Juneteenth is now a federal holiday !!!

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
As a Christian I'd have to ask if what I'm defending is the right thing to do in the sight of God. That's a question that would be hard to answer in the 1860's because it was so ingrained in the culture. But that the Union prevailed says to me that the right side won. There's a lot of what is considered Black culture today I don't care for. But they should be as free as anyone to live their lives. It's just a shame that a lot of good people had to die to get us out of slavery.
The Bolsheviks won in 1917, did that tell you it was the right thing too. Considering how many innocent people died after that, I’d say no. The wheel of history is enormous, we can’t always judge it in a generation or two. To think otherwise is vanity.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
As a Christian I'd have to ask if what I'm defending is the right thing to do in the sight of God. That's a question that would be hard to answer in the 1860's because it was so ingrained in the culture. But that the Union prevailed says to me that the right side won. There's a lot of what is considered Black culture today I don't care for. But they should be as free as anyone to live their lives. It's just a shame that a lot of good people had to die to get us out of slavery.
Two forms of society went to war with each other in 1860.
The South believed they were fighting the second American revolution and the North believed they were fighting to preserve the Union.

vantexan

Slavery would have taken care of itself. See how quick you are to focus on "what you've been told"the war was about? Surprising given your take on the covid shot.
The union forced the first shots that were fired. Read some real history. Not what the Lincoln lovers want you to know.
You can conduct a preemptive strike if you see the evidence that you are about to be invaded.
Attempting to resupply a fort was/is an act of war. That's really was the point. The purpose of the Powhatan expedition was to resupply Sumter and in in doing so maintain the federal presence in and domination of Charleston harbor.
Yeah, the South fired the first shot, but Davis was under pressure not to appear powerless in the face of a federal naval force. Lincoln put Davis in the dilemma of firing or appearing not to be the leader of a real nation.
Slavery ended in the British Empire in 1807 although not in the colonies until 1838. But it ended. Importation of slaves into the U.S. ended in 1808. Yet the slave owners held on with no indication of an end in sight by 1860. So if the Civil War hadn't happened how long would blacks have had to endure slavery? Too bad for them? It was an evil practice that there was no justification for before a Civil War had to be fought.

UnionStrong

Slavery ended in the British Empire in 1807 although not in the colonies until 1838. But it ended. Importation of slaves into the U.S. ended in 1808. Yet the slave owners held on with no indication of an end in sight by 1860. So if the Civil War hadn't happened how long would blacks have had to endure slavery? Too bad for them? It was an evil practice that there was no justification for before a Civil War had to be fought.
It would have ended eventually, and without 700,000 deaths. Oh and, :censored2: the British empire.

vantexan

The Bolsheviks won in 1917, did that tell you it was the right thing too. Considering how many innocent people died after that, I’d say no. The wheel of history is enormous, we can’t always judge it in a generation or two. To think otherwise is vanity.
The Bolsheviks won because the Russians losing to Japan then having a tough time in WWI led to the communists getting an upper hand. For most Russians in serfdom the rise of communism was just exchanging one set of masters for another.

UnionStrong

The Bolsheviks won because the Russians losing to Japan then having a tough time in WWI led to the communists getting an upper hand. For most Russians in serfdom the rise of communism was just exchanging one set of masters for another.
Wrong.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Again.
The Civil War was not fought because of slavery.

If the importation of slaves stopped in 1808, the Northern states were not aware of it. Talk about big money. The slave trade made many northerners filthy rich.

vantexan

Again.
The Civil War was not fought because of slavery.

If the importation of slaves stopped in 1808, the Northern states were not aware of it. Talk about big money. The slave trade made many northerners filthy rich.
The domestic slave trade continued. Any slaves brought from elsewhere after 1808 were smuggled.

vantexan

Well now, you think blacks are much better off free?
You know what? The U.S. ran the Philippines like a top. But the Filipinos kept asking for their independence. They said it was better to govern themselves poorly than to be ruled by someone else.

Same concept. I'm of the opinion that the country will be better off when the vast majority of people are of mixed ancestry. Then maybe, it's a stretch I know, just maybe we can get past the racial strife.

UnionStrong

You know what? The U.S. ran the Philippines like a top. But the Filipinos kept asking for their independence. They said it was better to govern themselves poorly than to be ruled by someone else.

Same concept. I'm of the opinion that the country will be better off when the vast majority of people are of mixed ancestry. Then maybe, it's a stretch I know, just maybe we can get past the racial strife.
Sometimes the grownups know better. Are the Philippine people better off today or would they have been better off under the Spanish or Japanese? Don’t be naive.

vantexan

Well now, you think blacks are much better off free?
But to answer your question, yes I do. To be bound to one location, being talked to as if you are owned, whipped across the back if you don't jump to it, living in a shack with threadbare c!othes while the master lives in the big mansion, not being able to read or write, basically being kept like a mule for labor, having your children taken from you and sold to others, yeah, they are much better off today.