Load retainers(again)...

quad decade guy

There seems to be a load retainer crisis in our District.

Our Hub has decided(apparently) that load retainers are optional....they've just stopped using them.

I actually witnessed(last peak) new loaders(feeder) being trained. The trainer did not use or teach the new hires to use retainers. They are trained to load(brick) and move to the next trailer. Often tripping over the retainer. I have pointed out retainers to loaders and pt sups and they regard them as some sort of alien artifact and often do not understand their function or operation.

The particular trainer was deliberately obstinate, angry and punitive. Pt sups same as well as any level of Mgt. So odd.

I guess(according to the Hub) the definition of loads being retained only applies to flatbed operations....not van(feeder). If not, simply closing the door of the feeder trailer causes the load to be retained(as in the "box" structure). I am dead serious.

Now, it is settled agreement that load retainers are the hubs responsibility. There was a DOT mandate out a few years ago about retained loads. This was not disputed at our old hub and was not debated. This new super hub has abandoned the concept altogether. A feeder vs. hub exists here. The hub being an untouchable monolith. Weird.

I would like to know:

Are retainers required by Federal Law? See, this would settle most of the debate. Asking our feeder upper mgt. usually results in a shrug. All the while causing extra cost and late departures.....a direct negative impact to our operation. Odd. They just take it.....

So, are load retainers required or not....by law? If not, why do all UPS trailers have them at manufacture? Looks.....?

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
YAWN…it’s 7:45am on Sunday morning and you decide we need a rant about load retainers. Sheeesh. Go outside and do some fishing, or golf a round of 18. Maybe finally cut those crusty ass toenails you have been neglecting for 40 years while worrying about (small) UPS safety issues

over9five

Staff member
YAWN…it’s 7:45am on Sunday morning and you decide we need a rant about load retainers. Sheeesh. Go outside and do some fishing, or golf a round of 18. Maybe finally cut those crusty ass toenails you have been neglecting for 40 years while worrying about (small) UPS safety issues
Maybe he's at work. Just cuz you don't work Sundays....

quad decade guy

Yawn indeed....

Not sure why or how you would know about my toenails...so odd....and of course hateful or relevant. Sheesh.

Now, a small safety issue......well...I guess it is so small that it is a DOT MANDATED directive.

It is simply inane and obtuse to think otherwise and is exactly what I am talking about here on BC.

Say, don't like it? Move along. Sure hope those pkgs(especially heavy irregs) don't hit you in the mouth....well maybe.

quad decade guy

Go to this website and do some research.
I bet you'll find load retainers are required.
Benevolent helping.

Ok. Fair enough.

But, does the company/UPS?

If so....see above.

Seriously.....how have we gotten to this point? Does mgt just decide....."we are just going to save time and money, compromise safety and just skip this procedure..." Roll the dice?

With this, goes building security( we have wide open gates that allow ANY vehicle to enter unchecked, even driving into the building). This person(s) can then go ANYWHERE unrestricted throughout the complex....including the air dock. Without a check of any kind. I see it all day long. 24/7.

Commercial Inside Release

When a whole belt grinds to halt, because they can't get a trailer door open, then they get me and another guy. Funny thing is, if I get hurt pushing the door over head as hard as I can, it will be too bad, so sad.

Use a damn load retainer, and don't drive like an idiot!

BrownSnowFlake

I always put up the load retainers when I loaded. Belt supes don't like it bc it doesn't count towards your PPH but they couldn't really tell me not to do it. So they'd just sit there watching me and seething.

Dunno what to say other than "I feel your pain". People half-assing their job is a problem everywhere.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
There seems to be a load retainer crisis in our District.

Our Hub has decided(apparently) that load retainers are optional....they've just stopped using them.

I actually witnessed(last peak) new loaders(feeder) being trained. The trainer did not use or teach the new hires to use retainers. They are trained to load(brick) and move to the next trailer. Often tripping over the retainer. I have pointed out retainers to loaders and pt sups and they regard them as some sort of alien artifact and often do not understand their function or operation.

The particular trainer was deliberately obstinate, angry and punitive. Pt sups same as well as any level of Mgt. So odd.

I guess(according to the Hub) the definition of loads being retained only applies to flatbed operations....not van(feeder). If not, simply closing the door of the feeder trailer causes the load to be retained(as in the "box" structure). I am dead serious.

Now, it is settled agreement that load retainers are the hubs responsibility. There was a DOT mandate out a few years ago about retained loads. This was not disputed at our old hub and was not debated. This new super hub has abandoned the concept altogether. A feeder vs. hub exists here. The hub being an untouchable monolith. Weird.

I would like to know:

Are retainers required by Federal Law? See, this would settle most of the debate. Asking our feeder upper mgt. usually results in a shrug. All the while causing extra cost and late departures.....a direct negative impact to our operation. Odd. They just take it.....

So, are load retainers required or not....by law? If not, why do all UPS trailers have them at manufacture? Looks.....?
Refuse to pull unless you see load retainers being used. Sounds like your building does not see it as a safety issue when it doesn’t directly affect them.

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
The fact is, You as the driver are responsible for load securement. Doesn't matter that you think company policy trumps DOT regulations. And why the hell would you want someone else doing it anyway? Popping those nets in the rails or slapping a load bar up literally takes seconds and it is done to your satisfaction then.

Do you think that out in the world of regular tru-cking load securement is the responsibility of the shipper? And before you reply, UPS isn't regular tru-cking, let me assure you as someone who has over 2 million miles OTR, you are correct. Doesn't absolve you as being the last individual responsible for that load before it rolls down the highway.

HFolb23

I don’t remember the last time I got a load that had the retainer already put up in it. A few times I’ve crawled in to set it up and found the net cut or its in the middle of the trailer and the loader just filled around it. Even worse is when they blowout a swing door and then you have to worry about dumping boxes all over the yard as you try to put it on or pull off the door.

meritocracy

Supervisors want to load packages into the trailers until the last second or until minutes after the trailer was scheduled to leave. They don't have time for load retainers in their mind. My suggestion is that you encourage feeder drivers to request that supervisors direct their loaders to put up load retainers before the trailer leaves.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
It all went to crap after they made the unloader twist up the straps to supposedly prevent tripping. Then the straps became unusable. It is apparent that they haven't ordered new straps or bars in 2 years. I haven't had a strapped load in over a year.