Level of management that "knows"?

Rhoderunner

Spoke with 2 managers, a senior and a ops, (in separate conversations) about this buyout talk. Both deny hearing official news but believe strongly it is coming. BUT both feel it will not make down to courier level. As I say, just the feel of a couple who've been around. Take it for what it's worth. Pure speculation.

Myort

I had a manager tell me that he has heard rumors. He stressed that they were just rumors. He's a good guy so I believe him. He even discussed several issues that could come up if it was extended to hourly employees.

vantexan

I had a manager tell me that he has heard rumors. He stressed that they were just rumors. He's a good guy so I believe him. He even discussed several issues that could come up if it was extended to hourly employees.

Which begs the question, do they have enough non-essential personnel willing to take a buyout that would make a real difference in the bottom line? And if so why did they hire these people to begin with? I think it's about removing as many well paid employees as possible, and they paid for most if not all of it by terminating the traditional pension plan.

I work for Ground as a package handler and a long-term package handler (8+years) at my hub recently got an ultimatum that he has to choose between this part-time job or his full-time job. He leaves 3 days a week at 6:30 to work his FT job. It's obvious they're only doing it now to get rid of him since he's a topped out employee. They also recently told us we can't punch in 3 minutes early anymore, we have to wait until the exact start time.

franknitty

Well, something's up ! Think about it. If ES freight is slowly headed to Ground, why would FedEx offer 2Day service where the commit is late in the afternoon, along with their most recent addition 2Day AM service ? For FDX to add this service, should set off red flags to those employees who have a basic understanding of the direction this company is headed. The handwriting has been on this wall for quite sometime, but some just aren't going to except the changes.

Last edited:

TUT

Well, something's up ! Think about it. If ES freight is slowly headed to Ground, why would FedEx offer 2Day service where the commit is late in the afternoon, along with their most recent addition 2Day AM service ? For FDX to add this service, should set off red flags to those employees who have a basic understanding of the direction this company is headed. The handwriting has been on this wall for quite sometime, but some just aren't going to except the changes.

Yep this is all still part of the 2008 fleecing of America. That and trade agreements like Nafta, they gave our jobs away and then they took the cash we did have. Too many can only afford the cheapest of transport.

bbsam

Staff member
Yep this is all still part of the 2008 fleecing of America. That and trade agreements like Nafta, they gave our jobs away and then they took the cash we did have. Too many can only afford the cheapest of transport.
Maybe many can't tell the difference between the cheap and expensive transport.

CJinx

I work for Ground as a package handler and a long-term package handler (8+years) at my hub recently got an ultimatum that he has to choose between this part-time job or his full-time job. He leaves 3 days a week at 6:30 to work his FT job. It's obvious they're only doing it now to get rid of him since he's a topped out employee. They also recently told us we can't punch in 3 minutes early anymore, we have to wait until the exact start time.
Handler wages are a joke. You guys top out in 4 years, making.. what? 3 bucks more than a new hire? How many hours a week do you get in the hub? Our satellite box jockeys are lucky to get 15... Just out of curiosity, how many of your crew is eligible for benefits?

Also, I think you're mistaken about the new time clock. It is my understanding that you have a 6 minute window (3 minutes before and after start time) to punch in. Any early or late punches and you get written up automatically.

LTFedExer

Handler wages are a joke. You guys top out in 4 years, making.. what? 3 bucks more than a new hire? How many hours a week do you get in the hub? Our satellite box jockeys are lucky to get 15... Just out of curiosity, how many of your crew is eligible for benefits?
I've seen the handlers timecards...their lucky to do 2 hours/day. That's assuming they don't come back for the reload. When I was PT, there were many weeks I only worked about 3 hours/day (7:40-10:40).
Also, I think you're mistaken about the new time clock. It is my understanding that you have a 6 minute window (3 minutes before and after start time) to punch in. Any early or late punches and you get written up automatically.
Never heard this before. We can punch in up to 5 minutes before our start time, but no later (otherwise we're late).

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Maybe many can't tell the difference between the cheap and expensive transport.

You get what you pay for. When your vital package gets delivered to the wrong address in the wrong city by the Ground clown, you can tell the difference. You can also tell when your "professional" driver arrives wearing flip-flops, 3 days of unwashed BO, and an impressive collection of tattoos. There are going to be a lot of disappointed customers, and with ES it won't be that big of a deal. But wait until it's E2 and your ace driver brings half of it back because he had to take a PCP break. That's when customers will take notice, and give their business to a company that actually will get it there on time.....UPS.

bbsam

Staff member
You get what you pay for. When your vital package gets delivered to the wrong address in the wrong city by the Ground clown, you can tell the difference. You can also tell when your "professional" driver arrives wearing flip-flops, 3 days of unwashed BO, and an impressive collection of tattoos. There are going to be a lot of disappointed customers, and with ES it won't be that big of a deal. But wait until it's E2 and your ace driver brings half of it back because he had to take a PCP break. That's when customers will take notice, and give their business to a company that actually will get it there on time.....UPS.
Pardon the yawn, but this is the demise of Ground that you have literally spoken of for years and someway, somehow, we come through. You will never give credit where it is due, but that is not unexpected. I will not look for it, rather I will let the numbers speak for themselves year after year after year when after some mistakes here and there we end up getting it right. Why do I think it will happen like that? Because it has been like that.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Great quote bbsam, that's exactly why express employees are left wondering what the heck happened, " because it has been like that", I guess you think it will too.
Your moment of enlightenment will be just because of that line of thinking.

bbsam

Staff member
Greay quote bbsam, that's exactly why express employees are left wondering what the heck happened, " because it has been like that"
Your moment of enlightenment will be just because of that line of thinking.

So why are they left wondering when history has told them over and over what comes next?

I get around 20 hours, if that, and we're eligible for benefits after a year. I'm not mistaken though, there's a sign they just put up next to the time clock that specifically says, "Only unload can clock in 5 minutes before start time, everyone else must wait UNTIL start time to punch in." They used to give us that 6 minute window but this sign appeared a couple weeks ago. And yes, handler wages are a joke, and you're right about the 3 bucks more than a new hire. I've been applying to other jobs within the warehouse with no avail.

CJinx

Ah. I know the dock managers are in a tizzy now because the way dock operations are 'judged' now no longer allow them to play shell games with employee's hours. They can no longer code a few guys as clerical to make them exempt from dlh. My advice? Become a QA clerk. :) I love my job. I don't think I could ever be a package handler again.

Ha, our managers always used to make us transfer as clerical. I actually just applied for QA a few weeks ago, nobody's heard anything back yet though.. Fingers crossed!

CJinx

Good luck with that. Solving puzzles and waking people up at 7AM beats the hell out of kicking boxes all morning. :)