Juneteenth is now a federal holiday !!!

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
But to answer your question, yes I do. To be bound to one location, being talked to as if you are owned, whipped across the back if you don't jump to it, living in a shack with threadbare c!othes while the master lives in the big mansion, not being able to read or write, basically being kept like a mule for labor, having your children taken from you and sold to others, yeah, they are much better off today.
True, they get to kill each other today.

vantexan

Sometimes the grownups know better. Are the Philippine people better off today or would they have been better off under the Spanish or Japanese? Don’t be naive.
And many times some groups believe they are superior and it's up to them to rule, i.e. benefit from, others. They convince themselves that that's the natural order of things. Can't think of an example in history where that ultimately went well.

UnionStrong

And many times some groups believe they are superior and it's up to them to rule, i.e. benefit from, others. They convince themselves that that's the natural order of things. Can't think of an example in history where that ultimately went well.
Look no further than the Roman Empire. It only lasted 800 years.

vantexan

True, they get to kill each other today.
True, some get to kill each other today. Not fair to lump all in the same category. I've known plenty of blacks that I would much rather have as a neighbor than plenty of whites I've known. And I've known plenty from each group that I don't trust at all.

UnionStrong

True, some get to kill each other today. Not fair to lump all in the same category. I've known plenty of blacks that I would much rather have as a neighbor than plenty of whites I've known. And I've known plenty from each group that I don't trust at all.
Some? Every major city is a violent combat zone. I’ve known way more maniacs that were white, but we still didn’t kill indiscriminately.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
A 15-second story of a “single, ragged Confederate who obviously didn’t own any slaves.” When asked by a group of Yankee soldiers why he was fighting, the Rebel replied, “I’m fighting because you’re down here,” - Shelby Foote

UnionStrong

A 15-second story of a “single, ragged Confederate who obviously didn’t own any slaves.” When asked by a group of Yankee soldiers why he was fighting, the Rebel replied, “I’m fighting because you’re down here,” - Shelby Foote
God bless those brave men of the south. I only wish I have the same courage when the time comes.

UnionStrong

That it ended slavery is what's important to me.
IMG_4655.gif

vantexan

Still better than the rest. 509bc to about 450 AD or so. It’s a mirror image of this country.
Not really. Ran on slavery. If someone rebelled in a town the Romans killed everyone in that town. The Romans as a group weren't particularly noble but they did have noble people amongst them.

UnionStrong

Not really. Ran on slavery. If someone rebelled in a town the Romans killed everyone in that town. The Romans as a group weren't particularly noble but they did have noble people amongst them.
Read or listen to the whole history. Really. You don’t know enough about it. Seriously.

UnionStrong

It's been about 20 years since I've read extensively about Rome. But any society built on conquering and dominating other groups has fatal flaws that ultimately unravel.
They stopped conquered after Trajan. From Hadrian on it was maintaining the borders. Prior to that they even treated the slaves better, since the trade had dried up.