Layoffs start December 29th

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
Here we go again. Got the call today while I was out on the road... "Report to the pre-load Monday morning". That didn't take long. Last year I made it til March.... :whiteflag:

jeepgeek

yes you can draw the unemployment during the layoff, you do not have to take the preload job. atleast thats how it is here. but UPS will still try to tell you that you cant

redshift1

I believe a 22.3 or Cover Driver does not have the option of collecting unemployment and must return to their last position, it's tough to go back but if the volume does not exist then UPS has no other choice. Whoever says you can collect unemployment please state your source. If you were laid off completely then you could apply for unemployment benefits after 2 weeks. Next year will be especially difficult but at least most will be able to go back to part time with a continuation of benefits.

I'mTheMan

I have been layoff from Boeing Field in Seattle for 4 months now and UPS has forced me to work part time from 22.3 jobs and placed me back to hubs in part time. So I'm using partial unemployment benefits and plus, I'm still looking for another part time job so I can stop using unemployment benefits by then. The grievances is still in process so I can't say anything a this time till whatever my union give the update or news on it. It'll worth a long awhile till we know anything on it.

redshift1

What was your full time 22.3 job at UPS? and did someone else take your 22.3 job or was it eliminated. I'm in CA and have never heard of that.

New Englander

Can you take layoff and draw unemployment verses preload?

If your in progression and do not refuse work (both shifts) and are making considerably less at your part-time wage.

You can file unemployment for the loss in wages. If your unemployment benefits are high enough and your making a lot less. You can get some of that back via unemployment.

Now if they only "offer" work on one shift you can file for the loss of hours as well.

McLeod

yes you can draw the unemployment during the layoff, you do not have to take the preload job. atleast thats how it is here. but UPS will still try to tell you that you cant
You can take unemployment here, oh but they don't like it. I did off and on few years ago when I was near the bottom of the ladder of drivers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'd work atleast the preload if not both preload and local sort. If you just collect your going to loose your benifits.

I would think that the unemployment folks would deny benefits if they knew that the option to bump in to the inside was available at the same pay rate and with no loss of hours (if the option to work both the preload and the local sort were taken). Of course, if the lay off continues and the pay rate is reduced to the inside rate then I would think filing for the loss of pay would certainly be the right thing to do.

Yes, bumping in to the inside would displace one, possibly two employees, but that is part of the deal when working in a union shop. Those employees who are displaced would then be eligible to file for unemployment benefits or find work elsewhere until recalled.

Maybe it's just me but I would much rather work (if work is available) than accept a handout.

I'mTheMan

What was your full time 22.3 job at UPS? and did someone else take your 22.3 job or was it eliminated. I'm in CA and have never heard of that.

My full time was to work 22.3 at Boeing Field Airport in Seattle. On Night sort, I did pick off and load volumes into the container either on L9, A2, and A1 container. Work at 10 pm till 2 am then one hour lunch. Then 3 am to 7 am is to work at the ramp with Boeing 767's aircraft down load and upload and I also did set up work and everything to keep things busy. In that time, the volume was very heavy busy in both times. Since we do have a lot of businesses here in Seattle, thats why. Then on 2 weeks before Aug 1st, they layoff 2 weeks of part timers and they didn't know about it until as of Aug 1st, the lower 15 seniority got us and me layoff and forced back to part time to hubs from airport job. The airport part timers layoff were reported to work and took over our jobs. Then a month later, the top 16 seniority were also layoff and closed the night sort. Right now a lot of airport part timers are very angry with situations that been heard of 22.3 layoffs. This is what happens when heavy 2 day and 3 day volume were sorted to the hubs instead of the airport. Got to tell you that company of managements and division manager at the airport made the decision to close it to save money without a 45 days notice so right now as we speak, the union is till working on resolution on this because it is union decisions to place those jobs but panel is still being discussed right now as till January to see what can be done to solve it but I don't think it'll work because with drivers layoff and feeder drivers layoff, we still have "bumping seniority" issues still being going on right now and it's still a big headache right now. I think the union is well aware that we can't bump other 22.3 full timers who already taken job in hubs as we speak so this is going to be a huge fight discussion on this as we speak right now. The union took UPS to center level hearing in September in first week, as company said we were layoff due to volume but at the center level meeting, then, company just told the union that all 31 22.3 jobs are eliminated. The management never told us during the meeting when we got layoff instead of eliminated it. That is what we got upset even more and the more management would continue to lie about it on our jobs,etc. Right now this all things been happening is all unforgiving at the company right now and we as today, are still angered to the company for that they did to us.