Juneteenth is now a federal holiday !!!

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
I think the Articles of Confederation were more about the states working loosely together and when that wasn't working well they came up with the Constitution. It is a federal system with the ultimate power resting in the central government on all powers enumerated in the Constitution. Those not enumerated belong to the States. Thus the States can have an emergency defense force but the real military belongs to the central government. The states can't issue money. The states don't control the perimeter borders of the country. There has to be a recognition of what belongs to the federal government, and thus all the people, and what belongs to a specific state. And be respected. You are a resident of the state you live in but a citizen of all the states. There's nothing wrong with a federal system as outlined in the Constitution. Just the abuse of power and willfully ignoring the Constitution. The border security issue is a prime example of that.
“I understand a proposed amendment to the Constitution—which amendment, however, I have not seen—has passed Congress, to the effect that the Federal Government shall never interfere with the domestic institutions of the States, including that of persons held to service ... holding such a provision to now be implied constitutional law, I have no objection to its being made express and irrevocable.”
"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so."- Lincoln, Inaugural Address 3/4/61

vantexan

“I understand a proposed amendment to the Constitution—which amendment, however, I have not seen—has passed Congress, to the effect that the Federal Government shall never interfere with the domestic institutions of the States, including that of persons held to service ... holding such a provision to now be implied constitutional law, I have no objection to its being made express and irrevocable.”
"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so."- Lincoln, Inaugural Address 3/4/61
Should we have slavery today? Remember also it was the Confederates who fired the first shots.

Box Ox

Should we have slavery today? Remember also it was the Confederates who fired the first shots.

I'm glad that my Confederate ancestors were defeated and could no longer own slaves.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Slavery would have taken care of itself. See how quick you are to focus on "what you've been told"the war was about? Surprising given your take on the covid shot.
The union forced the first shots that were fired. Read some real history. Not what the Lincoln lovers want you to know.
You can conduct a preemptive strike if you see the evidence that you are about to be invaded.
Attempting to resupply a fort was/is an act of war. That's really was the point. The purpose of the Powhatan expedition was to resupply Sumter and in in doing so maintain the federal presence in and domination of Charleston harbor.
Yeah, the South fired the first shot, but Davis was under pressure not to appear powerless in the face of a federal naval force. Lincoln put Davis in the dilemma of firing or appearing not to be the leader of a real nation.

vantexan

It’s the principle. I’d fight the same fight today. I won’t live on my knees.
As a Christian I'd have to ask if what I'm defending is the right thing to do in the sight of God. That's a question that would be hard to answer in the 1860's because it was so ingrained in the culture. But that the Union prevailed says to me that the right side won. There's a lot of what is considered Black culture today I don't care for. But they should be as free as anyone to live their lives. It's just a shame that a lot of good people had to die to get us out of slavery.