Let the OJS begin (and other nonsense)

UPSGUY72

They haven't been replacing retirees. And the union has been letting them get away with it.

That has been going on in my area. Since we are working under the old contract there better not be any casual working tomorrow or I'm saying something to my Steward that since they are working after the 31 they must be FT drivers now.

Under the new contract casual can work till the 15 of January. Under the old it Dec 31.

UPSGUY72

Peak is over, let the fun begin. OJS, telemetrics, production numbers, and general managerial snafu's are in store for the New Year, not to mention the huge stink-hole that is ORION.

It is what it is. I don't give a crap one one or the other in on ear out the other and just do my job the way I was taught.

As you know they are always talking to the same people day in and day out. These are the people that like to paint a bull eyes on there back every year and are always wondering why they are getting picked on.

QKRSTKR

I don't think they are required to replace retirees. Not that I give to flips but I love how its always the unions fault. YOU ARE THE UNION.

oldngray

nowhere special
If its a permanent full time position and that person retires, then they are supposed to be replaced. You should care because most of those new full timers would come from part time ranks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If its a permanent full time position and that person retires, then they are supposed to be replaced. You should care because most of those new full timers would come from part time ranks.

We had 2 drivers (one feeder/one package) retire the 1st of November. We also have a package driver going in to feeders. Word is they are going to wait for him to go and then bid all 3 routes at the same time.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That must be local language. It's nowhere in the national.

oldngray

nowhere special
They WILL try to cut routes if they can get away with it, then later add seasonal/cover drivers to deliver the same areas.

Brownslave688

Its a case of the routes are supposed to be bid and that creates more job openings.
They must bid the route yes (if they don't eliminate it). However if the remaining routes can be covered by working more hours or sending fewer people home each day they don't have to hire anyone else.

oldngray

nowhere special
They must bid the route yes (if they don't eliminate it). However if the remaining routes can be covered by working more hours or sending fewer people home each day they don't have to hire anyone else.

Yep and that leaves them constantly understaffed and they can use that as an excuse to do mostly whatever they want.

Brownslave688

Yep and that leaves them constantly understaffed and they can use that as an excuse to do mostly whatever they want.
This is why all of us (the union) must file every time a sup works. The only thing I would like is some language that states if x amount of sups working grievances are upheld in a month a driver must be hired. Or something along those lines.

There should also be language in your supplement that says if the casuals work x amount of days in a year than a ft must be hired.

Brownslave688

I believe that we have language to that effect in our supplement and that the "x" in your equation is 200 reports upon which a FT position is created.
Yes but locals like mine have never had "casuals" before this new contract. All of our cover drivers were full time and I'm interested to see if we will also have the same language.

Also 200 seems high. That's pretty much 4 days a week. 175 sounds like a better option.