Kennedy assassination....50 years ago

bbsam

Staff member
Of course he would be a Democrat. Just how far different from his brother Teddy do you think he would have been?

texan

I remember the day well, even though I was young.

We were let out of school early, and a lot of older students were crying.

I was too young to completely understand.

When I came home my mother was crying.

In retrospect, the one item that I always admired, was his standing his ground
with the Cuban missile crisis.

He had leadership quality and credibility in his short term during a very troubling time
in this country.

I will not bring up the controversies, or negatives.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Of course he would be a Democrat. Just how far different from his brother Teddy do you think he would have been?

JFK was a life member of the NRA. His brother Teddy, on the other hand, was public enemy #1 for anyone who supported the 2nd Amendment as well as for any young women who were unfortunate enough to be a passenger in his car on a night that he had been drinking.

bbsam

Staff member
Had there been an unfortunate incident with a certain Marilyn Monroe in the White House, her body would never have been found.

bbsam

Staff member
Overall, I feel like there is a generational divide on JFK. Actually for the whole '60s. I think that's probably for the good. It's good to view leaders as the flawed beings that they are. Yeah, it gets ridiculous but we are a ridiculous people.

S

serenity now

Makes me feel really old remembering those days, but of course I am.
Nearing the finish line of moving into a different house; 10 years ago I could have cruised through this experience.
Not now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My plan is to relocate when I retire in 5 years but, as you said, moving is a young person's game. The one positive would be downsizing, getting rid of what I no longer need.

S

serenity now

My plan is to relocate when I retire in 5 years but, as you said, moving is a young person's game. The one positive would be downsizing, getting rid of what I no longer need.

Less is more / your move will be much easier than mine was

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Less is more / your move will be much easier than mine was

No doubt. Other than a few big pieces of furniture I should be able to move it all myself.

I am not quite so certain that I will be moving. Yes, I want to be closer to my daughter and son-in-law when they begin their family, but my mortgage on my condo will be paid off just before I retire so, really, my only expenses on the property will be the taxes and HOA fees. If I were to move I would most likely rent their townhouse as they will have moved in to a larger home. My rent would cover their mortgage which is probably two or three times more than what I would pay if I were to stay here. My son is uncertain as to where he wants to live but knows for sure that it is not here.

oldngray

nowhere special
I don't remember the Cuban Missile crisis but I do remember Kennedy's assassination. I was too young for school and was home alone with my mom and it was on TV all day. I wasn't old enough to really understand why my mom was so upset.