Load Stands

jeckerson1522

Hey everyone I am new here but have a question because i can not find the answer and was wondering if anyone here can help. Where does it say that the Load stand has to be in your truck or used? I have looked in the Employee hand book and it says nothing about Load stands at all. If someone can point me in the direction of an official UPS sop or document in regards to the Load stand that would be great.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Hey everyone I am new here but have a question because i can not find the answer and was wondering if anyone here can help. Where does it say that the Load stand has to be in your truck or used? I have looked in the Employee hand book and it says nothing about Load stands at all. If someone can point me in the direction of an official UPS sop or document in regards to the Load stand that would be great.

What does your supervisor say?
If they want a load stand in the trailer put one in.

Justaloader

The supposed rule is one has to be in the trailer. Now, if you use it or not...I believe that's up to you. If you are building walls and they don't go to the top of the trailer, you may get told about that. I had to laugh when they asked me why I don't use it - I held a box over my head, and it touched the ceiling of the trailer. My sup actually asked me "well, how do you get the heavy boxes to the top of the trailer?" - I simply stated "The heavy boxes go no higher than my "power zone" - which is what was stated noless than a dozen times during training. Only the light boxes which are easily liftable go at the top." I've yet to have another mention of my not using a load stand.

Justaloader

We have a handbook?

Lol I asked HR for this (asked if there were methods and procedures, an employee handbook, etc) - and was told that I signed it during training, and that they don't give them out. I said wait - the document I signed about no fighting, stealing, etc - a one page document which is standard fanfare at any job - was the employee handbook? HR said - yep. Welcome to UPS!

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
The supposed rule is one has to be in the trailer. Now, if you use it or not...I believe that's up to you. If you are building walls and they don't go to the top of the trailer, you may get told about that. I had to laugh when they asked me why I don't use it - I held a box over my head, and it touched the ceiling of the trailer. My sup actually asked me "well, how do you get the heavy boxes to the top of the trailer?" - I simply stated "The heavy boxes go no higher than my "power zone" - which is what was stated noless than a dozen times during training. Only the light boxes which are easily liftable go at the top." I've yet to have another mention of my not using a load stand.

This is incorrect, as of my understanding. Inclusion of a load stand in trailer, or not, and use thereof isn't something that was agreed to by the union. At least not my local. Which means their "rule" means less than nothing.

However.

We have an obligation to work as directed. Period. Your supervisor decided not to be a jerk by pushing it with you, but he was well within his rights.

As long as the supervisors are not directing you to work unsafely, you have to follow their directions.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Lol I asked HR for this (asked if there were methods and procedures, an employee handbook, etc) - and was told that I signed it during training, and that they don't give them out. I said wait - the document I signed about no fighting, stealing, etc - a one page document which is standard fanfare at any job - was the employee handbook? HR said - yep. Welcome to UPS!

Your "handbook" is the Contract.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
source.gif

Days

Am I the only one that finds load stands kind of dangerous. Carrying a box that is heavy and stepping onto a load stand can be a good way to lose balance or fall.

Jstpeachy

Am I the only one that finds load stands kind of dangerous. Carrying a box that is heavy and stepping onto a load stand can be a good way to lose balance or fall.

I agree, I’m short (4’ 11) but luckily not in any trailers building walls- just regular package cars so I just don’t put heavy stuff on the top shelves. The number of oversized boxes and irregs makes using those giant plastic steps kinda not possible for half the shift anyway. Plus... knowing me I’m gonna step wrong and fall off the darn things lol *shrugs*

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I agree, I’m short (4’ 11) but luckily not in any trailers building walls- just regular package cars so I just don’t put heavy stuff on the top shelves. The number of oversized boxes and irregs makes using those giant plastic steps kinda not possible for half the shift anyway. Plus... knowing me I’m gonna step wrong and fall off the darn things lol *shrugs*
4' 11" That sounds hot!

RolloTony Brown Town

This is incorrect, as of my understanding. Inclusion of a load stand in trailer, or not, and use thereof isn't something that was agreed to by the union. At least not my local. Which means their "rule" means less than nothing.

However.

We have an obligation to work as directed. Period. Your supervisor decided not to be a jerk by pushing it with you, but he was well within his rights.

As long as the supervisors are not directing you to work unsafely, you have to follow their directions.

To the OP and @Justaloader:

I haven’t seen the load methods in a few years.... but...

Im pretty sure it says something about using a load stand when above shoulder height to assist in minimizing end range motions. If you work in a hub facility then they can easily furnish the “safe work method” that explains this.

And you absolutely need to work as directed. You can be disciplined for not following instructions. You probably won’t get fired, but it’s just a headache you don’t need. Not to mention YOURE GONNA GET HURT. If anything you should do the job exactly the way the methods say. It’ll keep you safe and keeps supervisors off your case. Win win.

trailer loader

Trailer Loader
no one in our hub uses those damn things, lol, at least on twi, they are only used by new hires during their 90 days, or when the safety are doing sweeps, or when the corporate morons are in the building doing audits, aside from that, they are never used haha,

Last edited:

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box

Ya lawn mowers and transmissions have no business up there. Its amazing there is a general consensus when it comes to hiring ups supervisors. Arrogant, insecure, incompetent, and must have borderline personality disorder

UnconTROLLed

perfection
To the OP and @Justaloader:

I haven’t seen the load methods in a few years.... but...

Im pretty sure it says something about using a load stand when above shoulder height to assist in minimizing end range motions. If you work in a hub facility then they can easily furnish the “safe work method” that explains this.

And you absolutely need to work as directed. You can be disciplined for not following instructions. You probably won’t get fired, but it’s just a headache you don’t need. Not to mention YOURE GONNA GET HURT. If anything you should do the job exactly the way the methods say. It’ll keep you safe and keeps supervisors off your case. Win win.
Loading with one is more safe than unloading, especially unloading with someone else in the trailer.

Justaloader

Your "handbook" is the Contract.

Something they won't give me, or even tell me how to find. Being inquisitive, I've found and reviewed the contract on my own. I'm a bit surprised they don't offer this information, or even advice on how to find said information, to new hires once they clear the 30 day timeframe.