Learning stuff the hard way

wannabeups

I always seems to have to learn stuff the hard way.

This week was on a sleeper team. It took me over 10 hours to travel 250 miles (average of less than 20 m.p.h.)

About an hour into the trip I pulled into a rest area to clean off my windshield, it icing up big time. When I got into rest area. It got stuck trying to go up a little incline. I tried rocking it loose, but no luck. I then got out a set of chains but one on the outer rear drive axle on each side of tractor. Got myself up the hill and on level ground. I didnt have the chain secure on my right side so it came off as I was going up the hill. I walked back down the hill to retrieve it and noticed I had lost the bag the chains came in.

Got myself, tractor and set of doubles back on freeway, traffic came to a stand still 3 times due to accidents. You are driving soo slow, your hands are becoming white and numb from squeezing on the steering wheel, you butt-hole is puckering up so tight you have a suction to the seat.

Not only do you have all extra stress and safety hazards, but you are not making much money at all. Figure, you are on a team run going 20 m.p.h. you only get 10 of those miles since it is split. At top scale you are still make LESS THAN $7 per hour.

I called and let my supervisor know that I lost the bag the chains came in. I had it sitting on running board of tractor near as I can figure the wind took it into woods. Thank goodness I ain't gonna have to pay for it. Said they can find something to put the chains in.

After I have been through all this crap. I am told I could have pulled over to let the roads clear, went into delay and gotten paid my hourly rate which is ALOT MORE than I made for driving. Also found out I could have gotten a tow truck to pull me up the hill.

At what age does a person quit learning stuff the hard way?

trickpony1

Sometimes life gives the test first and the lesson later.

Know and think through all your options. When in doubt, do nothing.

I understand your eagerness to do good but the complexion of any situation involving this company is compounded by the fickle nature of management.

tieguy

Banned
I always seems to have to learn stuff the hard way.

This week was on a sleeper team. It took me over 10 hours to travel 250 miles (average of less than 20 m.p.h.)

About an hour into the trip I pulled into a rest area to clean off my windshield, it icing up big time. When I got into rest area. It got stuck trying to go up a little incline. I tried rocking it loose, but no luck. I then got out a set of chains but one on the outer rear drive axle on each side of tractor. Got myself up the hill and on level ground. I didnt have the chain secure on my right side so it came off as I was going up the hill. I walked back down the hill to retrieve it and noticed I had lost the bag the chains came in.

Got myself, tractor and set of doubles back on freeway, traffic came to a stand still 3 times due to accidents. You are driving soo slow, your hands are becoming white and numb from squeezing on the steering wheel, you butt-hole is puckering up so tight you have a suction to the seat.

Not only do you have all extra stress and safety hazards, but you are not making much money at all. Figure, you are on a team run going 20 m.p.h. you only get 10 of those miles since it is split. At top scale you are still make LESS THAN $7 per hour.

I called and let my supervisor know that I lost the bag the chains came in. I had it sitting on running board of tractor near as I can figure the wind took it into woods. Thank goodness I ain't gonna have to pay for it. Said they can find something to put the chains in.

After I have been through all this crap. I am told I could have pulled over to let the roads clear, went into delay and gotten paid my hourly rate which is ALOT MORE than I made for driving. Also found out I could have gotten a tow truck to pull me up the hill.

At what age does a person quit learning stuff the hard way?

You went through a baptisim of sorts here. You are much smarter today then you were yesterday. While you have more to learn tommorrow this experience will stay etched in your mind forever.