Left on an emergency today supervisor got mad

Drbrown78

Hello I'm a cover driver and had to leave on an emergency call. I finished delivering my air and called the center and told them of my situation and they told me to drive back in. when I made it Into the hub my supervisor stopped me and was really upset and threatened to return me back to my twilight shift as a loader. I've been having personal issues and i let them know ahead of time. Today was different because I got the call when I was already working and had to leave. Can management punish me for going home or am I in the clear since they let me leave without me calling in?

ManInBrown

I wouldn't make a habit of it, but you handled it correctly. Not really much they can do. We've had drivers come back to the building mid-day and walk out because of a family emergency, without saying a word to anyone. They're still employed.

Drbrown78

I wouldn't make a habit of it, but you handled it correctly. Not really much they can do. We've had drivers come back to the building mid-day and walk out because of a family emergency, without saying a word to anyone. They're still employed.

I've only been cover driving a year so I still get spooked when management gets mad at me or gives me little backhanded comments. but I know I'm union so I know I have some sort of protection.

over9five

Staff member
Not recommended. If nothing else, it was unprofessional in the extreme.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Hello I'm a cover driver and had to leave on an emergency call. I finished delivering my air and called the center and told them of my situation and they told me to drive back in. when I made it Into the hub my supervisor stopped me and was really upset and threatened to return me back to my twilight shift as a loader. I've been having personal issues and i let them know ahead of time. Today was different because I got the call when I was already working and had to leave. Can management punish me for going home or am I in the clear since they let me leave without me calling in?

I mean how many emergencies can one have?

I've had one in more than a decade and even then I would of finished the day had I needed to.

Drbrown78

I mean how many emergencies can one have?

I've had one in more than a decade and even then I would of finished the day had I needed to.

I've been having a rough couple weeks and have let management know but whenever I bring anything up they get mad or start saying that I'm unreliable and start making threatening comments about my job.

over9five

Staff member
With FMLA, you can take days off, half days, whatever, and they cannot discipline you for it. You have to find someone who's very knowledgeable on this first. (That would not be me!)

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
FMLA will need a doctor to sign off on. Dentist, Psychologist etc. Whatever the issue is, if there's a doctor involved with you, your spouse, child or dependent parent, you would likely qualify.

If you go that way, it doesn't count against your absenteeism, but it can be deducted from your vacay.

Check into it by requesting an FMLA application from your supervisor or HR.

542thruNthru

You said you been a cover driver for a year. Do you have anyone below you? If so always remember they have to send them back before they can send you.

If it's a emergency then ignore the upset supervisor. Definitely look into FMLA. I do hope it's a real emergency and not some lame crap like a bad break up or mom needs a ride to work.

LeadBelly

Banned
It's called dropping your load. I've had to do it before. The last time was long ago. My wife was at the doctor with our daughter when she was two and a half. The nurse said that she thought our daughter was autistic. My was freaked out and called me. I had to drop my load and make sure she was going to be okay. It turned out out daughter was fine and she was just quiet. She's smarter than I ever was or will be. It was a bogus diagnosis.

The point being you have to do what you have to do. I wouldn't make a habit of dropping your load but sometimes things happen and ups can handle it. There isn't one of us that ups can't get through the day without but our loved ones need us.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's called dropping your load. I've had to do it before. The last time was long ago. My wife was at the doctor with our daughter when she was two and a half. The nurse said that she thought our daughter was autistic. My was freaked out and called me. I had to drop my load and make sure she was going to be okay. It turned out out daughter was fine and she was just quiet. She's smarter than I ever was or will be. It was a bogus diagnosis.

The point being you have to do what you have to do. I wouldn't make a habit of dropping your load but sometimes things happen and ups can handle it. There isn't one of us that ups can't get through the day without but our loved ones need us.

Rather than overact and create a potential service disruption, it would have been more prudent to seek a second opinion.