Load retainers(again)...

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
And when It comes to load Securement regarding vans or reefers, the main thing a LEO is concerned about is whether freight can shift/fall and go through the trailer wall or door. Our freight is loaded wall to wall off the floor so sideshifting isn't an issue. Main concern is the back wall of freight falling to or leaning against the door(s).

over9five

Staff member
And when It comes to load Securement regarding vans or reefers, the main thing a LEO is concerned about is whether freight can shift/fall and go through the trailer wall or door. Our freight is loaded wall to wall off the floor so sideshifting isn't an issue. Main concern is the back wall of freight falling to or leaning against the door(s).
Has an LEO ever broken a UPS seal, and checked for a load retainer?
Never happened to me.

quad decade guy

Condescending? Rich coming from you Super Chief. I have never asked what a pull time is even once. The departure time is when I depart after determining equipment and cargo that I am responsible for is to my satisfaction. There isn't a person in management, any UPS regulation, etc etc that can dictate otherwise.

You are asking about legality and such. Securement is like every other regulation in the book, it's at the discretion, interpretation and mood of the LEO you are dealing with. A half loaded trailer that is floor loaded with no Securement? You'd have to be acting a complete fool to the officer or he'd have to be having a really bad day to cite you. DOT guys aren't that bad to deal with. Like any law enforcement, 99 percent of how they deal with you is how you deal with them. Now if you are talking about a load to the doors and stuff comes flying out if requested to open, that's probably going to go a different way.

Evidently our hub is different than some. At the trailer cleaning doors you can always find straps, nets, bars and usually even butterfly bars.
Wow. Ok....

You've never looked at your schedule? Answer carefully......Super Duper Chief....

Huh, well I guess I work some place else.

We have several folks going through termination because of "schedule deviations......" right now.

See, we aren't really talking about enforcement.....actually about are they required(by law) at departure.

Since you are a LEO and a judge and lawyer......tell us please.

And about finding said net, bars and such.....that is NOT built into our schedules that seem to not exist at your Hub. Evidently.

BTW, I don't know any feeder drivers refer to it as "freight".....

quad decade guy

You were given a solution by a previous poster.

Perhaps safety is only important to you when on the clock- you are probably on the safety committee too. They are only concerned about safety when on the clock as well.

Safety is your job and a 24/7 business.

Shrugs shoulders.
“They” being the aforementioned Safety committee.

Reading is hard …take your time.

Shrugs shoulders.

Safety is everyone’s job 24/7. Can’t pick and choose when it’s convenient for you bud.
Writing well is hard too.....

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
Come back Super Duper Chief....
Screenshot_20211025-180733_1.png
Screenshot_20211025-180733_1.png
There ya go *, interpret it for yourself.

This topic did pique my interest in that UPS freight and load structure is somewhat unique. One thing I probably have, besides a tolerable personality, that you may not, is a cousin who is a state trooper. She's been on the CMV side of things for 5 or 6 years. I texted her and her response and interpretation of things was interesting. Hopefully you find your own source and can get your own answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

quad decade guy

Hey @quad decade guy, you ever get this load retainer situation figured out at your building?
The latest:

Was told that Corporate is reviewing the codes to determine if UPS is subject to load retainers...period. Supply chain problems have given them an excuse in the mean time.

I'm betting on "we're exempt"......and you'll never see another load retainer....

Never mind safety or all the rest of it....

My opinion...