listen up UPS, Teamster we are people!!!

flipstyle9

ok, I am getting hated on so much on this forum probably by most full timers that lost touch of real physical labor. I will be as real as I can be. I don't care if UPS fires me for speaking up for the part-timers.

Why do part timers pay union fees? We are paid peanuts for real hard work. We don't get benefits for a year, do they expect we won't last a year? the poverty level in the United States is below $20,000 a year, we part timers are making less than $10,000 a year. Do the math. We are making less than 50% of the poverty level. The is what you call a "sweat shop," last time I checked we were not living in Vietnam or China. it is 2012 and we are in America. We are just making enough for gas. We should get benefits after 90 days like all other companies or don't pay union fees. When I checked part timers make up like 70% of the company, so no matter how people think they are better than you that simply is not true, UPS needs part timers to do their dirty work, part timers is what makes their operation go, we are the core of it and we just get treated like **** paying union dues with nothing to show for it. last time I checked the union fees are the same as the full timers, which does not even seem fair seeing is we get paid more than half.
Drivers get paid on average $73,000/year, preloaders/sorters on average $9,000. That is a $64,000 difference, that is just sad, we should atleast be closer to the poverty level. Teamster needs to step it up.

The Safety is bad also, they tell you to "duck and cover" in a natural disaster. With boxes piling up under the conveyour I wonder where we can "dck and cover" You can't even have two people cross each other without one stopping between the belt and the car. During an emergency good luck getting out with the pile of boxes.

I am ready for the criticism now, most will probably come from full timers. Hit me hard but just know what I speak of is facts 100% nobody can deny one of the biggest companies with the least amount of safety and compensation. Someone please debunk me if you think I am wrong.

over9five

Staff member
I agree you guys work incredibly hard, I see it every night.

But you can't complain about being below the poverty level, you are part time.
Hopefully, all you p/ters went to the Contract Proposal meeting and demanded a wage increase in the next contract. If you all (p/ters) voted the contract down, it wouldn't pass. You guys far outnumber the friend/ters. If you all stuck together, you could dictate your wage.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't know where you are checking, or who you've talked to....

But, that's not correct.

Is this like week 3 ? Lighten up.

-Bug-

To be fair, he is right---the multiplier is the same---the dollar amount obviously is not. The ratio of union dues to annual salary hits the PTers much harder than the FTers.

packageguy

ok, I am getting hated on so much on this forum probably by most full timers that lost touch of real physical labor. I will be as real as I can be. I don't care if UPS fires me for speaking up for the part-timers.

Why do part timers pay union fees? We are paid peanuts for real hard work. We don't get benefits for a year, do they expect we won't last a year? the poverty level in the United States is below $20,000 a year, we part timers are making less than $10,000 a year. Do the math. We are making less than 50% of the poverty level. The is what you call a "sweat shop," last time I checked we were not living in Vietnam or China. it is 2012 and we are in America. We are just making enough for gas. We should get benefits after 90 days like all other companies or don't pay union fees. When I checked part timers make up like 70% of the company, so no matter how people think they are better than you that simply is not true, UPS needs part timers to do their dirty work, part timers is what makes their operation go, we are the core of it and we just get treated like **** paying union dues with nothing to show for it. last time I checked the union fees are the same as the full timers, which does not even seem fair seeing is we get paid more than half.
Drivers get paid on average $73,000/year, preloaders/sorters on average $9,000. That is a $64,000 difference, that is just sad, we should atleast be closer to the poverty level. Teamster needs to step it up.

The Safety is bad also, they tell you to "duck and cover" in a natural disaster. With boxes piling up under the conveyour I wonder where we can "dck and cover" You can't even have two people cross each other without one stopping between the belt and the car. During an emergency good luck getting out with the pile of boxes.

I am ready for the criticism now, most will probably come from full timers. Hit me hard but just know what I speak of is facts 100% nobody can deny one of the biggest companies with the least amount of safety and compensation. Someone please debunk me if you think I am wrong.

First, you are part time, and you get benefits. Yes you guys do work hard. I take care of my loader every week, He loads a 4 car set. the other 3 drivers take care of him too.

as far as safety goes you guys should have safety commitee, I heard of other buildng calling OSHA, and they got results.

If you guys do stick together you would get what you want, far more part-timers then full timers .

Remember you have benefits because of a union, because if you think UPS wants to give you benefits out of the kindness of there heart your then wake up.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I have worked much harder jobs than preload for much less money. Quit your friend*ckin' whining.

Damn you sound like a tool, you have no idea. Inflation is up but not our wages, maybe you were making less when everything cost 50 cents

You're a tool. Go to union meeting. Organize your coworkers. Stop complaining on an internet forum and do something you toolie toolie tool tool (I hope that wasn't too harsh)

flipstyle9

You're a tool. Go to union meeting. Organize your coworkers. Stop complaining on an internet forum and do something you toolie toolie tool tool (I hope that wasn't too harsh)

what are you a manager? You have no idea? I see the IBT only favors full timers and that my friend is a fact and you can take that to the bank. I made more on unemployment without spending gas, that is bad, I have to wait a damn year for insurance. Damn

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
To be fair, he is right---the multiplier is the same---the dollar amount obviously is not. The ratio of union dues to annual salary hits the PTers much harder than the FTers.

The multiplier is different. Unless, the Local has a different provision in their Bylaws.

Dues, are calculated based on the formula in Article X Section 3(d) of the International Constitution.

2 × the hourly rate for people making less than $11.00 an hour.

2½ × the hourly rate for people making more than $11.00 an hour.

Those are the minimums.

Local's are afforded a high degree of autonomy.... That's why Initiation fees differ, from Local to Local.

-Bug-

packageguy

Sorry I don't know what kind of union you have, our union reps saved 2 guys in a month. Maybe you should run for shop steward, run on a change campaign. Make like this ........
A VOTE FOR ME IS A VOTE FOR CHANGE

Justaname

i know where your anger comes from, it sucks being at the bottom. My first year I made about 8,000. I'm now about five years in and will make a little over 20. Add in my benefits and that's not to bad for a pt job. A pay increase would be nice, and I put my opinions on my survey the teamsters sent us recently for the next contract. Hope you sent yours in as well that's where your voice can be heard.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
You don't pay attention. I work split shifts an average of 3 months a year at insider rate. I work along whiney people like you who piss and moan about "the union" not doing anything. What you and they seem to forget is YOUR ARE THE UNION. Affect change or get off your soap box. I am sick of whiney people expecting other people to do things for them. You are absolutely right about piss poor wages and lack of respect for pt workers. Where you are wrong is your approach at fixing it.