jury duty during my 30 day probation

tony480

starting my 30 days for driving monday! and of course i get a letter i have to attend jury duty in 2 weeks. will it cause me to get DQd if i have to go ? I'm sure missing days will be a problem during probation

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

starting my 30 days for driving monday! and of course i get a letter i have to attend jury duty in 2 weeks. will it cause me to get DQd if i have to go ? I'm sure missing days will be a problem during probation

You are worrying over nothing; in fact, if you are chosen to serve, it could be a welcome break for you, allowing you to mentally reset before coming back to finish your qualification.

Make sure to turn a copy of the letter in to your supervisor on Monday. You will then most likely be asked to call the night before your first scheduled day to serve to see if you need to show up or not. Chances are that the case that you may be asked to serve on will be settled out of court and your services will not be required.

DO NOT try to get out of serving.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You can postpone it to a later date or roll the dice and hope you become unneeded to attend.
Either way, bring it in and inform your supervisor on Monday.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Based on what?

There is a reason they put the clerk of courts number on the jury summons. Why do you insist on constantly being a D-Bag?

Just tell them you are changing jobs, have a vacation planned... whatever story you want to tell them. They are probably calling in over 200 potential jurors (they have every time I've served). I had to change dates the last time I was summoned and they didn't even ask for a reason, just how far into the future worked best for me.

9.5er

Show the letter to your Sup. If he says it will hurt your chances. (Which it shouldn't) then you can ask for a later date. IMO its better to go ahead and get this service out of the way.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
There is a reason they put the clerk of courts number on the jury summons. Why do you insist on constantly being a D-Bag?

Just tell them you are changing jobs, have a vacation planned... whatever story you want to tell them. They are probably calling in over 200 potential jurors (they have every time I've served). I had to change dates the last time I was summoned and they didn't even ask for a reason, just how far into the future worked best for me.
In our state, you can postpone it up to 10 months.
I agree you should participate in Jury Duty, you just don't have to do it on the date it shows.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The OP does not have a valid reason to "opt out" of jury duty and has a civic obligation to serve. He will be paid (by UPS) for his time away from work.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

You will not get DQd, but a 2 week break right in the middle of qualifying may not be so good.

Call the number on the letter and ask them if your dates could be changed. They will ask you why.

Just tell them the truth. You are changing jobs and have a 30 qualification period, and this jury duty falls right in the middle. Ask for a time after your 30 day period.

I think you will be surprised.

Just plead hardship and have the date changed.

Nope. Just tell the truth.

it could be a welcome break for you, allowing you to mentally reset before coming back to finish your qualification.

Really? He learns the methods, finally out there on his own trying to qualify, and bam, a 2 week break.

For you and me, no problem. Everything is second nature. For a trainee, just when he starts getting into a groove, he takes a 2 week break and forgets half the stuff he learned.

DO NOT try to get out of serving.

Agree. But no reason why it cannot be postponed until the next round.

You can postpone it to a later date

Correct. Most States, Counties and Municipalities will work with you and most likely postpone it.

Just tell them you are changing jobs, have a vacation planned... whatever story you want to tell them.

Again just tell them the truth.

IMO its better to go ahead and get this service out of the way.

Not during qualification. Easier to forget things after a 2 week break from qualifying.

I agree you should participate in Jury Duty

So do I, but no reason why they cannot postpone it until the next round.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The OP does not have a valid reason to "opt out" of jury duty and has a civic obligation to serve. He will be paid (by UPS) for his time away from work.
He has a CIVIC OBLIGATION to inform them that the date doesn't work and to be given another date in the near future.
You have a problem understanding that this is not "OPTING-OUT"