Know your safety or be disciplined?

Average at Best

:sad-little:I find many of these posts amazing. Safety methods come from all different sources --over long periods of time. Safety experts, doctors, physical therapists, unions, safety committees, and even from the drivers and loaders. Alot of effort,time,money go into the development and implementation of these methods. I often hear "The company cares nothing about safety -only profits" It sounds like alot of the prior postings care nothing about safety. I know that I will get loudmouth blowback from this post ---but when you are all alone --look into the mirror and ask yourself --" What is also part of the problem here ? That is when most people are truly honest. I believe your answer will include proper training --etc --but I truly believe you will also tell yourself that there are those who do not care. They are usually the vocal minority who feel that they speak for all the people. They don't listen or even attempt to learn safety or any other method. they know it all. Some of thes people seem to get injured many times a year -usally around the same months --hunting season, holidays etc. Bottom line if you were the owner of a business --- lets say a mowing service ---You train and train your employees of the safe methods of using the equipment---but the same employee who is always complaining --too much work, etc etc --He is the one constantly getting injured by not doing the job correctly. The person you see in the mirror will tell you the right answer ----I know that person will not tell you "dont worry its not in the contract" If you were the owner ----the person would work safely and follow methods or they would not be mowing for your company. A little common sense goes along way.

I agree and disagree. You are right in the regard that, a lot of times, the people that know it all are the ones that don't know their methods and get hurt. I've seen it happen in my own operation. The girl that is always the biggest complainer about the monthly safety survey is the one with five injuries in a seven-year career.

The part where I disagree is that, in my opinion, the company does not always seem to put safety first (as the slogan a few years ago suggested). If UPS wanted to make a statement about safety, they'd do so with meaningful actions, not threatening people for not knowing safety slogans verbatim. I can't speak for every district, but in my own, safety is second to production, always. In fact, our midnight shift has a policy of never turning off the unload belts, even if the sorters are backed up. And honestly, the management in our hub is a joke, safety-wise. The example they set by walking on moving belts, throwing packages, etc is horrible. You can't force an hourly to parrot the eight keys to lifting and lowering word for word while you've got a supervisor exiting the primary by sliding down the irreg chutes.

That's just my own opinion. If you are an hourly, you slow down and work steady and get yelled at for production. Or you could work fast and reckless and get yelled at for spraining your back. You can't win.

browniehound

I too, don't understand how the company can expect every driver to recite these methods verbatim. We havn't been promoted to a higher position like every person in management has. There is going to be a percentage of people that simply can't learn material because of a learning disabilty. Its this reason why they probably chose a career as as a driver instead of college.

I think the important thing is the driver actually practices these methods. I do believe they can be practiced without knowing them word for word.

That being said, the company wants me to know it cold, so I'm just going to know it. My goal is to know it just as well as my center manager. I look at it as a win-win situation for me. Most importantly it will protect me from an injury or accident, but it will also keep management off my back.

I just go over a couple of things each day with myself and try to maintain the material. Unless you have a legitimate mental disorder, its not very difficult to know the stuff.

xkingx

wait until one gets into an accident, your fault or not...conference calls turn nasty if you dont know it verbatim.

deezilfuelonly

I too, don't understand how the company can expect every driver to recite these methods verbatim. We havn't been promoted to a higher position like every person in management has. There is going to be a percentage of people that simply can't learn material because of a learning disabilty. Its this reason why they probably chose a career as as a driver instead of college.

I think the important thing is the driver actually practices these methods. I do believe they can be practiced without knowing them word for word.

That being said, the company wants me to know it cold, so I'm just going to know it. My goal is to know it just as well as my center manager. I look at it as a win-win situation for me. Most importantly it will protect me from an injury or accident, but it will also keep management off my back.

I just go over a couple of things each day with myself and try to maintain the material. Unless you have a legitimate mental disorder, its not very difficult to know the stuff.
Unfortunatley as those of us in the Brockton bldg found out recently, whether or not you know them word for word didn't make one bit of difference. It was just being used as a tool against certain drivers whose names appeared on some "list" Drivers who had 20 plus years of safe driving were being disciplined for not knowing the stuff word for word. Their actual safe driving and injury free work days meant nothing if you messed up on one word. This all was just a huge reality check for everyone. You and you alone are responsible for your own safety. How you preform the job day in and day out will determine whether or not magmnt leaves you alone.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
i love telling them I don't know my 8 keys or whatever the hell it is.

i get a warm fuzzy feeling inside of me. like the vodka i am drinking.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Because of my start time, I am never around for any PCM's.
When someone tells me that " you have to know them " b.s. I ignore them.
I'm one of those with learning problems, basically I don't care.
Lately because of the lack of other available air drivers, I normally do about 100 miles of driving, mostly urban, a day.
My last reported incident was over ten years ago, so in corporate's eyes I must be doing something very wrong.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I put the same amount of effort into memorizing the commentary...as UPS puts into improving its overcrowded facilities and upgrading its older package cars with 3-point seat belts and power steering. Talk is cheap.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Alot of effort,time,money go into the development and implementation of these methods. I often hear "The company cares nothing about safety -only profits" It sounds like alot of the prior postings care nothing about safety. I know that I will get loudmouth blowback from this post ---but when you are all alone --look into the mirror and ask yourself --" What is also part of the problem here ? That is when most people are truly honest. I believe your answer will include proper training --etc --but I truly believe you will also tell yourself that there are those who do not care. They are usually the vocal minority who feel that they speak for all the people. They don't listen or even attempt to learn safety or any other method. they know it all. Some of thes people seem to get injured many times a year -usally around the same months --hunting season, holidays etc.

I find your post interesting. For some parts, I could not agree more. For others, I find that you are assuming a lot of ideals that are just not true.

Yes, management cares about safety, because it is a huge money issue for them. A money issue that loses money for the center. So like in every endevour at UPS, follow the money.

Secondly, there are many posts that you choose to ignore that identify huge failures within the safety system. Failures that partially come because in many centers, safety which is touted to be job one, gets religated to job 2 or 3. It comes after dispatch, after preload, after air commits. It is not given a high priority by management. Like sups going down the belt getting people to sign the roster for the videos in December. why was that not completed at the time the video was watched?

The real answer is that many centers are only interested in compliance issues, not actually the drivers learning and using safe work methods. As long as the center is meeting its goals productions wise, and can pass the paperwork test, all is good. That is all they are interested in. What part of that dont you understand. I have seen too many times where safety meetings that were scheduled months in advance were cancelled by lack of proper planing by the management team, and those drivers were sent out on road, many in the blind because they were from other centers there only for the safety function.

Then there is the paid time issue. We cant have the driver work more than 9.5, so if we cut anywhere, the safety time will be where it is cut. Sorry, seen it happen too many times. and it is worse now.

And finally, the whole UPS/Teamsters safety program was created not to disipline drivers, but to mentor them. Teach them to practice safety. Not to mindlessly memorize a bunch of meaningless words that you can spout off when someone turns on the switch. That might be the way you learn, but the vast majority of workers dont learn that way.

So you (managment) have taken something that had a lot of potential to do good, and save the company tons of money, and turned it into a weapon against the drivers. And you wonder why some (not the majority maybe, but quite a few) have now developed and attitude? Wonder where that attitude came from? Could it be your condecending attitude?

Maybe management needs to spend some time in front of the mirror and practice some honesty themselves before casting the stone?

d

feeder53

ADKtrails
I have been asked a couple of time to quote some of the items in these posts , mostly in the office as I reported to work.........The posters with the safety blurbs are right in front of one as they come in. Every once in a while, they will ask me to sign on to the computer and take an electronic test and I passed them with 100%. I was told there was a steak dinner in it if I passed the next one with the same score......they have not asked me to take one from that point on.

rod

Retired 22 years
quote=cachsux;327502]Memorizing the words verbatim does`nt work for me so I have begun doing the safety methods in interpretive dance.[/quote]

:hawaii_girl::sword::goteam::karateboy::nonono::dance::water_happy::rofl::bigsmile2:

W

westsideworma

quote=cachsux;327502]Memorizing the words verbatim does`nt work for me so I have begun doing the safety methods in interpretive dance.

:dance: establish firm footing?
:sword: use existing equipment to assist?
:karateboy: = grasp opposite corners, get a firm grip?
:hawaii_girl: = scan work area, be aware of surroundings?
:water_happy:= make adjustments based on change in conditions?
:rofl: = you on the ground, what happens when you DON'T know your safety methods...:wink2:
:bigsmile2: = a happy manager getting kudos because you can repeat this stuff exactly as some paper pusher copied it
:goteam: a cheap trinket you may get for knowing said terms...maybe
:nonono: = an auditors face after telling them that knowing this is not a condition of employment

is that about right rod? haha ;-)

Fishbulb

my take on this whole safety 1st bullcrap is this: the drivers are getting hammered with more & more work everyday, peak season is now complete insanity & even the slow season is almost as heavy as peak due to center manager's cutting routes to save some cash. I dont know about your hubs but injuries in mine are happening left & right, some are the lazy slobs looking for an easy vacation but most because these guys are getting more work than they can handle & theres no help available because everyone is heavy & working til 8pm on a daily basis. The company is covering their asses with this safety compliance crap. This way if you get hurt on the job & they ask you to recite all the safety rhetoric & you dont know it verbatim... its your fault & not UPS's. They can basically say "we gave you the tools & information to work safely but you chose not to learn them therefore YOU are to blame".

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Island Fox

There was one more question I had about your post,

Safety methods come from all different sources --over long periods of time. Safety experts, doctors, physical therapists, unions, safety committees, and even from the drivers and loaders. Alot of effort,time,money go into the development and implementation of these methods.

Allrighty then, we have all sorts of professional people that have contributed to the safety issue at UPS. And personally, I think that has been money well spent, along with the effort and time.

Problem is I dont see teacher, instructor, professor etc in your listing of professionals. Might that be why you (UPS managers) have chosen the method of teaching that you have. The carrot and stick? But heavy on the stick? And how does that work for you in your life? Bet it works wonders with your kids and wife?

So whats the deal about warning letters, suspensions etc if you can not verbatim recite the information.

I had many drivers that knew the answers, but when put on the spot could not remember the answer. But they knew them and more importantly used them every day when delivering.

Like I said, using the stick will end up making the whole process not work. You want a rift in the UPS/Teamster safety agreement, keep on giving out warning letters. Then when this fails, you can then run to osha and pay the fines you owe.

d

upsdude

Problem is I dont see teacher, instructor, professor etc in your listing of professionals. Might that be why you (UPS managers) have chosen the method of teaching that you have. The carrot and stick? But heavy on the stick? And how does that work for you in your life? Bet it works wonders with your kids and wife?

Bingo!!

tieguy

Banned
I

And finally, the whole UPS/Teamsters safety program was created not to disipline drivers, but to mentor them. Teach them to practice safety. Not to mindlessly memorize a bunch of meaningless words that you can spout off when someone turns on the switch. That might be the way you learn, but the vast majority of workers dont learn that way.

When I stop in traffic I allow enough space between my front bumper and the rear bumper of the vehicle in front of me. Should that vehicle stall I would then be able to maneuver around it without having to back up in traffic.
why I do this - have an escape route

When starting up at an intersection I look left , right and then left again. I first look left and right to enure their are no motorist or pedestrians not obeying their traffic signs or signals. I then look to the left because that is the first lane of traffic my vehicle will enter. Prior to entering the intersection at my decision point , I check my traffic side mirror to ensure there are no motorists in the lane beside me that may turn in front of me. As I go through the intersection I check my non-traffic side mirror to ensure I have cleared all hazards.
why I do this- keeps me alive at intersections.

I count one, two , three when the car in front of me starts moving before I put my own vehicle in motion. This will automatically establish a space cushion and allow me to bring my eyes up to the driving scene ahead.
why I do this- keep me away from billboards.

I want to establish a following distance of four to six seconds when my speed is 29 or under and six to eight seconds when my speed is 30 miles an hour or more. To calculate my following distance I start counting when the rear of the vehicle in front of me passes a stationary object. one thousand and one, one thousand and two , one thousand and three until the front of my vehicle reaches that same stationary object. This is my following distance in seconds and allows me to adjust for changing conditions ahead.

the first four of the ten point commentary written from memory. Show me which words you find meaningless. Tell me why you think there is anyone in our company that can not memorize this information just like I did.