Ketter Audit

Jim Kemp

We were told yesterday that if we failed the ketter audit we would be terminated. What a load of BS.
I am to old to learn their little poems.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That is quite obviously a scare tactic that they cannot follow through on, unless you treat the audit as a joke, especially if interviewed by an auditor. The 10 pt commentary, lifting and lowering, and the other items that you will be asked to recite are not that hard to memorize or at least have a working knowledge of and a little effort on your part would go a long way toward ensuring your center passes the audit. All you can do is do your best to learn the material and present it in such a way as to show that you have a working knowledge of the material. If you treat it as a joke...

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
You have a better chance of being struck by lightning than being terminated for failing a ketter audit, the worst you might recieve is the tourment of watching the 5 star safety video over and over until you get it right and even then a sup will be right over your shoulder whispering the answers to cover his/her ass!:funny:

ezmoney5150

We were told yesterday that if we failed the ketter audit we would be terminated. What a load of BS.

Threats like that are a violation of Article 37 of the N.M. If this is true there should be a greivance filed.

That will stop that very quick.

Fnix

a good way to memorize the steps to most of the answers is not to remember them off the paper but just think of the way you lift an object for example. if you have to lift an imaginary box for the auditor to jog your memory and help you visualize.

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
a good way to memorize the steps to most of the answers is not to remember them off the paper but just think of the way you lift an object for example. if you have to lift an imaginary box for the auditor to jog your memory and help you visualize.
At my center there is nothing to imagine usually when the audit is taking place your working any way and they usually select who they audit by watching who is doing what WRONG!

tieguy

Banned
DTS trained have to memorize much more complex wording for these items word for word.

You guys are being asked to memorize something that is much easier to absorb.

why are you being asked to memorize it? Does knowing you should put your traffic side directional, check your traffic side flat and convex mirrors and looking over your traffic side shoulder to check your blind spot help you avoid accidents? Sure it does

Does knowing how to approach an intersection help you avoid a serious intersection accident? Sure it does

Does knowing and understanding the 8 keys to lifiting and lowering a package help you work safer. Sure does.

This is not going away. Knowing how to do these things safely can definitely help you. Why fight it?

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
Those good ole keys to lifting and lowering, we even had the company provide us with T-Shirts with the proper technique(pictures and all) funny how some people still can't get it right.

Griff

DTS trained have to memorize much more complex wording for these items word for word.

why are you being asked to memorize it? Does knowing you should put your traffic side directional, check your traffic side flat and convex mirrors and looking over your traffic side shoulder to check your blind spot help you avoid accidents? Sure it does

Does knowing how to approach an intersection help you avoid a serious intersection accident? Sure it does

Does knowing and understanding the 8 keys to lifiting and lowering a package help you work safer. Sure does.

This is not going away. Knowing how to do these things safely can definitely help you. Why fight it?

Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.

Hangingon

So someone who maybe has over 20 years safe driving, no lost time injuries will be fired for not being able to recite the 10 point commentary verbatim? They don't give credit for almost correct answers. In the last Ketter audit we had the drivers were failed for not knowing i.e. 'What is the fourth point on the 10 point commentary?' or recite all the rules of backing. I guess it's more important to be able to recite the rules then actually follow them.

upsgrunt

What was wrong with "All Good Kids Love Milk"? It went away

tieguy

Banned
Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.

perhaps you could elaborate. In fact put yourself into managements shoes and teach defensive driving to me.

How do I know a driver can safely clear an intersection if he can't explain it to me?

How do I know a sorter or driver can correctly lift a package using his leg muscles if he can't explain and demonstrate the process to me?

turn off the idiot supervisors comments who was stupid enough to threaten a discharge when he had no legs to stand on and focus on the actual training aspect of being able to recite this information. If you can't explain defensive driving and safe work methods then guess what you ain't doing it.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
I've been working safley since before the Ketter guys could spell UPS. Just because you can recite them all that does not mean you put it to use in your work. Safety is a state of mind you must have while you work, luck only lasts so long before it runs out. And yes I can recite all the little quotes they want.:peaceful:

LKLND3380

Knowing proper methods and safe work habits IS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT... Even the Union BA will tell you that...

If you are a good worker and management likes you... I doubt you will get fired over a Keter Audit... But if management is looking for that one thing to let you go, this could be it...

LKLND3380

At my center there is nothing to imagine usually when the audit is taking place your working any way and they usually select who they audit by watching who is doing what WRONG!

I have noticed they trget everyone on the safety commitee and new hires..

tieguy

Banned
I've been working safley since before the Ketter guys could spell UPS. Just because you can recite them all that does not mean you put it to use in your work. Safety is a state of mind you must have while you work, luck only lasts so long before it runs out. And yes I can recite all the little quotes they want.:peaceful:

I don't disagree but again back to my original point. If you can't explain defensive driving and safe work methods then you're definitely not doing it.

This issue should not be one of sups making idle threats or whether you think you don't have to learn it.

does knowing the material help you better understand how to work and drive safely. If it does then there should be no argument about you learning the information.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
perhaps you could elaborate. In fact put yourself into managements shoes and teach defensive driving to me.

How do I know a driver can safely clear an intersection if he can't explain it to me?

How do I know a sorter or driver can correctly lift a package using his leg muscles if he can't explain and demonstrate the process to me?

turn off the idiot supervisors comments who was stupid enough to threaten a discharge when he had no legs to stand on and focus on the actual training aspect of being able to recite this information. If you can't explain defensive driving and safe work methods then guess what you ain't doing it.
I thnk you know a driver can safely clear an intersection when he goes out every day and clears 100s of them, and brings it home safely. If you don't know if he's being safe you should be on the car with him. There is a HUGE difference between being safe and talking safe. Just because someone can recite all the lists doesn't automatically make them a safe driver. I think that is the problem here. Management has, once again, confused talking with doing:whiteflag:

supercool

We're told to learn these things on a daily basis, without any real justification given -- I'm sure it's for audits. The one most people seem to have trouble with is the five keys to preventing slips and falls. Since I hate answering these questions and try to get them answered as quickly as possible so I can be done with it, I just do it.

An acronym someone developed for slips & falls:

West LA:
W - Walk at a brisk pace, don't run
E - Establish firm footing
St - Stay off belts, rollers, conveyors
L - Look before you step
A - Adapt for changing conditions.

I know the technical definitions are longer, but they seem to accept these brief definitions.