Know your safety or be disciplined?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tie honey, you get the drift of the safety message. You can apply it and therefore teach it to others in a way they can not only identify with, but then learn and use.

Repeating verbatim what is taught is not learning.

Kinda like the guy that could recite the bible word for word. But did he understand the words coming out of his mouth?

Furthermore, I heard you retired your stick many years ago.

d:wink2: BTW, my wife and daughter both back into parking spaces. Always, no exceptions. Now if I could borrow that bat for my son?

upsdude

When I stop in traffic I allow enough space between my front bumper and the rear bumper of the vehicle in front of me. Should that vehicle stall I would then be able to maneuver around it without having to back up in traffic.
why I do this - have an escape route

When starting up at an intersection I look left , right and then left again. I first look left and right to enure their are no motorist or pedestrians not obeying their traffic signs or signals. I then look to the left because that is the first lane of traffic my vehicle will enter. Prior to entering the intersection at my decision point , I check my traffic side mirror to ensure there are no motorists in the lane beside me that may turn in front of me. As I go through the intersection I check my non-traffic side mirror to ensure I have cleared all hazards.
why I do this- keeps me alive at intersections.

I count one, two , three when the car in front of me starts moving before I put my own vehicle in motion. This will automatically establish a space cushion and allow me to bring my eyes up to the driving scene ahead.
why I do this- keep me away from billboards.

I want to establish a following distance of four to six seconds when my speed is 29 or under and six to eight seconds when my speed is 30 miles an hour or more. To calculate my following distance I start counting when the rear of the vehicle in front of me passes a stationary object. one thousand and one, one thousand and two , one thousand and three until the front of my vehicle reaches that same stationary object. This is my following distance in seconds and allows me to adjust for changing conditions ahead.

the first four of the ten point commentary written from memory. Show me which words you find meaningless. Tell me why you think there is anyone in our company that can not memorize this information just like I did.

All that sounds good Tie, but you'd fail in my center. What you typed isn't the way they want to hear it. Like everything else at UPS it depends where you are and who you are.

BTW, I don't think anything you typed is meaningless, it just fails to fit in the box.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
the first four of the ten point commentary written from memory. Show me which words you find meaningless. Tell me why you think there is anyone in our company that can not memorize this information just like I did.
Since you did not write them EXACTLY, word-for word as they appear on the commentary...you would not have passed the test. It doesnt matter if you practice them....or understand them...or incorporate them successfully into your daily routine. The ONLY thing that matters to management...is blind, word-for-word rote memorization so that they can say we passed the audit. Perhaps UPS should just hire and train some parakeets to recite the commentary for the auditors instead....it would be a lot cheaper, it would make the auditors happy because they would get to listen to the buzzwords and acronyms that they want to hear, and the rest of us could just go out there and get the work done.

tieguy

Banned
All that sounds good Tie, but you'd fail in my center. What you typed isn't the way they want to hear it. Like everything else at UPS it depends where you are and who you are.

BTW, I don't think anything you typed is meaningless, it just fails to fit in the box.

take one and show me how they want to hear it? This commentary is straight from dts.

DS

Fenderbender
When I stop in traffic I allow enough space between my front bumper and the rear bumper of the vehicle in front of me. Should that vehicle stall I would then be able to maneuver around it without having to back up in traffic.
why I do this - have an escape route
Mine reads,when stopped in traffic,maintain one vehicle space between you and the vehicle in front of you
leave yourself an out
When starting up at an intersection I look left , right and then left again. I first look left and right to enure their are no motorist or pedestrians not obeying their traffic signs or signals. I then look to the left because that is the first lane of traffic my vehicle will enter. Prior to entering the intersection at my decision point , I check my traffic side mirror to ensure there are no motorists in the lane beside me that may turn in front of me. As I go through the intersection I check my non-traffic side mirror to ensure I have cleared all hazards.
why I do this- keeps me alive at intersections.
mine says remember an intersection is any travel path that could impede your travel path.
check well ahead before you clear the intersection
keep your eyes moving
I count one, two , three when the car in front of me starts moving before I put my own vehicle in motion. This will automatically establish a space cushion and allow me to bringmy eyes up to the driving scene ahead.
why I do this- keep me away from billboards.
count 1-2-3 after vehicle ahead has started to move,or when light changes to green
dont forget to check mirrors
some centers would discipline you tie, for not knowing it verbatim ...

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
some centers would discipline you tie, for not knowing it verbatim ...
And that is the point of the postings. Using a stick to teach verbatim what the driver actual knows in a practical way is just plain wrong, no matter what type of sugar coating you put on it.

And any management team member that is using disipline in this manner is in violation of not only the contract but also the spirit of the safety committee intentions. Take something that has real benefit to the company and employees and turn it into something personal against the drivers.

The union will not continue to allow this to happen and will shut down the way it is being run. Like so many other great ideas and programs that UPS has had in the past, they go by the wayside because of improper implimentation by some management idiots. Or in another term, managment goons.

d

tieguy

Banned
sounds like you guys are using something different. DTS trained instructors have it memorized the way I outlined.

So has anyone been disciplined for being off one or two words from your format?

Or are you being disciplined for not knowing all ten points?

tieguy

Banned
Tie honey, you get the drift of the safety message. You can apply it and therefore teach it to others in a way they can not only identify with, but then learn and use.

Repeating verbatim what is taught is not learning.

Kinda like the guy that could recite the bible word for word. But did he understand the words coming out of his mouth?

good point but you would have to agree that they would have to be able to explain the method completely in order to be able to apply it.

Furthermore, I heard you retired your stick many years ago.

who told you such a nasty rumor?

d:wink2: BTW, my wife and daughter both back into parking spaces. Always, no exceptions. Now if I could borrow that bat for my son?

It doesn't help I've broken some nice louisville sluggers on mine. :happy-very:

rod

Retired 22 years
It doesn't help I've broken some nice louisville sluggers on mine. :happy-very:

Don't give up on them. I swore I would see my son on Americas Most Wanted some day but he turned out to be a great young man with an outstanding work ethic. I know I put my parents through hell for a few years.:peaceful:

tieguy

Banned
Don't give up on them. I swore I would see my son on Americas Most Wanted some day but he turned out to be a great young man with an outstanding work ethic. I know I put my parents through hell for a few years.:peaceful:

yep. Mines a good kid. doing well. but man he is hard headed. Don't know where he gets it from. :happy-very:

island1fox

:happy2:I am happily enjoying my well earned retirement ---and while not a "regular" poster --do enjoy to visit the cafe once in a while. I think D.B. had a question about teachers in my previous post. Not to get way off topic --but everything you learn in life good or bad only comes from a teacher ?? Get real. I spent four years as a part- time UPS 'er --while attending college to attain a teaching degree --My older sister and brother were already school teachers. In my last year of college I also became a part time supervisor in the hub and realized that I was using my teaching skills daily. When I graduated and had my teachers certfication --rather than start teaching in P.S. 59 --UPS -recognized my efforts as a part-time supervisor and I was offered a full time job. My first fulltime job was a package driver ---I will forever be thankful to the on car supervisor who -- TAUGHT-- me how to deliver --p/u and del methods as well as S&V AND SWM. After working extremely hard as a driver in one of the toughest UPS districts -----I than became an on car supervisor ---again teaching, coaching, counseling, organization, communication and accountability skills paid huge dividends. Four years as on car supervisor in a tough crime area division where many drivers --rightly so --had to worry not just about their heavy loads --but also about their personal safety --many years as a center manager --years as a package division manager--than hub and air division manager ---Feeder division manager ---Operations manager and than a District manager. I worked for thirty six long years --many different states and many different countries. I have loved working with UPS people all over America and the world --will always be the memories of all those people that made my working career a pleasure. One thing I am sure of --UPS is not a perfect company --- We have great mgmt people and we have those that struggle --same with our hourly people. It is also a difficult company to work --very demanding no matter what job you do. What makes me comment to threads like this too many people -just complain rather that doe something about it . If poor training is a problem in you center or area --make it known to management ---local and district --corporate if nothing changes ---and your union. To lay back and complain --reaize this "When there is a probem ----You have an immediate decision to make ----Be part of the problem ---or do the hard part and be part of the solution. D.B. --a little bit more than I wanted to post ---- but drop the teacher crap --- all of us have teaching roles in life --not just the ones you had in school. P.S. Sorry for the long post !!!!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Not knocking your teaching skills. But you overlook one serious problem. Many people, when you ask them a direct question will freeze and not be able to respond to your "question on demand". Just like some people have a hard time spelling from memory, but If they can write it, they can spell it for you. Its a recall disability, not learning disability. And there in lies the problem. there are no exceptions for that type of situation, its only give the correct answer exactly as you were "taught" or the whole answer is wrong.

You can rant and rave about how good the teaching is at UPS, but the issue is not solved with just teaching them, is it?

BTW, glad you had uses for your teaching skills at UPS. Seriously. But unless the person can recall instantly what they have learned, then they fail your instant recall test.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Not knocking your teaching skills. But you overlook one serious problem. Many people, when you ask them a direct question will freeze and not be able to respond to your "question on demand". Just like some people have a hard time spelling from memory, but If they can write it, they can spell it for you. Its a recall disability, not learning disability. And there in lies the problem. there are no exceptions for that type of situation, its only give the correct answer exactly as you were "taught" or the whole answer is wrong.

You can rant and rave about how good the teaching is at UPS, but the issue is not solved with just teaching them, is it?

BTW, glad you had uses for your teaching skills at UPS. Seriously. But unless the person can recall instantly what they have learned, then they fail your instant recall test.

d

Thanks DB, I can remember all my space and vis but I can't do instant recall. I have to think about it. It's the same for me on rte delivering. I can't always remember my addys but I know exactly what house I am going to and quite often
I can tell you the cust. name, any pets, del likes or dislikes, and even where they work (on a rte that I know really well).