Letter of Suspension Question

Keenj

I'm getting 3 days suspended for second write up for the same infraction even though I followed the sup's instructions on what to do next time it happened.

I explained that to him with the union steward present and I'm still getting the suspension. My question is, since I should document everything that happens, is it ok/legal to record these conversations if they happen in the future? Of course I will do it with their full knowledge if that'll help make it legit. I don't appreciate losing money because I got bum info from a sup.

I won't state the exact reason why I get the suspension because it's really not pertinent.

NXA

It is not ok to "record" audio or video.

It is ok to have the conversation, then the minute you leave the room write it all down verbatim on a piece of paper and file it. With date and time, of course.

Most of the senior drivers in my center keep some sort of records, some more detailed than others. Probably also in yours. The dollar store has a yearly planner, and also a notebook.

35years

Gravy route
No!
Do not record the conversation. That alone will get you fired.

You should file a grievance. If your steward is not backing you up contact your business agent.

Keenj

I find out Tuesday what dates I'll be suspended. I'll take that opportunity to make my case one last time then file the grievance. I will also note this in my comp book.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I'm getting 3 days suspended for second write up for the same infraction even though I followed the sup's instructions on what to do next time it happened.

I explained that to him with the union steward present and I'm still getting the suspension. My question is, since I should document everything that happens, is it ok/legal to record these conversations if they happen in the future? Of course I will do it with their full knowledge if that'll help make it legit. I don't appreciate losing money because I got bum info from a sup.

I won't state the exact reason why I get the suspension because it's really not pertinent.
Cmon bro spill the beans what'd you do

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Reminds me of a time when I was documenting things happening to me and others in the building. When I first started we had a weak Union presence in the building. The local was weak which also made the stewards weak with no backup, everyone was on their own it felt like. I was at the point of documenting harassment and management's wild tactics and thought to myself "no one would ever believe this stuff happened".

I decided to use a tactic from a previous career that I found helpful. After documenting anything I'd sign the paper and put that days date on it. I'd have a book of stamps where I'd mail myself the documentation and leave it sealed, with brief notes scribbled on the back of the envelope to describe what was in it that I documented. I only had to use these envelopes once, never even needed to open them as I was questioned about something I was accused of saying and brought in that days accounts sealed in the envelope, sealed. Once the center manager saw what I was doing he never questioned me again.

It's not like that here now, but maybe this can help someone who was in a situation as I described and needs some ideas on how to protect themselves in an environment where they feel alone and out of options.

FilingBluesFL

I find out Tuesday what dates I'll be suspended. I'll take that opportunity to make my case one last time then file the grievance. I will also note this in my comp book.

NEVER. EVER. Wait to file a grievance. NEVER. You only have 5 working days to file your grievance, and that includes your steward maybe forgetting to get it signed, or any other circumstances. Once 5 days are gone, it's gone. You lose. You need to file ASAP. No waiting.

ABSOLUTELY write a letter of concern. Make sure you document the circumstances, the resolution, and make sure you include that you now don't know how to perform your job since you are now being documented for something you were TOLD TO DO.

Give them the verbal beat down, but make sure in your letter you are eloquent, and intelligent. If you just write "He told me to do this and now I'm in trouble." That's not enough.

Detailed, thorough letters are the way to do it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
done the 1/2 key switch many times out of habit, or at least several..and used edit option...joke of a suspension, if that's really all there is at hand.

Indecisi0n

Reminds me of a time when I was documenting things happening to me and others in the building. When I first started we had a weak Union presence in the building. The local was weak which also made the stewards weak with no backup, everyone was on their own it felt like. I was at the point of documenting harassment and management's wild tactics and thought to myself "no one would ever believe this stuff happened".

I decided to use a tactic from a previous career that I found helpful. After documenting anything I'd sign the paper and put that days date on it. I'd have a book of stamps where I'd mail myself the documentation and leave it sealed, with brief notes scribbled on the back of the envelope to describe what was in it that I documented. I only had to use these envelopes once, never even needed to open them as I was questioned about something I was accused of saying and brought in that days accounts sealed in the envelope, sealed. Once the center manager saw what I was doing he never questioned me again.

It's not like that here now, but maybe this can help someone who was in a situation as I described and needs some ideas on how to protect themselves in an environment where they feel alone and out of options.
What's a stamp?

NXA

Hardcore. That's a good tip.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
So with that said, what other issues do you have?
slide_235585_1156449_free.jpg

NonDeliverOtherMissed

I've been suspended twice....not once did I serve those days..it's just a way of goin up the discipline ladder....but they don't actually let you stay home. Was pretty disappointed actually.....