Just applied online and got an interview..

yo0123yo

I just recently graduated High School and I live in illinois so I applied for the package handler position at the Hodgkins, IL facility, and my interview is set for the 19th at 11AM, my question is, is this a 100% set interview and an interviewer is guaranteed to be there? The reason I ask is because Hodgkinds is a half hour away and I dont want to make the drive and not have an interviewer be there. I applied to Sears a while ago and scheduled an interview online but when I went there, I found out the interviewer was actually out of town. Anyone here actually apply online and schedule and interview? How did it go? Any tips for my interview? Also I read that it says to expect to be at the interview for at least 60 min. Why so long? Do they give the job on the spot or would I have to come back for a 2nd interview or something, keep in mind im applying only as a package handler. Thx guys

disneyworld

yo0123yo said:
I just recently graduated High School and I live in illinois so I applied for the package handler position at the Hodgkins, IL facility, and my interview is set for the 19th at 11AM, my question is, is this a 100% set interview and an interviewer is guaranteed to be there? The reason I ask is because Hodgkinds is a half hour away and I dont want to make the drive and not have an interviewer be there. I applied to Sears a while ago and scheduled an interview online but when I went there, I found out the interviewer was actually out of town. Anyone here actually apply online and schedule and interview? How did it go? Any tips for my interview? Also I read that it says to expect to be at the interview for at least 60 min. Why so long? Do they give the job on the spot or would I have to come back for a 2nd interview or something, keep in mind im applying only as a package handler. Thx guys
RUN THE OTHER WAY. It's not worth working at UPS p/t unless you want the benefits. By the time you pay your union fees and dues you take home next to nothing. GO POUR COFFEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yo0123yo

I heard a lot of people saying this is a great job for someone like me, 18 years old, just graduated high school and going to college in the fall to have, everyone says its good pay, how much would you say my check will be weekly working as a p/w package handler? Don't forget my other questions guys.. haha :thumbup1:

UPSn00b

boxchucker
$168 a week...before union dues (not sure what they are nowadays)

Interviewer will be there, they interview in groups, you'll be there with 2-6 other hopefuls.

2nd interview will happen if you're selected.

Tips for the interview...be honest!

But yeah, seriously, run the other way, if you have a 1/2 hour drive to the building you'll be working at, your paycheck is going to be little more than gas money...and maybe a soda.

yo0123yo

I also got a job interview at a Target which is about 10 minutes away from my house and they start you at 7.50 an hour, im still unsure if i should go to the UPS interview or the Target interview.

UPSn00b

boxchucker
Well, I say go to both interviews, but pay close attention to the 'tour' of UPS, (which is why the 1st interview takes so long) look at all of the people, working their butts off, pay close attention to the sweat, dangerous work conditions, the...smell...oh gosh, the smell. Don't forget to look at the dispair of most (not all, but most) of the worker's faces. UPS is definitely not for everyone, some people love it, some people hate it, but ultimately the decision is up to you. Being 18 its a good long term investment if you want to make a career out of it, but seriously, the people are prettier and smell nicer at Target!!

benschreivogel

What I would say is that at ups you would make less initially to Target Due to lack of hours but you will have FULL medical coverage and if someone your age took advantage of the retirement plan you would be way ahead of your average persons retirement savings in the future. If you don't really know what you want to do with your life, You at least would know that if you stayed with UPS eventually you would be making a decent living. If something better comes your way, take it and roll over any retirment you have accumulated.

B

BROWN OBSERVER

yo0123yo said:
I also got a job interview at a Target

If you do get the job at Target, tell them to turm down those dang two way radios...drives me nuts, espescially those who crank the volume way up...............Don't want to hear whos on break and whos doing what.

rngri4

BROWN OBSERVER said:
yo0123yo said:
I also got a job interview at a Target

If you do get the job at Target, tell them to turm down those dang two way radios...drives me nuts, espescially those who crank the volume way up...............Don't want to hear whos on break and whos doing what.

Wow, we have a few P/T Sups in our building that do the same, they feel important with a radio, I just sit in the office and laugh at them...I think one of their names is Gibby or something similiar...lol.

If you want to a job a that you might want to turn into a career take UPS. If you want some work to get through college then take Target. No disrespect to Target.