Late air

Indecisi0n

When you guys are giving late NDA air (at meet point) do you break off your normal route to deliver that first or continue on like normal then deliver it at the end of day when you circle back?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Depends upon a number of factors. I go through the late air and prioritize it based on commercial/residential. I will then assess each one to see if it is something that they need right away or if it is something that can wait until I go back through in the afternoon. Yes, I know it is NDA, but we all have all delivered NDA just to come back in the afternoon and see it still sitting where we delivered it in the morning. Finally, and this is me being honest, I will decide whether to break off or not depending upon how well the customer treats me on a daily basis. Treat me like crap and you get no favors from me--treat me as a human being and I will bend over backwards for you.

My delivery area is fairly dense (much like the driver) so breaking off is not that big of a deal. Late air is late air---doesn't matter whether it is 1031 or 1631.

probellringer

what is its a check they need to cash ...or tix for a concert -or baseball game? how do you figure that out?..thats when 1031 0r 1631 make a difference..ive del tix to a ball game at 2030...guy said thanks ,,they were for tonight..and gave me a few bucks(his team was losing)

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
what is its a check they need to cash ...or tix for a concert -or baseball game? how do you figure that out?..thats when 1031 0r 1631 make a difference..ive del tix to a ball game at 2030...guy said thanks ,,they were for tonight..and gave me a few bucks(his team was losing)

I leave the indecision out of it....you bring me out late airs I run ALL in trace.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Depends upon a number of factors. I go through the late air and prioritize it based on commercial/residential. I will then assess each one to see if it is something that they need right away or if it is something that can wait until I go back through in the afternoon. Yes, I know it is NDA, but we all have all delivered NDA just to come back in the afternoon and see it still sitting where we delivered it in the morning. Finally, and this is me being honest, I will decide whether to break off or not depending upon how well the customer treats me on a daily basis. Treat me like crap and you get no favors from me--treat me as a human being and I will bend over backwards for you.

My delivery area is fairly dense (much like the driver) so breaking off is not that big of a deal. Late air is late air---doesn't matter whether it is 1031 or 1631.

What???
The customer, whether you like them or not, payed for a premium service and we as a company came up short.
Whether or not they get a refund is irrelevant.
You should absolutely break off immediately and deliver the package asap.
What gives you the right to validate its importance?
"Late air is late air"??? "It doesn't matter if it's 10:31 or 16:01"???
That's a screwed up way of looking at things.
You need to reevaluate your way of looking at this.

tourists24

I leave the indecision out of it....you bring me out late airs I run ALL in trace.
For the most part this is how I handle it.... 5 years ago maybe not but we are not paid to think anymore. Its just a job and as long as it makes it by the end of the day, then mission accomplished.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
...What gives you the right to validate its importance?

You need to reevaluate your way of looking at this.
When UPS starts caring about me as a person again, then maybe I will give a crap about the customers again. I am forced to work 10, 11, and even 12 hour days in 100+ degree weather, I don't get to spend any time with my family except on weekends, and all my employer cares about is pleasing their shareholders. When they bring late air to me, I "work as instructed" and deliver it in trace. Yes, sometimes completing the stop at 8:30 or 9pm.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
When UPS starts caring about me as a person again, then maybe I will give a crap about the customers again. I am forced to work 10, 11, and even 12 hour days in 100+ degree weather, I don't get to spend any time with my family except on weekends, and all my employer cares about is pleasing their shareholders. When they bring late air to me, I "work as instructed" and deliver it in trace. Yes, sometimes completing the stop at 8:30 or 9pm.

You probably wont have to worry about having any deliveries for that customer again.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We are told to run late air in trace these days. We had some come in late yesterday and it wasn't shuttled out until after 12:00. I just had three 10:30 commits and about a dozen Savers. I ran the commits first since they were close to where I had to break my trace. One of my customers runs a small business out of his basement and he was standing out in his driveway on the phone talking to the shipper. He was told that it would be the next day before he would get his package. He was very happy to see me at 12:30 since I wouldn't have made it back to his street until about 6:30-7 last night.

Johney

Unless instructed otherwise I will redeliver the area I have already done and put the rest in load.The problem is I'm usually at the end of the meet time so it's really late already.
I understand where Upstate is coming from. The customer who gives me a $50 at Christmas is going to get there crap long before the loser who tells me I suck and my company sucks because his NDA is delivered late. Should it be that way? No but I'd bet most of us feel that same feeling.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Look, I joined in this discussion with the understanding that it was MY choice as whether to break off or deliver in trace.
I maintain that late is bad enough, but to drive around with a premium package for hours after it being shuttled is just wrong.

That being said, if instructed to deliver in trace, by all means...

tourists24

Look, I joined in this discussion with the understanding that it was MY choice as whether to break off or deliver in trace.
I maintain that late is bad enough, but to drive around with a premium package for hours after it being shuttled is just wrong.

That being said, if instructed to deliver in trace, by all means...
Bubble, I understand where you are coming from. It just means you still care. I used to be that way but as each day goes by, I feel less and less this way. Things have gotten so anal the last several years (at least in my center) that all that matters are how you look on a report. Doing the right thing was getting some of our drivers in trouble for using their own judgement. I see it way too much from being a steward. After a while it may not make as much sense, but "work as instructed" or "by the methods" is the best way to CYA. So thats what the company gets.

slantnosechevy

Bubble, I understand where you are coming from. It just means you still care. I used to be that way but as each day goes by, I feel less and less this way. Things have gotten so anal the last several years (at least in my center) that all that matters are how you look on a report. Doing the right thing was getting some of our drivers in trouble for using their own judgement. I see it way too much from being a steward. After a while it may not make as much sense, but "work as instructed" or "by the methods" is the best way to CYA. So thats what the company gets.

I had this very discussion about late airs with a DM. He told me," you're still the driver". He's the same one who told me," when you're ahead use EED when you're behind use your head"

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I will always care and I will always try to do what is right.
Whether or not I'm a steward (do you think I am?), I know that whether instructed or not, I will never be taken to a panel hearing for breaking trace to deliver an air that was shuttled to me late.
A meaningless warning letter is of no consequence to me, as my protest letter will make it useless in any future procedings.
Outside of my supposed indignance causing an additional service failure, nothing will come of me doing the right thing aside from minimizing the damage of a deal gone wrong.
They will never make a brainless robot of this driver/?.

tourists24

awww. cmon Hoax.... dont try to stir this pot...lol..... I admire Bubble for how he feels. I wish I could still be like this but admittedly am not. He has a lot of sarcasm at times but I feel he is sincere here. When the reports become more important than common sense then we have a problem. And at least in this area it has gotten to that.

BrownArmy

We had a late air trailer the other day, and we were told meet points for late air would be at about 11:30 AM.

We were told to run the air we actually had in trace.

This makes no sense to me...some air is going to be late, so all air should be late?

I delivered all the reds I left the building with on time.

All we have is service.

(I know, I know, safety first, but if reds for the businesses I'm delivering to are on my truck when I leave the building, they're going to be delivered, no matter what the sups say).

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We had a late air trailer the other day, and we were told meet points for late air would be at about 11:30 AM.

We were told to run the air we actually had in trace.

This makes no sense to me...some air is going to be late, so all air should be late?

I delivered all the reds I left the building with on time.

All we have is service.

(I know, I know, safety first, but if reds for the businesses I'm delivering to are on my truck when I leave the building, they're going to be delivered, no matter what the sups say).

BA,

The air that has been late the past two days were not all supposed to be delivered late. The airs that came down and loaded early should be segregated and delivered first, the shuttled late stuff delivered last. That is how our centers handled Wednesday and yesterday, anyway. I'm kind of shocked that mgmt would be dishonest like that. * there was a slight amount of sarcasm there.