Latest Flavor of the Month: Send Agains

Overpaid Union Thug

The latest flavor of the month here has been send agains. This one seems to be a hot topic because management wants us to basically DR any package that doesn't require a signature now. And we are supposed to call the center if we have more than two. On Cars and CMs are getting reamed daily because most drivers are sticking to the methods and the ones that aren't still won't DR in certain areas so its friend**in up their numbers.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The latest flavor of the month here has been send agains. This one seems to be a hot topic because management wants us to basically DR any package that doesn't require a signature now. And we are supposed to call the center if we have more than two. On Cars and CMs are getting reamed daily because most drivers are sticking to the methods and the ones that aren't still won't DR in certain areas so its friend**in up their numbers.

STUG and UpState should enjoy this thread.

Nimnim

The Nim

Wanna take a bet to see how many posts before this thread gets locked? Either mysteriously or through the actual content?

I'm gonna say it'll get locked sometime in page 3, probably 4 posts in.

tourists24

I have a feeling I know how it will go though.... Stug will stick to the methods because that's the way it is supposed to be and preached.... Upstate will skew from the methods if it will make the day go smoother and if it makes sense to him..... sound about right?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is ideal to deliver the package on the first attempt but this is not always possible, especially if the driver is following proper driver release methods. It sounds as though the company is betting that the money saved by delivering every package, other than COD, 42 or A8, on the first attempt will more than offset the inevitable rise in claims.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We get fussed at occasionally if we have more than five send agains a day. What kills me is when they walk around wasting another sheet of paper asking why I didn't deliver that adult signature required Next Day Air...............because no adults were home and we can't indirect it!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The flavor around here right now is misroutes. Our sups spend pretty much the whole day shuttling packages between routes so we don't have any missed pieces. They used to only do this on perfect service Monday, but now it's every day.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
What kills me is when they walk around wasting another sheet of paper asking why I didn't deliver that adult signature required Next Day Air...............
Because inquiring minds want to know ... I have been waging my own little private war against this type of waste but that is inherent in my skeptical and cynical mindset.

The flavor around here right now is misroutes. Our sups spend pretty much the whole day shuttling packages between routes so we don't have any missed pieces. They used to only do this on perfect service Monday, but now it's every day.
Sups that shuttle packages are violating the contract and this should be grieved.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Good point but should the customer be held hostage if there are no hourlies available to perform this work?

Not having an hourly available is a convenient excuse for management to under staff the operation.
Misloads and shuttle stops are, and always will be, part of the equation.
Having an hourly in place for such occasions should be built into the plan.
When this fails to be the case, grieve it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will ask this question knowing full well what your answer will be--Would you rather a supervisor bring the work out to you or would you rather go back to the building for any missorts?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

You know thats automatic $60hr for you if you file on it right? Just got me another 1.5 hrs Wed!

grgrcr88

Good point but should the customer be held hostage if there are no hourlies available to perform this work?

I guarantee if they try they can find someone willing to come in a deliver those packages. All they care about is keeping the right number of routes on the street and stops per car where they want them. Make them follow the contract!!!

grgrcr88

I will ask this question knowing full well what your answer will be--Would you rather a supervisor bring the work out to you or would you rather go back to the building for any missorts?

I would rather the Sup bring it to me so I can file a grievance and get the money for FREE!!! I reurn to the building whenever instructed. The problem is the packages are usually not in the building, they are on the wrong car. Thats when I make good money. Heck the other day they sent a sup to take a package from me to the other Steward in our center!! He let me know what time the sup left and I filed. No argument from the Labor manager, paid 1.5hrs at $60hr and then proceded to rip the center managers a** for being so stupid!!!

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Well as far as proper DR methods, out here in San Fransisco Bay Area our new methods are to leave it. With Non-DR's we have been instructed to use the release number option, and as far as other questionable deliveries the same applies. I understand UPS's thought process on this, we make money on the first attempt break even on the second and lose on the third. So I do my part to make us money and leave the packages. At the end of the day I work as directed and lets be honest, these new methods make my day a lot easier as well. Most times when UPS changes our methods they have a negative impact on our day, but this has the opposite effect. So I say let the DR's begin.

grgrcr88

Back on topic, You all had better cover your butts when it comes to DR's. If they come up missing and are worth more than $100 you can bet the company will try to charge you for the replacement!! I don't care what they say about send agains, always follow the methods and be out of weather, out of sight! Always do your best to try to get every package delivered on the first attempt, this includes back doors, neighbors on either side or across the street, but do not fall into the trap of thinking that because the company would like to reduce paid send agains, that you will be off the hook for a lost DR!!!!

grgrcr88

Well as far as proper DR methods, out here in San Fransisco Bay Area our new methods are to leave it. With Non-DR's we have been instructed to use the release number option, and as far as other questionable deliveries the same applies. I understand UPS's thought process on this, we make money on the first attempt break even on the second and lose on the third. So I do my part to make us money and leave the packages. At the end of the day I work as directed and lets be honest, these new methods make my day a lot easier as well. Most times when UPS changes our methods they have a negative impact on our day, but this has the opposite effect. So I say let the DR's begin.

Cover your a**!!! Ask for something in writing stating that every package must be DR'ed on the first attempt, and that you will not be held responsible for any cost associated with their loss.

If they refuse, then I would use your best judgement and if it is a bad DR, don't do it!!

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
But remember we are not taught the triangle method anymore. Safe DR's using back door and side door and so on is a good point but if you start knocking on the three neighbor's they could say you are taking more time then needed and get for not working to methods there as well.