Load Rate of 400-500 Packages per hour

Brownies...mmm

Never Underestimate the Power of a Woman
For inside the trailers? Actually, be glad we're not.

The aluminum ones with plastic rollers we have now, I hate them too, but they are a little easier to manage than the pure steel ones we had when I started.

I really think the LOA 24s were the best idea - some hubs have belts that extend into the trailer for loading, like most unload areas do - but we could never prove the increase in PPH so retrofitting all of the outbound doors never happened.
Yes I load feeders, can't imagine the dings and dents pure steel would get. It would definitely be a little a lot better if they repaired the broken rollers.

We have 2 extendos in my PD one goes all the way in. The other has about a 4-5 foot gap you have to load before it reaches. This is my 7 month so I don't know what type they had previously. I always end up in the trailer with the roller line most of the time. The extendo is so much easier to use.

Brownies...mmm

I've done both and Loading trailers is stress free compared to loading package cars.

I've never done preload but if definitely seems more stressful. Having a sup and a driver looking over your shoulder would be a challenge.

We get the feeder drivers looking at us like they think it will speed things up but thats about it. The pt sups don't say too much to me.

dudebro

What is a drop frame trailer?
We had 28 and 40 foot long trailers that

A) used the space between the axles, so the floor was lower, and wasn't flat - there were wheel wells,
B) had a set of rollers built into the trailer 4 feet high, and shelves that were hinged on the sides of the trailers, that closed onto the rollers, so you had a 4 foot high platform to stand on after you filled the space under the rollers. You didn't really need a load stand.

All of these have aged out of the system but you might have a storage trailer in the parking lot with the UPS stuff all painted over, that was one of these.

There are actually a few new 28 foot shelf trailers but they didn't catch on, so most people ignore the shelves hanging on the right side of the trailer.

Duckwithapipboy

There are actually a few new 28 foot shelf trailers but they didn't catch on, so most people ignore the shelves hanging on the right side of the trailer.

I see them occasionally and used to like them when the trailer I was in didn't require much in terms of PPH, but they are just a pain in the ass to use now. Even worse when unload doesn't secure them properly and you are the unlucky SOB feeder gives it to.

Duckwithapipboy

We have 2 extendos in my PD one goes all the way in. The other has about a 4-5 foot gap you have to load before it reaches. This is my 7 month so I don't know what type they had previously. I always end up in the trailer with the roller line most of the time. The extendo is so much easier to use.
Are you talking about the manual floor skates or the god awful green waist-high rollers they screw in the middle?

Dr.Brownz

I've never done preload but if definitely seems more stressful. Having a sup and a driver looking over your shoulder would be a challenge.

We get the feeder drivers looking at us like they think it will speed things up but thats about it. The pt sups don't say too much to me.

When the feeder guys tried that on me when I was on night sort Id tell them I dont mind if they help, might get done faster. If they said a jackass comment i'd be extra safe while loading. Most learned to walk away and not bother me

Duckwithapipboy

When the feeder guys tried that on me when I was on night sort Id tell them I dont mind if they help, might get done faster. If they said a jackass comment i'd be extra safe while loading. Most learned to walk away and not bother me

I usually try to hand them a package and ask them to put it on the rehandle belt. Most will just look at me funny, but then get the idea to bugger off and pester my supervisor.

km3

Our feeder guys are pretty cool. They don't show up until your trailer is basically full anyway. My biggest complaint about feeder drivers is actually the fact that they're not coming inside to check the load and warn the loader that they're backing on.

I've been in a trailer that was pulled before. Pure chaos. Wouldn't have happened if the driver got off his ass, walked inside, and checked the load.

Brownies...mmm

Our feeder guys are pretty cool. They don't show up until your trailer is basically full anyway. My biggest complaint about feeder drivers is actually the fact that they're not coming inside to check the load and warn the loader that they're backing on.

I've been in a trailer that was pulled before. Pure chaos. Wouldn't have happened if the driver got off his ass, walked inside, and checked the load.
The first time a driver hitched on scared the crap out of me. A person reported at a safety meeting and its been much better. They are sime drivers that warn up all the time.

Dr.Brownz

If you were in a trailer and it was pulled and you were to become seriously injured as a result you could sue UPS so hard and win. It would take years of legal battles though unless the media took up your cause.

km3

The first time a driver hitched on scared the crap out of me. A person reported at a safety meeting and its been much better. They are sime drivers that warn up all the time.

The driver wasn't doing his/her job. They're supposed to check the trailer, and warn any loaders currently inside that they're about to hitch on. What if your foot fell between the catwalk and the trailer at the exact moment they tried to back on?

But hey, UPS is all about safety. That's why they enforce rules like this...or not. Whatever.

Duckwithapipboy

Wait till one pulls away with you and rollers still in the trailer. Whhaaaaattt???
We've had that happen too often lately (minus the panic of a present loader.) My worst occurrence was during peak when our Redmond remote was a manual skate. Sub supervisor never told us the trailer wasn't ours (which is bull:censored2: since it was a Friday, when feeder has between preload and twilight to get the right trailers in the bays.) I set it up and then start sweeping. About 15 minutes later I'm walking towards the end of our dock when I see light coming from the bay door and the crash of a six decker being snapped in half and torn from the dock.

Our luckiest escape was a feeder driver taking a shorty from our dock while the extendo was out. By a sheer miracle the guy drove straight out instead of turning immediately.

So far I've only seen three feeder drivers actually check the bay door inside for our facility. The few others that do are only inside because they're waiting for the hot trailer to finish loading.

dudebro

Can't argue with looking at the load as part of a pretrip. At the same time, if that happened in a large hub, the driver probably pulled the load because the PT supervisor finaled the load in the Burr Brown unit - which signals that the trailer is completed and no one is loading it. I used to get animated with my PT sups who did that.

dudebro

I used to train loaders to take two steps from the wall and take a knee if there was room, then bang on the side of the wall with an open hand if the trailer moved before I could run outside and yell to the driver. We've come a long way with safety in 25 years...