Load retainers(again)...

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
It all went to crap after they made the unloader twist up the straps to supposedly prevent tripping. Then the straps became unusable. It is apparent that they haven't ordered new straps or bars in 2 years. I haven't had a strapped load in over a year.
Can't order proper equipment might cut into the profit margin

quad decade guy

The fact is, You as the driver are responsible for load securement. Doesn't matter that you think company policy trumps DOT regulations. And why the hell would you want someone else doing it anyway? Popping those nets in the rails or slapping a load bar up literally takes seconds and it is done to your satisfaction then.

Do you think that out in the world of regular tru-cking load securement is the responsibility of the shipper? And before you reply, UPS isn't regular tru-cking, let me assure you as someone who has over 2 million miles OTR, you are correct. Doesn't absolve you as being the last individual responsible for that load before it rolls down the highway.
I don’t remember the last time I got a load that had the retainer already put up in it. A few times I’ve crawled in to set it up and found the net cut or its in the middle of the trailer and the loader just filled around it. Even worse is when they blowout a swing door and then you have to worry about dumping boxes all over the yard as you try to put it on or pull off the door.
Supervisors want to load packages into the trailers until the last second or until minutes after the trailer was scheduled to leave. They don't have time for load retainers in their mind. My suggestion is that you encourage feeder drivers to request that supervisors direct their loaders to put up load retainers before the trailer leaves.
Refuse to pull unless you see load retainers being used. Sounds like your building does not see it as a safety issue when it doesn’t directly affect them.
I always put up the load retainers when I loaded. Belt supes don't like it bc it doesn't count towards your PPH but they couldn't really tell me not to do it. So they'd just sit there watching me and seething.

Dunno what to say other than "I feel your pain". People half-assing their job is a problem everywhere.
To all,

Fact is.....its a Hub function.

Fact is....you can't put up what's not available.

Fact is.....you can't put up a load retainer for a load on a pad that is A. not there, B. Has no load stand, on and on and on.

Fact is....finding a load retainer can be/is quite time consuming and let me assure you.....that extra time is not built into your ON TIME FEEDER NETWORK departure time.

Fact is....UPS isn't the real world....however.....it is what it is. True, it is the feeder drivers ultimate responsibility as far as legality. This is where it gets complicated. None of you guys(especially the condescending 2 mil guy) mentioned any time references. We don't have load retainers just piled up everywhere. Fact is.... the process has taken me an hour to complete with no stealing time stuff...you leave 1 hour past departure and you become famous....especially after that whole trailer misses service. Now, let me assure you I realize that's not my problem and hey, if they care let them blah blah.

Example: Let's say you have a set already built but not sealed....say two 50%er's.....open the doors(roll up pups) and no load retainer or net NOT deployed....what to do? Break em down, take to an empty dock and complete the task? Find 2 load stands, retainers and proceed? How long is this going to take? Let me assure you.....a long time(relatively).

That said.....why is this happening?

It seems to be company wide.

Is it illegal? If so, who has made this decision? And why?

For me, the conversation generally stops at it's a Hub function. Really at legality. There's your genesis to the problem and Federal enforcement. Pretty simple....but yet.

This in the same mindset of clearance lights, DOT inspections, registrations etc. I have seen many, many times drivers instructed to pull a load with illegal, no go faults. Often heard: "We'll pay the fine....just get it there...". Keeping in mind these are the very same people making the Hub decisions.

I guarantee this is happening with 1000's of loads everyday.....why? These are deliberately illegal, negligent Corporate decisions. Right?

Because they know it's happening....right? A simple audit at departure and destination would confirm such....right?

And we didn't even mention contractors....and it's connection? How about the folks on the other end that open those doors....

quad decade guy

It all went to crap after they made the unloader twist up the straps to supposedly prevent tripping. Then the straps became unusable. It is apparent that they haven't ordered new straps or bars in 2 years. I haven't had a strapped load in over a year.
Ok. Do you mean you have pulled loads not retained or haven't had a strapped load and you've had to strap it yourself? Or you just pull it anyway(unstrapped)?

quad decade guy

Supervisors want to load packages into the trailers until the last second or until minutes after the trailer was scheduled to leave. They don't have time for load retainers in their mind. My suggestion is that you encourage feeder drivers to request that supervisors direct their loaders to put up load retainers before the trailer leaves.
Ok. Then what? Say, they won't. You can't find one.....Then what?

BTW, who has the time? Serious questions.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Ups is just a computer program from the matrix currently bugged by a virus called stupidity that rewriting the program to its bidding

quad decade guy

You have time.

All the time you spend whining here.

Shrugs shoulders.
The hate aside....

I'm off the clock here......So your point is?

Our start work and departure times in fact do not have unlimited parameters.

So, besides being hateful....do you have something of value/helpful to the conversation? Perhaps insight or a solution.

Attacking me isn't relevant. And how about all the time you spend here belittling and verbally abusing me? So odd....

UPSER1987

The hate aside....

So, besides being hateful....do you have something of value/helpful to the conversation? Perhaps insight or a solution.

Attacking me isn't relevant. And how about all the time you spend here belittling and verbally abusing me? So odd....
You were given a solution by a previous poster.

Perhaps safety is only important to you when on the clock- you are probably on the safety committee too. They are only concerned about safety when on the clock as well.

Safety is your job and a 24/7 business.

Shrugs shoulders.

J.D. Hogg

Maybe see a load retainer in one out of 100 trucks.

Most pre-loaders have never seen one and have no idea what they are when they do.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
YAWN…it’s 7:45am on Sunday morning and you decide we need a rant about load retainers. Sheeesh. Go outside and do some fishing, or golf a round of 18. Maybe finally cut those crusty ass toenails you have been neglecting for 40 years while worrying about (small) UPS safety issues
Can't. He's a vaxxie who has COVID again

quad decade guy

Refuse to pull unless you see load retainers being used. Sounds like your building does not see it as a safety issue when it doesn’t directly affect them.
This^?
You were given a solution by a previous poster.

Perhaps safety is only important to you when on the clock- you are probably on the safety committee too. They are only concerned about safety when on the clock as well.

Safety is your job and a 24/7 business.

Shrugs shoulders.
Ok. Unrealistic. Very. What's next? A wildcat strike? An illegal companywide decision and procedure is going on here.

So, not sure about all that other 24/7 stuff. I don't work off the clock. The safety committee...? Huh? the S/C can't do anything. They know it's happening.

Try to concentrate....that hatred and rage causes you to wander.

In fact IT IS NOT MY JOB 24/7. Who is "they"?

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
To all,

Fact is.....its a Hub function.

Fact is....you can't put up what's not available.

Fact is.....you can't put up a load retainer for a load on a pad that is A. not there, B. Has no load stand, on and on and on.

Fact is....finding a load retainer can be/is quite time consuming and let me assure you.....that extra time is not built into your ON TIME FEEDER NETWORK departure time.

Fact is....UPS isn't the real world....however.....it is what it is. True, it is the feeder drivers ultimate responsibility as far as legality. This is where it gets complicated. None of you guys(especially the condescending 2 mil guy) mentioned any time references. We don't have load retainers just piled up everywhere. Fact is.... the process has taken me an hour to complete with no stealing time stuff...you leave 1 hour past departure and you become famous....especially after that whole trailer misses service. Now, let me assure you I realize that's not my problem and hey, if they care let them blah blah.

Example: Let's say you have a set already built but not sealed....say two 50%er's.....open the doors(roll up pups) and no load retainer or net NOT deployed....what to do? Break em down, take to an empty dock and complete the task? Find 2 load stands, retainers and proceed? How long is this going to take? Let me assure you.....a long time(relatively).

That said.....why is this happening?

It seems to be company wide.

Is it illegal? If so, who has made this decision? And why?

For me, the conversation generally stops at it's a Hub function. Really at legality. There's your genesis to the problem and Federal enforcement. Pretty simple....but yet.

This in the same mindset of clearance lights, DOT inspections, registrations etc. I have seen many, many times drivers instructed to pull a load with illegal, no go faults. Often heard: "We'll pay the fine....just get it there...". Keeping in mind these are the very same people making the Hub decisions.

I guarantee this is happening with 1000's of loads everyday.....why? These are deliberately illegal, negligent Corporate decisions. Right?

Because they know it's happening....right? A simple audit at departure and destination would confirm such....right?

And we didn't even mention contractors....and it's connection? How about the folks on the other end that open those doors....
Ok. Do you mean you have pulled loads not retained or haven't had a strapped load and you've had to strap it yourself? Or you just pull it anyway(unstrapped)?
Ok. Then what? Say, they won't. You can't find one.....Then what?

BTW, who has the time? Serious questions.
The hate aside....

Ok. How about a solution to the problem?

Cool analogy though.....
proxy-image.jpg

UPSER1987

This^?

Ok. Unrealistic. Very. What's next? A wildcat strike? An illegal companywide decision and procedure is going on here.

So, not sure about all that other 24/7 stuff. I don't work off the clock. The safety committee...? Huh? the S/C can't do anything. They know it's happening.

Try to concentrate....that hatred and rage causes you to wander.

In fact IT IS NOT MY JOB 24/7. Who is "they"?
“They” being the aforementioned Safety committee.

Reading is hard …take your time.

Shrugs shoulders.

Safety is everyone’s job 24/7. Can’t pick and choose when it’s convenient for you bud.

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
Condescending? Rich coming from you Super Chief. I have never asked what a pull time is even once. The departure time is when I depart after determining equipment and cargo that I am responsible for is to my satisfaction. There isn't a person in management, any UPS regulation, etc etc that can dictate otherwise.

You are asking about legality and such. Securement is like every other regulation in the book, it's at the discretion, interpretation and mood of the LEO you are dealing with. A half loaded trailer that is floor loaded with no Securement? You'd have to be acting a complete fool to the officer or he'd have to be having a really bad day to cite you. DOT guys aren't that bad to deal with. Like any law enforcement, 99 percent of how they deal with you is how you deal with them. Now if you are talking about a load to the doors and stuff comes flying out if requested to open, that's probably going to go a different way.

Evidently our hub is different than some. At the trailer cleaning doors you can always find straps, nets, bars and usually even butterfly bars.