Let’s be serious for a sec

Dollar Chasing

I agree we work hard but the public wants free 2 day shipping and a product at the lowest cost.they could care less who delivers it as long as it gets there in one piece.we used to be the only game in town but no more.Sure post is a good example. It's a filler for our trailer loads. UPS makes some money maybe not a lot but it's packages we may not have if not for sure post.
And nobody is really mentioning how we are changing surepost to benefit us and get more stops. I used to deliver 100+ packages every day to this post office, and I would see 15-20 packages every day for streets that I had stops on that day. Those packages will now be coming to us. Small, easy stops. Also, why can’t the company do well? It seems like every person with a complaint about the contract doesn’t want the company to do well. Yeah the 22.4s will help the company save money. It that a bad thing when we are competing with everyone else? And speaking of that, full-on weekend delivery is a huge experiment for the company, and shouldn’t we be hoping it succeeds for the future of the company? If the company doesn’t do well, we don’t have somewhere to work. The relationship should be symbiotic, and it seems like these people think it’s an actual battle.

Box Ox

Also, why can’t the company do well? It seems like every person with a complaint about the contract doesn’t want the company to do well.

UPS made $4.9 billion in net profit last year on the backs of employees who work harder and longer than those of any other delivery company. UPS is competing just fine.

siouxman

siouxman
UPS made $4.9 billion in net profit last year on the backs of employees who work harder and longer than those of any other delivery company. UPS is competing just fine.
In my opinion in the next decade UPS will not be the largest package delivery service in the world. Fed ex already has a bigger foot print around the globe.Fed ex has newer facilities which was UPS es competive advantage.Our facilities are 2 to 5 years behind the competion and we are spending billions trying to catch up.they pay the workers less especially the ground folks.

Box Ox

In my opinion in the next decade UPS will not be the largest package delivery service in the world. Fed ex already has a bigger foot print around the globe.Fed ex has newer facilities which was UPS es competive advantage.Our facilities are 2 to 5 years behind the competion and we are spending billions trying to catch up.they pay the workers less especially the ground folks.

Ever seen the inside of a FedEx truck at 11am? There’s a good reason their drivers are paid less.

And the billions on facilities are being spent now so the Company can play the poor card during Contract negotiations. If that weren’t the case, the Company would have actually built 2-5 years ago when labor costs were lower and interest rates less.

reginald95

Well they’re not gonna be around for long if they’re made to fulfill their roles as intended. Completely disposable and underpaid underclass of driver to which every stop possible is shifted to them to take stops off RPCDs.

There will be resentment from both sides toward the other because of this, and the Company will never again respect the Union. If the Union can get walked all over in this economy, there’s not much hope for it in any economy.

Make sure you’re OK with everything you’d be voting yes to.

BYvUwAQ.jpg

Stop crying wolf. Part time cover drivers are essentially hybrid drivers at the moment. They don’t have the same protections as regular drivers and no pension or center seniority at a lower pay rate. No drivers are resenting those guys for doing our job.

There is plenty of work to go around.

Box Ox

Stop crying wolf. Part time cover drivers are essentially hybrid drivers at the moment. They don’t have the same protections as regular drivers and no pension or center seniority at a lower pay rate. No drivers are resenting those guys for doing our job.

There is plenty of work to go around.

Part time covers are not equivalent to hybrids. They’re often given manageable days and they don’t do the job daily year round. So they don’t really need protections.

And they do get PT pensions and insurance where I am.

Source: Was one for several years.

reginald95

Part time covers are not equivalent to hybrids. They’re often given manageable days and they don’t do the job daily year round. So they don’t really need protections.

Depends in your region. I was a part time cover driver year round for 4 years before I went full time. I was never sent back to preload except the first year. We do get a pension the part time pension but not the full time pension the drivers have.

Box Ox

Depends in your region. I was a part time cover driver year round for 4 years before I went full time. I was never sent back to preload except the first year. We do get a pension the part time pension but not the full time pension the drivers have.

Plenty of 22.4s will wish they could go back to preload and get that PT pension when they realize they’ve signed up to be meat pieces that will have every stop possible thrown at them to keep them off RPCD routes.

And that’s not fearmongering. It’s exacty why they won’t have any overtime protections. And why RPCDs will only have a 40 hour guarantee “if work is available”.

siouxman

siouxman
Ever seen the inside of a FedEx truck at 11am? There’s a good reason their drivers are paid less.

And the billions on facilities are being spent now so the Company can play the poor card during Contract negotiations. If that weren’t the case, the Company would have actually built 2-5 years ago when labor costs were lower and interest rates less.
Ups always plays the poor card innegotiations We have run of room in our center and are currently renting another building a parking lot. We have had some poor leader ship the past 5 years and are paying for it now.look at what ups per package and it has been falling the last few years.The fed ex ground guys are contractors and do make less no benefits etc.tuff competitor

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Ups always plays the poor card innegotiations We have run of room in our center and are currently renting another building a parking lot. We have had some poor leader ship the past 5 years and are paying for it now.look at what ups per package and it has been falling the last few years.The fed ex ground guys are contractors and do make less no benefits etc.tuff competitor

Put the peace pipe down, the incoherence is hurting my head!

Plenty of 22.4s will wish they could go back to preload and get that PT pension when they realize they’ve signed up to be meat pieces that will have every stop possible thrown at them to keep them off RPCD routes.

And that’s not fearmongering. It’s exacty why they won’t have any overtime protections. And why RPCDs will only have a 40 hour guarantee “if work is available”.
Start a 22.4 job now @22 years old and retire @ 51 with a 90K+ pension.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Start a 22.4 job now @22 years old and retire @ 51 with a 90K+ pension.
OMFG! OK lets assume that shall we? Whats this driver looking at?

1. First knee surgery at 31.
2. First lower back surgery at 36 (partial discetomy.)
3. Second Knee surgery (other knee) at 38.
3. Lower back fusion (2 segments) at 40.
4. New knee at 41!
5. Carpal Tunnel surgery at 42.
6. Ankle and heal surgery at 44.
7. Second new knee at 46.
8. Ankle fusion at 48, (this is the killer, the writing is on the wall, you don't ever recover 100% from this)
9. Next 2 years the driver is out more than he works from shoulder, elbow and back problems the doctor can not fix with surgery! Just plain "worn out."
10. Retires at 51 unable to walk more than a mile at a time. Self medicates to get though the day in his Lazy Boy and dies of a combination of heart disease, Liver failure and pancreatic cancer at 53.

11. But hey UPS isn't to blame, his wife gets to know Turdferguson on a personal level!

WTFm8

How long ago were you PT Cover? 3 of my last 8 weeks were 58 hours... mid March through mid June was 50-55hr weeks. Not complaining financially, I'm hired from the street 9.5 months ago. Other times since start of year till now have been 18 (unload)-35 hours (drive 1 during week and Saturday air/pickups).

OMFG! OK lets assume that shall we? Whats this driver looking at?

1. First knee surgery at 31.
2. First lower back surgery at 36 (partial discetomy.)
3. Second Knee surgery (other knee) at 38.
3. Lower back fusion (2 segments) at 40.
4. New knee at 41!
5. Carpal Tunnel surgery at 42.
6. Ankle and heal surgery at 44.
7. Second new knee at 46.
8. Ankle fusion at 48, (this is the killer, the writing is on the wall, you don't ever recover 100% from this)
9. Next 2 years the driver is out more than he works from shoulder, elbow and back problems the doctor can not fix with surgery! Just plain "worn out."
10. Retires at 51 unable to walk more than a mile at a time. Self medicates to get though the day in his Lazy Boy and dies of a combination of heart disease, Liver failure and pancreatic cancer at 53.

11. But hey UPS isn't to blame, his wife gets to know Turdferguson on a personal level!
What a bunch of bs.

The Real Jack RyanMI6

so I finally had a chance to look over the southern supplement. I’m a company hater, trust me. Honestly, this contract proposal is imho decent. We still have Black Friday paid at holiday rate, now I can file if I get pulled of route for 2hr penalty which was a big issue for me. Besides 22.4, this contact proposal seems decent.

Pension is enh, but honestly we make enough that we should not be idiots and cry when we’re still working at 57 due to bad financial decisions.

I’m still on the fence due to the 22.4 language. I’m trying to talk to the newer guys about how they feel... I also think they should be able to do better with our raises... but U guys act like this contract is horrible. It’s not though.

The 70 hour work week.... if your not a pusillanimous it’s As simple as calling In every sat during peak and taking your self out of service due to “fatigue”.

There is already lots of ways to protect your self but you, as a person need to stick up for your self. Everybody cries about the long hours but is scared to get on the 9-5 list. Everybody cries about harassment but won’t file. Keep a detailed paper trail and your good

Like I said, I’m gonna try to talk to the new drivers more about 22.4 and see how I vote, but it’s not the end of the world proposal wise.

Some of these new guys are for the 22.4 language for their own reasons. They are teamsters and we need to respect their opinion. After talking to them, I tell them to just vote
Teamsters in heated talks with UPS over new contract
By John Schulz · February 12, 2018

In a statement, UPS emphasized it is seeking “flexibility”(Flexibility = 22.4)to remain competitive in the rapidly changed e-commerce and small package landscape...

One of the union’s initial demands was firm language against use of drones for deliveries. But somewhat mysteriously...the union’s Package Division watered down that contract proposal to prevent job elimination due to technology.

The company also wants flexibility to allow management to designate up to 20 percent of the routes in each center as a residential route. Drivers on residential routes would be paid at a lower rate than regular parcel delivery personnel.

UPS also wants to implement Sunday delivery work with the option of using part-time drivers to deliver ground and be required to use their own vehicles.

SO LET'S BE SERIOUS FOR A SEC...
1. February 12 2018
2. UPS Wants Drones Check.
3. UPS Wants 20% Lower Rate Drivers Check. Oh Sorry They Got 25%, Or 25+% if They can demonstrate NEED???
4. UPS Wants Sunday Delivery Check. 22.4 Tuesday Thru Saturday AND Wednesday Thru Sunday.

Soooo Let's Be Real Serious And Crystal Clear Who The HE## Wrote The Contract You Are Voting Yes On???

Teamsters in heated talks with UPS over new contract
John D. Schulz
Trucking Industry Expert - Contributing Editor - Logistics Management Magazine
Experience
  • Contributing Editor
    Logistics Management Magazine
    2005 – Present (13 years)Washington D.C. Metro Area
    I am contributing editor responsible for daily contributions and in-depth features and analysis on surface transportation news, trends and insight. My specific area of expertise is the $700 billion trucking industry. Thanks to more than 30 years experience, I am on a first-name basis with scores of top industry officials and thought leaders in the trucking industry. I enjoy a national reputation as a thoughtful journalist who can be counted upon to accurately reflect these officials' views both in print and in online stories.

• Consultant-Council Member
  • Gerson Lehrman Group
    2004 – Present (14 years)Worldwide
    As one of the leading council members for the worldwide consulting Gerson Lehrman Group, I have consulted with scores of hedge funds, financial managers, individual and corporate investors about the trucking and transportation industries. I provide condensed, easy-to-understand answers to complex transportation questions regarding all aspects of the trucking industry. At GLG, I achieved "Leader" status in the first year, connoting that I am among the Top 5 percent of consultants in its stable. I current continue to enjoy "Leader" status.

Doubleparkedrunner

I agree we work hard but the public wants free 2 day shipping and a product at the lowest cost.they could care less who delivers it as long as it gets there in one piece.we used to be the only game in town but no more.Sure post is a good example. It's a filler for our trailer loads. UPS makes some money maybe not a lot but it's packages we may not have if not for sure post.

forgive me; I must have missed the part where UPS isn't making money anymore.

I fail to see why they would have a hard time hiring and paying more RPCDs if they had more volume to deliver as this extra volume thus far has only translated into more profit.

I would think they would just end up making more money.

I also thinks this brings up another important point that gets lost on the bean counters: UPS used to be known for its exceptional service. Customers paid a premium for the better service and they actually still do, believe it or not but I think that pool is shrinking as we get more and more away from good service and closer and closer to a sweatshop only concerned with cost cutting measures.

F

Frankie's Friend

And nobody is really mentioning how we are changing surepost to benefit us and get more stops. I used to deliver 100+ packages every day to this post office, and I would see 15-20 packages every day for streets that I had stops on that day. Those packages will now be coming to us. Small, easy stops. Also, why can’t the company do well? It seems like every person with a complaint about the contract doesn’t want the company to do well. Yeah the 22.4s will help the company save money. It that a bad thing when we are competing with everyone else? And speaking of that, full-on weekend delivery is a huge experiment for the company, and shouldn’t we be hoping it succeeds for the future of the company? If the company doesn’t do well, we don’t have somewhere to work. The relationship should be symbiotic, and it seems like these people think it’s an actual battle.
When I see the company moving proximity stops to ups drivers for final mile delivery and when they honor the rest of the surepost language that's been in the cba for years then I'll say you're right.

Until then I'll say you're out of the loop.

They break the contract all the time and for your information...

It is a battle. A battle to make them adhere to the things they promised to do and abide by in the contract they signed.

Wake up to reality.