Life at Brown during the 08 market crash

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
With the way everything is going I have to say I feel relatively comfortable with job security at UPS. But I wasn't around in 2008 so I wanted to hear from people who were. Was there a lot of layoffs? Was business slow?
Zero change.

barnyard

KTM rider
It was like everyone has described except that we had a ton of packages involving either foreclosures or refinancing at the time.

Lots and lots of NDA and savers with foreclosure notices. I delivered an envelope to a guy, he said, "Do you know what this is?"
Me, "No."
Him, "I am losing my house and everything I have worked for."

Put a damper on my day and his day.

LeadBelly

Banned
With the way everything is going I have to say I feel relatively comfortable with job security at UPS. But I wasn't around in 2008 so I wanted to hear from people who were. Was there a lot of layoffs? Was business slow?
Ups cut a lot of fat in management, as well as a lot of other things they had done in the past. They also utilized their labor department very frequently to thin the Teamster heard. A lot of members sent to panel. The routes got bigger and the trucks were emptier. Saw a lot of managers, and management fired as well. Hell I got :censored2: canned two times during the three year stretch. It was a different time.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

the support functions didn't get gutted until the 2012 transformation

you can still see the effects of it on iGate, where basically all knowledge and passed-down experience stopped dead in its tracks because there aren't enough people to keep it updated

it also led to a centralization in decision-making under Corporate, so instead of your local division staff giving advice to your management, now they have no advice at all or vague instructions from Corp

i guess you guys can chuckle at the support guys losing their jobs, but a lot of the :censored2: you also complain about is directly linked to them not being there anymore

edit: just to clear it up, i actually think we have the right number of support staff now, but the way they gutted it and didn't intelligently reassign the work that needed to be done has led to a lot of chaos and wasted effort that is no where close to being fixed even 5 years later
Yawn

Catatonic

Nine Lives

you can still see the effects of it on iGate, where basically all knowledge and passed-down experience stopped dead in its tracks because there aren't enough people to keep it updated

it also led to a centralization in decision-making under Corporate, so instead of your local division staff giving advice to your management, now they have no advice at all or vague instructions from Corp

i guess you guys can chuckle at the support guys losing their jobs, but a lot of the :censored2: you also complain about is directly linked to them not being there anymore

edit: just to clear it up, i actually think we have the right number of support staff now, but the way they gutted it and didn't intelligently reassign the work that needed to be done has led to a lot of chaos and wasted effort that is no where close to being fixed even 5 years later
Damn!!! Beat me to it. GREAT post.
You hit it right on the head of the nail.
I know 2 mid-level people who left in my area and 70% of the knowledge they had went out the door ... it takes hours and 15 people to figure out the issue where before it would take minutes and 3 or 4 people.
Same in the districts ... smart and motivated people left UPS in the droves from 2012 through now and continue to leave.
UPS Upper Management thinks of everyone as simply a 'head count' or a 'seat'. They don't think the knowledge of employees matter unless they were District Level or above ... just a person to do the job.

Maybe that's what UPS needed but everyone below the Management Committee sees the downside.

oldngray

nowhere special

Blame the 2012 downsizing on 2008?

oldngray

nowhere special
Yep
Except before that it was not replacing people who left.
I guess 'they' decided it was not enough.
At least that goofball move got the Accountant out of the CEO spot.

You don't want to mess with the Accountant

139b.jpg

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

I would never chuckle at anyone losing their job. My wife was in the mortgage industry at this time. We had a lean two years following this crash.

542thruNthru

Almost every driver was pulled into the office and told "UPS has to tighten their belt. So that means you need to do more stops and a bigger area till we get through this recession" Pretty much every driver said ok. About 10 cover drivers were laid off and 6 routes gone in a center of 62 routes.

Once we were out of the recession management refused too lower the stop counts or add routes. We had a record number of people go on 9.5. Weak threats were made to try and scare people from getting on 9.5.

In the building pt supes were sending people home left and right and loading trucks for them. Everytime someone said something or filed a grievance you were screamed at for trying to take down the company.

It was a interesting time. A ton of people got divorced in that time period. A lot of drivers lost their houses also.