whenIgetthere

I'll finish it for you.
If notified by the end of ones shift.

There was a note on the time clock for the PM routes when I got in one day a couple of weeks ago, informing them to all punch in 30 minutes later. Asked my manager if those employees were notified beforehand, he said no. That is just plain wrong!

McFeely

Huge Member
There was a note on the time clock for the PM routes when I got in one day a couple of weeks ago, informing them to all punch in 30 minutes later. Asked my manager if those employees were notified beforehand, he said no. That is just plain wrong!

That's when you punch in at your normal time regardless and clean your truck :)

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
There are enough rookies who don't know better to make it worthwhile for management to do that.

McFeely

Huge Member
Yup. Every year a new batch of rookies that will punch in with the weather delays and just losing money. Some people at my station look at me like I'm crazy when I punch in at my scheduled time LOL.

...and that's why it's our job to educate the newbs!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Yup. Every year a new batch of rookies that will punch in with the weather delays and just losing money. Some people at my station look at me like I'm crazy when I punch in at my scheduled time LOL.

...and that's why it's our job to educate the newbs!
I actually had a manager call me on my cell as I was driving to work one morning, to tell me to start 30 minutes late. I laughed and told him he had mistaken me for a rookie.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
That's exactly why I never answer the phone when it's management. I don't open texts either.
I don't have a problem with them texting me for some things. That way I have proof of what I was told. But don't text or call my phone about a customer's pkg and DON'T include me in a group text.

OutOfTheKnow

Freight is plentiful and all the overtime you want. Been that way for as long as I can remember. No fulltimer works the minimum and partimers work as much as they want. We stay lean on people and overtime is never frowned upon. If you don't get enough M-friend, you can work any Saturday you want. Only half of our Saturday routes are covered by T-S people. About 15 more are covered by people on their 6th day. I don't work Saturdays but many people work nearly every one.
It isn't just me that they're pushing back 3 times a week, it's about 8-10 of us. It just started with me and I put up a fuss nearly every day, but ultimately I didn't fight it the right way, and eventually just came in for pups without ever responding to the text. Do this almost every time now. And Saturdays are not what they used to be. I used to work 60 hours/week, 8 of those hours on Saturday, and now the most senior guys only sometimes get 4 hours on a Saturday if they go in at all. We are ALSO fully staffed, but freight is also light. About 200/day under the norm, some days up to 1,000 under plan.

OutOfTheKnow

Even better, do the opposite!

Yup.

Also, anytime you're going to go nose-to-nose about an issue, make sure you have your ducks in a row. Then make sure again. The last thing you want to do is to dig in only to realize that you misinterpreted a policy, didn't have whatever info you needed, accidentally painted yourself into a corner, or something like that. Take your time and be thorough before you pull the trigger on an issue.
Thanks for the advice. I think I've got the policy pretty well figured out, I'm just making sure I don't have any screwups in other aspects of my job they can ding me for. I might have to trim the beard for one...

OutOfTheKnow

I don't have a problem with them texting me for some things. That way I have proof of what I was told. But don't text or call my phone about a customer's pkg and DON'T include me in a group text.
See man, it's such a game right? I've felt that way too, especially when they say, "just make it happen" regarding possible lates. At my station, that means scan it early. I don't do that anymore, if it's going to have even one late, I make sure I've given notice well in advance that I MAY have 3, and if I don't get help I'll bust butt to get em off on time but I won't falsify for anyone. But then, what these guys are talking about is very good reason to stop taking their texts and calls. They're messing with my money, and my life. I got cut the day after Thanksgiving and had a useless 4 day weekend.

OutOfTheKnow

Did you ever consider the quality of his work could be an issue? I know we have workers that it is almost easier to eat the lates than to take their offer to help. You give them 10 stops to save service and they still have lates and take 90 minutes to get them off. It might not be that way with him, but if purpleman is right, maybe they are giving his freight away for a good reason. If giving his freight to other routes cuts hours, maybe they are paying FT people the minimum and decided to give them more stops to work them the minimum. We rarely have a "lite" package situation at our station so we never have a shortage of stops. Hours are there for everyone and then some. It would suck getting your start time moved around but there also could be more to the story.
There isn't. Hours are being cut at every corner and I'm getting tired of being jerked around. For 4 years I've been a consistent "go-to" courier, running routes I didn't know, coming in early, staying late, making service and helping nearby routes make service, shuttling late freight. All the qualities that make a good courier, I've got every one of them, and I'm not a swing btw, though I am full time and this is the first year I've ever worked minimum hours.

OutOfTheKnow

Pal keep one thing in mind. You are an "at will" employee without the benefit of a binding union contract. You may have so called a company "policy" but it doesn't mean a thing and it's interpretation and application is based on whatever best serves the company's interests at that given moment.
That's the way I've always understood it, but there are old timers who seem to get treated fairly, but they are very good at not making mistakes and even better at keeping records of schedules and policy and such.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
There isn't. Hours are being cut at every corner and I'm getting tired of being jerked around. For 4 years I've been a consistent "go-to" courier, running routes I didn't know, coming in early, staying late, making service and helping nearby routes make service, shuttling late freight. All the qualities that make a good courier, I've got every one of them, and I'm not a swing btw, though I am full time and this is the first year I've ever worked minimum hours.
This too shall pass. It always does. Just make sure you're getting your weekly minimum every week.

And as far as all those things making you a good courier, they don't. They make you the go-to courier who gets tossed to the curb when they no longer need you. Do your job and do it well. All the extra stuff is for the birds, unless you're doing it to benefit YOU.

OutOfTheKnow

This is DAILY practice at my station, and everyone complies.

OutOfTheKnow

This too shall pass. It always does. Just make sure you're getting your weekly minimum every week.

And as far as all those things making you a good courier, they don't. They make you the go-to courier who gets tossed to the curb when they no longer need you. Do your job and do it well. All the extra stuff is for the birds, unless you're doing it to benefit YOU.
I suppose I knew that already.