listen up UPS, Teamster we are people!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thank you. I have to admit that I did know any of this and now have a different perspective on the situation.

BTW, I love fish sticks. Don't care that it's all the leftover crap after the fish have been processed--still love them.

PobreCarlos

Upstate;

You're welcome. And, BTW...kinda' like fish sticks myself.

Actually, my big beef about "the change" is that, for a long time, I thought it caused p/t'ers to squander their lives away waiting for a full-time job at UPS when they could be advancing their careers elsewhere. That said, I started out as a p/t'er myself, and then started driving after I graduated from college....not a common career path at UPS at the time. But after I went into management, I saw many, many p/t'ers who I thought were simply "running in place" at a time in their lives when they should have been considering a long-term career outside of UPS. In truth, I still feel that way. It hurts me to hear about guys waiting around for 5, or 7, or 10 years or whatever for a full-time job. I feel real sympathy for them...but, at the same time, I can't help but wonder why they didn't "move on" when they had the chance.

On the other hand, given the benefits (if not the wages) of a p/t job at UPS today, and having come see what things like medical insurance cost, I can understand why it may seem the best available option.

959Nanook

so we should go down instead of them coming up,why isnt the question why dont fedx drivers make what ups guys make.

Aside from the fact that this is a thread discussing (in broad terms) upcoming contract negotiations and that wages are included in that contract, I believe a big part of the answer to your question (in the global sense) has to do with which one of the two is farthest from the mean wage in the Light Truck or Delivery Service Drivers occupation. UPS drivers (who are better paid than FedEx drivers both in wages and income) exceed the 75% percentile of wages in the occupation. Personally, I exceed the 90th percentile of wages in the occupation by a good measure which could be expected because I am employed in the state with the highest mean wages for the transportation industry.

PobreCarlos

brown_trousers;

Actually now I'm just you're typical ex-management "investor"; I retired from UPS some time ago. However, I started with the company as a p/t'er on the local sort at an extended center in the late 60's, if that's what you're asking.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Upstate;

You're welcome. And, BTW...kinda' like fish sticks myself.

Actually, my big beef about "the change" is that, for a long time, I thought it caused p/t'ers to squander their lives away waiting for a full-time job at UPS when they could be advancing their careers elsewhere. That said, I started out as a p/t'er myself, and then started driving after I graduated from college....not a common career path at UPS at the time. But after I went into management, I saw many, many p/t'ers who I thought were simply "running in place" at a time in their lives when they should have been considering a long-term career outside of UPS. In truth, I still feel that way. It hurts me to hear about guys waiting around for 5, or 7, or 10 years or whatever for a full-time job. I feel real sympathy for them...but, at the same time, I can't help but wonder why they didn't "move on" when they had the chance.

On the other hand, given the benefits (if not the wages) of a p/t job at UPS today, and having come see what things like medical insurance cost, I can understand why it may seem the best available option.

Not 10 minutes ago I had a discussion about UPS with my youngest He is in his last year of college and his 5th year @ UPS and scared to death that he is going to get stuck .The pay and the benefits plus the tuition reinbursiment have been good for him .The comfort zone of a job that now has reasonable pay plus the ability to work longer hours because of experience and work ethic and living at home will make it hard to leave. Geez but he is starting to have adult thoughts @ 22. He is worried about benefits and getting a job in this economy.I told him I am proud of him that not a lot of people make it that long at brown and he will succeed and get a job in his chosen field . Being a steward I see grown men in their 30's,40's,and 50's without that much maturity.
PS I still had to bust his chops to finish a paper before Thursday.Pop is done contributing after this year.

Justaname

Not 10 minutes ago I had a discussion about UPS with my youngest He is in his last year of college and his 5th year @ UPS and scared to death that he is going to get stuck .The pay and the benefits plus the tuition reinbursiment have been good for him .The comfort zone of a job that now has reasonable pay plus the ability to work longer hours because of experience and work ethic and living at home will make it hard to leave. Geez but he is starting to have adult thoughts @ 22. He is worried about benefits and getting a job in this economy.I told him I am proud of him that not a lot of people make it that long at brown and he will succeed and get a job in his chosen field . Being a steward I see grown men in their 30's,40's,and 50's without that much maturity.
PS I still had to bust his chops to finish a paper before Thursday.Pop is done contributing after this year.
After working for brown it definetly makes other jobs seem extremely easy(most anyways), and employers love seeing ups on your application. He will do just fine!

CAFAL

After working for brown it definetly makes other jobs seem extremely easy(most anyways), and employers love seeing ups on your application. He will do just fine!

With much respect. I can only hope my son is as level headed as yours is at that age. I constantly tell my son to try to get a job where you use your head, not destroy your body. I would smack my kid silly if he wanted to get a job at ups. All that I do and go through and time sacrafices I've made. I'd push for the army first. A better life I hope and work for. Like I said,no disrespect, to each his own

Kfr1976

I'm not sure what state you are in, here in Georgia we don't have to pay those lousy teamsters a dime, if you can opt out of the union you can save money there. It is a part time job So you are lucky to get benefits at all and they are really good, if you get promoted you will get them the same day instead of waiting a year. Instead of hoping that they will start paying big bucks to loaders try to move up the food chain.