Load Rate of 400-500 Packages per hour

dudebro

When the feeder guys tried that on me when I was on night sort Id tell them I dont mind if they help, might get done faster. If they said a jackass comment i'd be extra safe while loading. Most learned to walk away and not bother me
A guy driving to Hudson NY once told me he was making 30/hour just to watch me load. I told him if I save a damaged package, they tell me the average claim is 132 dollars, so it's worth it for you to stand there for 4 hours and "watch me load". Then he mumbled something about egress and a fire and stomped off.

km3

Can't argue with looking at the load as part of a pretrip. At the same time, if that happened in a large hub, the driver probably pulled the load because the PT supervisor finaled the load in the Burr Brown unit - which signals that the trailer is completed and no one is loading it. I used to get animated with my PT sups who did that.

Yeah, it was pulled at 1am. Driver told me he pulled it because it "expired" at 12. I was working in an area unsupervised on my own. Both my PT and FT sups claimed they knew nothing of it "expiring" at midnight.

dudebro

Yeah, it was pulled at 1am. Driver told me he pulled it because it "expired" at 12. I was working in an area unsupervised on my own. Both my PT and FT sups claimed they knew nothing of it "expiring" at midnight.
I've never heard that either, unless he meant the registration and it became a redtag. Still, no excuse to pull the trailer without looking, esp. if he wasn't signaled to do so by the mgmt in the building.

km3

I've never heard that either, unless he meant the registration and it became a redtag. Still, no excuse to pull the trailer without looking, esp. if he wasn't signaled to do so by the mgmt in the building.

That was the finale for an awful week of double shifting for me. Feeders screwed me all week long when I needed a new trailer, but they take ones I'm not finished with before I was done.

The same thing almost happened the night before, but that driver, a contractor, actually came inside to check.

Dr.Brownz

Can't argue with looking at the load as part of a pretrip. At the same time, if that happened in a large hub, the driver probably pulled the load because the PT supervisor finaled the load in the Burr Brown unit - which signals that the trailer is completed and no one is loading it. I used to get animated with my PT sups who did that.
Stop pretending you are a union worker. Deep down you want to scream out: "Production is number one and safety is an afterthought!" Get back to your reports, I'm sure there are some metrics you can pull your hair out over somewhere.

dudebro

Stop pretending you are a union worker. Deep down you want to scream out: "Production is number one and safety is an afterthought!" Get back to your reports, I'm sure there are some metrics you can pull your hair out over somewhere.
Where, did I ever do that? And pulling trailers with employees in them out into the yard didn't make my reports look better.

Brownies...mmm

Never Underestimate the Power of a Woman
I used to train loaders to take two steps from the wall and take a knee if there was room, then bang on the side of the wall with an open hand if the trailer moved before I could run outside and yell to the driver. We've come a long way with safety in 25 years...
Wow...

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

general empathy aside, do you know what a pain in the ass an injury is to management?

dudebro

general empathy aside, do you know what a pain in the ass an injury is to management?

Absolutely. Even if we were such selfish human beings not to care about people being injured, the process IS the punishment.

The FT management person has to call HR, call the insurance company, put together a PowerPoint presentation with pictures of everything, and then stay for hours to present it on a conference call to upper mgmt, where he/she is NOT the hero. It's ugly. The reaction to a bad production report is not nearly so intense.

Dr.Brownz's image of how the company views injuries and the reality are nowhere near each other.