Kiss 8 hours goodbye with 22.4's in the contract!

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Per the contract, the number of 8 hour requests granted per day is based on a percentage of full time drivers put out that day!

Decrease the number of full time drivers by adding 22.4's, I see any Center Manager who can not get the number of daily 8 hour requests down to 2 per day getting ripped!

Just trying to think like the company will think and act with these proposals! Next level :censored2: if you will!

HereWeGoAgain

Please post the wording in the contract that you have not seen yet. I think you are full of it again.
Guy has a valid point, Things like this the company will take full advantage of unless the language is spelled out in the contract. If for some reason these 22.4 jobs become a reality, which I believe they will just because the Union wants them so bad ( More Union Dues ). The Union better do there damn homework on the language, or all us FTSP are going to get screwed everyway possible where there is a loophole. Which 8 hour days could be targeted, Company is always two steps again of the union. ALWAYS

Indecisi0n

Company just tells the driver "sorry we couldn't grant the 8 hour request but if you want you can take the day"(even though they could). The company knows 99.9% of the drivers will take the day off instead.

When the driver should be demanding his 8 and if he goes over file. It's little things like this that drivers don't think about. They think about only that one day and not the future.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I didn't like the '82 contract where part-timers got screwed for a couple of decades at $8-8.50 to start. The Cover Driver (second class) position was a mistake too. Somebody working 50-60 hours a week is not a part-time worker that should be getting a part-time pension credit with four years of progression. Without seeing the details of this new agreement, I think Hybrid (third class position) Drivers should only work Saturday and Sunday. If the language to allow them to work Monday-Friday happens, Full-time driving positions will eventually go away with retirements. Will Hybrid Drivers get Feeder jobs too? And what exactly will be done with the current over-dispatching. I wanted to see time and a half after eight hours, double-time after nine, etc. Make it too expensive to cut routes. The devil is always in the fine print. The company will twist every single word they can. They need to take pay part-timers more and stop the constant turnover. These are my concerns, I have been through a lot of contracts over my career.

Last edited:

DOK

Per the contract, the number of 8 hour requests granted per day is based on a percentage of full time drivers put out that day!

Decrease the number of full time drivers by adding 22.4's, I see any Center Manager who can not get the number of daily 8 hour requests down to 2 per day getting ripped!

Just trying to think like the company will think and act with these proposals! Next level :censored2: if you will!

Might work just the opposite. They might give all FT drivers barely 8 hours everyday, load up the cheap 22.4’s. That’s the way I see it.

Benben

Might work just the opposite. They might give all FT drivers barely 8 hours everyday, load up the cheap 22.4’s. That’s the way I see it.

Just a question.....first 3 years have always been cheaper labor. Have you ever seen them make an effort to do this?

I'm just say'n!

Benben

Kill off 22.4s. Vote No!

Tell them to do the right thing and hire enough drivers!!

That's what it all boils down to! IF UPS WOULD JUST HIRE ENOUGH FULL TIME DRIVERS THE ENTIRE 22.4 THING, THE 9.5 THING AND THE SERVICE ISSUES BECOME A MOOT POINT!

Benben

If drivers (who wanted to) regularly got done at the 8.5 or 9 hour mark you would rarely see 15 names bumped on a 5 name 8 hour list! Something to think about.

specter208

Guy has a valid point, Things like this the company will take full advantage of unless the language is spelled out in the contract. If for some reason these 22.4 jobs become a reality, which I believe they will just because the Union wants them so bad ( More Union Dues ). The Union better do there damn homework on the language, or all us FTSP are going to get screwed everyway possible where there is a loophole. Which 8 hour days could be targeted, Company is always two steps again of the union. ALWAYS
If the Union wants more FT then why couldn't they make a proposal for more inside FT positions.

HereWeGoAgain

If the Union wants more FT then why couldn't they make a proposal for more inside FT positions.
Company has been trying to lower the cost for deliveries for years. Delivering one package to a residential is not as profitable as delivering bulk to businesses. Company dosent want anything to do with more 22.3 jobs, but ultimately replacing us top rate FTSP. UPS has the patience to weed us out and play the union and us for suckers. Screw them and there 4.15 dollar raise they can shove it.

DOK

Just a question.....first 3 years have always been cheaper labor. Have you ever seen them make an effort to do this?

I'm just say'n!

Good point. Another thing to think about is a 22.4 is going to cost the company pension contributions every month. So they might be willing a lot of them, who knows.

Good point. Another thing to think about is a 22.4 is going to cost the company pension contributions every month. So they might be willing a lot of them, who knows.
If you get rid of some of the part time jobs by making them full time, you will be paying benefits, vacation , holidays, sick days and option days to less people.