimant refuses to accept a job offer of any kind. To be fair, if an unemployed person accepts a job which pay less than their previous job they should be compensated for the difference.

99 weeks of unemployement benefits is absurd.

It is true that many Americans would rather suck on the government tit than work, that is the result of generations of increasing the freebees offered by our governments. 99 weeks of unemployment is out of control. In my nearly 50 years of working, I have changed jobs many times. LOL, one year I had nine W2 forms at tax time. I have quit jobs on the spur of the moment, been laid off and even was fired once, never drew a dime of unemployment insurance. When I was between jobs (unemployed) I hit the bricks, looking for a job, any job while others were at the employment agency trying to get an extension on their benefits. That kind of "stick to it" no longer seems to exist.

wkmac

It is true that many Americans would rather suck on the government tit than work, that is the result of generations of increasing the freebees offered by our governments. 99 weeks of unemployment is out of control. In my nearly 50 years of working, I have changed jobs many times. LOL, one year I had nine W2 forms at tax time. I have quit jobs on the spur of the moment, been laid off and even was fired once, never drew a dime of unemployment insurance. When I was between jobs (unemployed) I hit the bricks, looking for a job, any job while others were at the employment agency trying to get an extension on their benefits. That kind of "stick to it" no longer seems to exist.

If they end the unemployment, those folks flood back into a depressed employment market. Just to even survive, they will at that point take a lower wage or salary where they can find it. This market force then places pressures on existing wages and salaries of current workers who are higher to come down and overall wages and salaries will. This in turn reduces tax revenues to local, state and federal govt's and it also places pressures on the prices of goods and services to come down as well again reducing gov't revenues. All this is about the gov't and what keeps it alive and it only includes you when it needs the veneer to sell itself to the public.

The whole reason the market is not turning around is because it wants to deflate. Bubbles when they get to big need to deflate and the gov't in protecting itself and it's own mal-investment and mis-allocation is keeping the bubble inflated for itself but the debt burden will be on us and future generations to come. Also kicking the can down the road just makes the problem that much worse next time if there is a next time.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Pssst, still waiting for Boehner's Jobs Bill. Wasn't that what the GOP ran on in 2010?

I'm still waiting almost 3 years now for the president ,who puts jobs #1 (as Pelosi says), to bring it!! I hear a bill is coming after congress returns.....I wonder how much it's gonna cost us??

moreluck

golden ticket member
id9gef.gif